NEWS: Apple's Streaming Service to Launch April 2019

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
    2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +531
      Overall, I think that this announcement points to a market that’s rapidly fragmenting. Expecting consumers to sign-up for a plethora of services just to cover all bases, content-wise, is a big ask, and unless one has deep pockets, I think that it will be unaffordable for many. The existing suppliers will start to suffer as the content that they currently rely on is withdrawn; new players will need STBs in order to get their wares to the biggest market, and so it goes on. In the UK, I think that we’re well-served now. Adding the likes of Disney, NBC and others to this market just confuses things further. Apple is very late to the game, and based on what’s been discussed above, there seems to be very little ‘must have’ material on their service that would prompt me to subscribe. Amazon and Netflix serve me well, and, if NowTV ever ups it’s PQ and SQ, I’d be tempted there. Paying ~£23/month for those services is about my limit. Apple et al will undoubtedly charge at least £7.99/month. The bar is set high for the newcomers. In the longer term, this glut will I think, result in some falling by the wayside. Content suppliers will need very deep pockets to survive. We live in interesting times, as I believe the Chinese quote goes ...

Clem

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    3. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      Guess it is a mix at the moment and no one knows what the result will be. Personally I find it very interesting to see which way it goes.

4. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,622
      I was saying this exact same thing to a friend.

People are complaining about spending £xx on Sky and getting channels they don’t watch and instead wanting to just pay for the channels they want.

But the way this is going we are going to be in same boat, with the only difference is instead of one bill we will be paying 5 or six of them......all to get the content we want.

The like of Disney say if it comes to the U.K. is actually a great way to play catch up if your not up to speed on for example the MCU like me. But once that’s been done what else are we paying for? To keep people interested all these services are going to have to go some to keep subscribers. It’s fine with a couple of services we have now, but when you have 5 and only watch content on two then your still paying for “channels” your not watching.

As for Apple, sheesh, I just dot see anything I want to watch. Being late to the party is not a problem if you offer a better service. But I just don’t see what Apple can do better. There cash reserves are slowing and being super tight I don’t se them throwing billions at this.

5. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +326
      I honestly don't understand why Apple is even entering this market.

I'm curious about Disney+ but can't see why I'd want to have an ongoing subscription once I've watched the series I'm interested in.

A crowded market is no good for the consumer, so place your bets on which of the newbies folds first! I'll bet it's Apple.

6. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +223
      In America Amazon and Roku keep doing media player price offers, so yes there is a fight for viewers eye balls. Also many more free or subscription video services coming.
      Guess they will have you taking out 12 month subscriptions next, to lock viewers in.

7. mart!

mart!

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      In the future I really hope they keep the 1 month minimum steaming contracts, as this will allow people to switch between the multiple streaming providers, binge watching the content for a month or two, before moving on to the next. In that way we will be able to keep our monthly subscription costs down, even if we won't always get content when it first airs.

8. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,550
      Do we know what kind of content Apple are looking to include? A lot of original content or a mix with 3rd party content too like Netflix?

9. Delore

Delore
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24
      There's a couple of services in the works that combine your streaming subscriptions into one payment. I can see this being what they'll eventually start pushing hard in order to discourage us from chopping and changing each month, even if it takes offering a discount on them combined they'll probably make more that way as the subs would be continuous.

10. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,550
      Disney have said that in the US, the more services of theirs you subscribe to, the bigger discount. For there that will be Hulu+, ESPN+ and Disney+ but I can't see ESPN+ every launching over here

11. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +301
      Another problem that would put many people off apple is there Apple TV box costs around £180

Unless there looking at releasing one for around £40 which I really can't see them doing..

12. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Aren't there obstacles to those kind of services? Surely, Netflix, Apple, or whoever will work against / actively prevent streaming aggregation products?

Apple surely won't approve a third party app that bundles its steaming platform into a discounted subscription?

But I'd be interested to read about the planned services that you mention...

13. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Isn't that the reason they added Airplay 2 / Homekit to a whole bunch of 3rd party TV brands? (let alone the Samsung agreement to carry iTunes TV/Movies)

Its not quite perfect for all I grant you, but some won't need to attache external peripherals to play their streaming shows on a TV.

14. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,622
      There is no way Apple’s service is going to survive on Apple TV alone. There is a reason why Netflix has 140m subscribers and Apple would be mad to ignore it. As you say, to get just one exclusive streaming service that requires a purchase of a £150+ device it’s going to die very quickly. It worked with the iPod, but it also had zero competition

15. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +301
      Wonder if there going to add this apple app to things like the amazon firestick/fireTV

As most people don't own one of the latest smart TV's

16. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Indeed - not saying it will be tough sledding for late starters like Apple.

Just that some are saying "who will buy an Apple TV" to get access to their streaming service....but Apple are opening up a bit, and I suspect they're not done. And there are plenty of Apple TVs already out there. That said, they move slowly in the main, so a Fire Apple app may still be well down the road.

17. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      meant to say "it won't be tough sledding for Apple etc".....it will, unless they bundle it with music in some discounted fashion.

18. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +638
      Illegal streaming and downloading can only increase in this situation. The only way to economically subscribe to so many services is on a monthly basis, flipping around and binge watching. We tend to the later and are currently stockpiling the latest series of True Detective for a binge watch over a few days once the series is in its final week.

19. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      Stealing stuff has always gone on, since the days of first encrypted stuff up on the bird. It is happening now. The war of encryption vs the takers will always go on.

Apple does 4k well. They know they cannot rely on a box and are addressing that. I think the industry needs this to shake things up and settle the sellers, users, isp etc etc.

20. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      I suspect the media streaming companies thinking is this : cable TV subs have historically been 80-100 USD. As such, individual streaming subs being 8-15 USD each leaves plenty of room for consumers to run 2 or even 3 side by side. That gives consumers more of the a la carte modern offering , with broad coverage, for around 40-50 USD per month.

Compared to the very poor value that was 80-100 USD cable subs, they will view the new 40-50 USD streaming sub as fine, sustainable even.

Not saying that thinking is robust, but that's where they'll be in their heads. It of course doesn't account for live sports, which is expensive and still pushes some to cable, or adds to overall costs.

For those suggesting there will be streaming aggregator offerings / apps, effectively getting you access on a discounted basis - that ain't happening, not in any officially sanctioned way. In 5-10 years perhaps, if and when the streaming models are struggling with profitability and re-align their business models, then that becomes an option. But not anytime soon.

21. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      Wouldn't like to say what will be the norm in pricing. I think this could move very quickly with subscription models.

22. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Agreed, though think we're still early stages in this in the grand scheme of things. And those following Netflix will look to largely replicate - Apple for ex, won't start a streaming service at 5 USD per month, nor 20 per month, and likely somewhere around the 8-12 USD, so again, very similar to Netflix.

Even individual sport streaming offerings are priced similarly - alot of live golf ca be had through the officially sanctioned streaming platform, for around 10 pm. Similarly for tennis, although F1's streaming is a bit less. Anyway, each streaming tick box seems to be in multiples of 10 or thereabouts,

But where it all ends up in 5-10 years time, who knows, agree with that.

23. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,501
      I dont use Netflix. I subscribe to Apple Music for the family. If there is a good offer and good content I'll be interested.

24. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      Read an opinion article somewhere that owners of Apple TV get it FOC it could be cobblers. But as usual Apple are playing it close to their chests.

They already have the infrastructure around the world to stream to many places, the next biggy is the ISP costs. I understand that we have a better deal in the UK than the US, makes sense as we are a small island and lots of competition.

Streaming will not be a PC with a big hard drive somewhere feeding it all out, all the background set up needs loot as well as fast links to back up and copy to the distribution nodes. Apple has that in place. There was a rumour that they were going to tie in with BT but now they are with a lot of suppliers App wise.

Apple also has a positive bank balance and I guess with a decent war chest. I wonder where their cut off is, as in pull the plug and fall back to core business. Netflix has one option and that is to keep going. Apple can lose a bit and keep going, Netflix can lose the lot, tis why all this original content.

25. Sandyb01

Sandyb01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Indeed, though for what its worth I'm not too bothered about all these new Netflix variants. I barely get value out of Netflix as it is, as I don't love their content (its mostly fine, great for time filling, but little of it especially exciting or compelling, to me)

I'm more interested as to how live sports evolves over the coming years. Despite lots of chatter, I suspect this will solve slowly - in the UK, live Premiership football is likely to remain on broadcast TV, as is NFL / NBA in the US (i.e. the main trophy sports).

Others like F1, golf, tennis etc are more likely to play around with more serious full-ish featured streaming alternatives.

The NFL actually have a pretty good balance now - the streaming app is all inclusive, and aggregates all the live broadcast feeds into one (in my case) Apple TV app. It's built out by other NFL programming, game archives and live NFL Network Tv broadcasts - all in, an excellent all round effort and pretty good value for 150 quid for the 5 month season.

While I appreciate few here will have tried it, but trust me, they've done it the right way and if such a thing existed for (say) Premiership / Championship football, as an alternative to paying Sky/BT, people here would love it.

Mention this only as an indication of what is possible with live sports if done well.

26. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +612
      Live sports have always been a worry for the established players especially when IPTV became a reality.

Premiere league bidding has had a few scares in recent years, many rumours of mystery bidders starting with BT. Amazon picked up some last time around (for 2019 -2022, Sky and BT did not want that package and wallets are sore apparently) and there are firms sniffing around that can blow Sky and BT out the water.

NBC were and probably still are showing every PL match live.

Buy them, stream them, big lead in for other services. I get BT broadband for the Rugby, someone else buy rugby rights, I am interested in moving.

It will be interesting to see if Apple up the game so to speak and go for the game. Or tie in with another supplier such as BT or Sky in the UK.

4k glass to glass is established.

27. nero0410

nero0410
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,937
      I don't subscribe to anything to do with movies or music, so... nope.

28. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,501
      Not even BBC?

29. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +345
      It will come down to these five:
      Netflix
      Amazon
      Disney
      Apple, and... in the UK...
      BBC (because we have no choice about paying for it)...

No one else has either the depth of content or the pockets to catch up. And I'm fine with this. If they all offer must-haves, competition can only be a good thing.

I would guess Apple will make their service free to Apple TV owners. If not, it would make strong business sense to do so.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    30. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +531
      Netflix serves me well, especially as my nephew pays for it at present and gives me access. That, combined with Amazon, seems to cover pretty much everything that I'm interested in. The odd thing that has surfaced on Sky/NowTV, such as Fortitude, seems to be available on DVD/BR, and once the price drops from silly money, works well in the VFM stakes. As I said above, NowTV is tempting, but not whilst it's such rubbish quality. An ATV 4K is tempting too -- Amazon, Netflix, NowTV and Apple in one spot, were it not for the fact that Amazon audio quality seems stereo a lot of the time. Fix NowTV and Amazon and I'd go for an ATV box and then possibly subscribe to Apple's service, content permitting, but that would be my limit.

I suspect that a lot of the newer services will be web or app-based. Unless there's a big inducement, I can't see the likes of Apple, NowTV or Amazon hosting apps. on their boxes, but i suppose that Roku is a possibility. I certainly wouldn't want to watch a paid-for service solely on computer, 'phone or tablet, but I suppose for many that will be fine. As mentioned above, who knows? Apps may appear on Smart TVs perhaps, but who'd buy a new TV just to get access to say the Disney or NBC apps?

My main concern here is that the existing services will become 'diluted', offering poorer value for money. Offering original content is fine, but that won't be enough. Time will tell, but for now, I have way too many things on my watchlist and too little time to watch it all!

Clem