NEWS: Apple's new iPad Pro features mini-LED display

But it's hard to justify the upgrade with what I use my iPad for 🤔
Me too, I’m a sat on the couch user or in bed. But I use it hours per day so it’s as essential as the shower, kettle, TV or PC. Blow the price and just get the best you can. Not using the 12.9 now just seems wrong.

Anywhere in stock right now for the 12.9?

Me too, I’m a sat on the couch user or in bed. But I use it hours per day so it’s as essential as the shower, kettle, TV or PC. Blow the price and just get the best you can. Not using the 12.9 now just seems wrong.
That’s my justification. I can hardly say I don’t get use out of my iPad, so although it’s a hell of a lot to spend, it’ll do me the next 3 years.

The screen is a quantum leap over the 2nd gen (which to be fair, is no slouch).

The screen is a quantum leap over the 2nd gen (which to be fair, is no slouch).
Yes the screen is very good. I was watching some YouTube last night and the consistent black level was like a decent OLED TV, that was impressive. It’s also just generally a bit snappier in general use so all as expected.

Well I can get £380 for my iPad Pro 2nd Gen 256GB

Which it I got the new iPad would mean I'd be getting it for either £619 or £719 depending if I stayed at 256GB or dropped my storage

Loving my new 12.9 pro. Probably overkill but what an awesome device. Bought a magic keyboard too and they are a lovely pair. Might even not need to upgrade my Mac Book Pro later this year depending on what IPADOS 15 throws at us.

Daughter is very happy to inherit my old 2017 12.9 model which is still a more than capable device.

Loving my new 12.9 pro. Probably overkill but what an awesome device. Bought a magic keyboard too and they are a lovely pair. Might even not need to upgrade my Mac Book Pro later this year depending on what IPADOS 15 throws at us.

Daughter is very happy to inherit my old 2017 12.9 model which is still a more than capable device.
I’m desperately trying to think of a justification for getting the magic keyboard, but it’s a hell of a lot of money for something I will probably not use very much. Even the “non magic” folio is 200 quid!

I’m desperately trying to think of a justification for getting the magic keyboard, but it’s a hell of a lot of money for something I will probably not use very much. Even the “non magic” folio is 200 quid!
I love it. You are right though it’s super expensive. I was torn but really pleased I went for it.

Other options may be better buys but money well spent for me. Really adds to the flexibility and much better quality than the one I had before on a surface pro.

I can deduct the cost of any case I might have bought 🤪

Will i need a new gen folio case for the 12.9 or will a previous gen fit ok

Will i need a new gen folio case for the 12.9 or will a previous gen fit ok
Well I bought a new one based on the fact that the dimensions are different and I’d read a number of times that the old wouldn’t fit. But I’ve also now read that older ones will but not that snugly. At 15-60 quid for a new case hardly seems much of an outlay on top.

Don’t worry, older smart folios fit absolutely fine (as long as they’re 4th gen compatible with the newer camera cutout). I got a white one for 30 quid off eBay. (They sell pretty quick, as I think people have now cottoned on that they fit the new IPP).

It’s funny, some of the more Apple-obsessed forums are getting worked up over issues with the new screen - mainly blooming around text on a black screen, and a slight darkening of the edges.

Being on an AV forum, I’m pretty picky about image quality (but admittedly nowhere near some on here 😳), and I think these issues are marginal at best. I think a little bit of blooming is going to be inevitable if you really look for it on certain types of high-contrast image, but generally local contrast is very, very good (albeit not as good as the excellent micro-contrast that gives oled its characteristic quality). Similarly, the edge issue very subtle, but I think some will perceive it more than others. You do really have to look for it though. (Unlike my old gen 2 12.9” which now has absolutely terrible stage-lighting along the left side).

On the whole, the screen is subjectively excellent in most regards, and I think the colour cast is a little more true than the oled of the latest iphones, which I find a little warm (even with true tone disabled - which is way too warm for my tastes).

Don’t worry, older smart folios fit absolutely fine (as long as they’re 4th gen compatible with the newer camera cutout). I got a white one for 30 quid off eBay. (They sell pretty quick, as I think people have now cottoned on that they fit the new IPP).
Yes I’m not happy with my current case, too heavy. So just ordered another and the manufacturer says it fits both 4th and 5th gen.

I've noticed that the charging leads are different for the iPad Pro and the iphone 12 max
is there a way I can use just one charging cable for both

I've noticed that the charging leads are different for the iPad Pro and the iphone 12 max
is there a way I can use just one charging cable for both
iPhones use lightning and the iPad Pros use USB C. Unless you find a two-head charger, you’re probably gonna need two different cables. I had hoped the newest iPhones would’ve moved to USB C like the iPads. Much more stable connection.

It is expensive. I’ve had one for the past two years or so. Love it. Why wouldn’t you use it? I use mine all the time. It makes a fantastic display stand for watching movies (tilt-able, great angles, very stable) and I use the keyboard for all my typing (not a fan of taping on glass to type). Plus you can use keyboard shortcuts. It’s a good bit of protection too. I’ve not regrets whatsoever. In my book, it’s what makes the iPad Pro pro.

Initial impression after owning a 3rd generation iPad Pro for a couple of years is that the 5th gen Pro with miniLED screen has a much shorter battery life. Down about 40% after a couple of hours of light use (no videos).

Initial impression after owning a 3rd generation iPad Pro for a couple of years is that the 5th gen Pro with miniLED screen has a much shorter battery life. Down about 40% after a couple of hours of light use (no videos).
True but I turned the brightness down and it’s now much better.

I have my home WiFi split into 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Typically I’ll set the iPads to 5. When I run the battery down to zero and start recharge the 21 series Pro ipad locks onto the 2.4 first, because presumably that’s what it first finds. My 2018 Pro would always lock back onto 5, since that had previously been selected. Not an issue as such, just a difference I’ve noticed between models.

I’ve noticed that GoogleEarth is miles slicker on the new Pro vs my 2nd gen. On my old one, there’s const buffering in 3D mode, within the % loading always catching up with the movements. On the new one, it’s almost instantaneous. I’m not quite sure whether this is the increase memory, or maybe the graphics unit? Either way, it’s very impressive.

To be fair, my iPhone 12 is very slick, with no buffering, as well.

How easy is this beast to hold one handed and use?
I tend to loaf on the sofa and hold my 1st gen 11” pro in one hand whilst flicking / typing with the other.
specs give it 1lb -> 1.5lb so 50% heavier.
Is it manageable or really unwieldy?
I’ll have to go and try one on the high street but this forum is a top place for honest feedback so thought I’d ask.
Thanks
Lighty

It’s not exactly light, but I’ve come from the 2nd gen 12.9, which is bigger/heavier. I find the bigger screen more than makes up for any decreased portability.

edit I had a regular iPad before the 2nd gen, and didn’t struggle going to a 12.9.

Thanks Rob.
Vert tempting …

Also, Currys are now doing the Magic Keyboard for £199. It’s the prev gen, but as has been confirmed, it works and fits fine. Arguably it’s still quite a bit for a keyboard, but it’s a great bit of kit.

Since I bought this I’ve been getting a flickering screen when surfing in Safari. Everything is fine then the screen will suddenly darken. Go to another page and full brightness back. I’ve tried a number of internet suggested fixes but I can’t solve this. Anyone else have similar?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom