NEWS: Apple's new iPad Pro features mini-LED display

Yes, I wasn’t taking any chances for the same reasons.

I think iPads have a more decent longevity than eg phones. My current Pro is nearly 4 years old, and runs everything pretty smoothly - and it’ll get relegated to secondary duties - it has life in it yet (it’s got the dreaded screen delamination at the bottom though - annoying, but not the end of the world). My wife still uses an old Air (2nd gen) which is over 6.

That’s why I don’t mind splashing out on something I’ll keep for a while. It’s also why it’s pointless/expensive getting into a yearly/biyearly replacement cycle though.

Forgot all about it busy day ordered one just now with an estimated delivery of 17-30 June
Will try John Lewis on May 21st see if I can get one earlier

I managed to get an order in for the 12.9" and 11" and going to test both out before returning one.

My delivery date states 'Arrives 27th May' - which is odd because its a Thursday

Ordering was a complete shambles !!! items kept jumping out of the basket and people had to keep adding them in... utter chaos

1619800941213.png
1619800968798.png

Last edited:
It’s always a bit mental for the initial preorder. I imagine that once the fuss has died down it’ll be no drama, but I think there’s a fair amount of pent-up demand for the new Pro - it’s arguably a major jump from 3rd and 4th gen, as well as a good time for anyone on 1st or 2nd. Similar thing happened with the iPhone 12 - quite a few people hadn’t upgraded since the X, so there were quite a few people waiting for the new model.

I think Apple stuff has got so expensive now that yearly upgrading is getting rarer.

Forgot all about it busy day ordered one just now with an estimated delivery of 17-30 June
Will try John Lewis on May 21st see if I can get one earlier
I've managed to get every iPhone we've wanted on release day without a problem from JL... walk past the massive queue outside Apple store, past the O2,Vodaphone shops etc with handwritten notes saying sold out or 256GB version only, in the shop, up the stairs and back out in 15 minutes phone in hand.
My delivery date states 'Arrives 27th May' - which is odd because its a Thursday
Couriers don't normally work around your area on a Thursday or something?

I've managed to get every iPhone we've wanted on release day without a problem from JL... walk past the massive queue outside Apple store, past the O2,Vodaphone shops etc with handwritten notes saying sold out or 256GB version only, in the shop, up the stairs and back out in 15 minutes phone in hand.

I’m got a 4 pack of airtags from John Lewis and about an hour ago apple showing middle of June for delivery
our local JL is one of the ones that hasn’t reopened
gutted my favourite store

Apples ‘new release‘ products are renowned to be delivered Fridays

Apples ‘new release‘ products are renowned to be delivered Fridays
First delivery day of new products are often on Fridays, particularly iPhones but yours isn't a release day delivery... I'm not buying today but they are giving an estimate of 24th - 28th May were I to order my chosen config.

Official release day is 21 May which is a friday

I have the first gen Ipad Pro 9.7 which is still going strong but fancied a bit larger screen and promotion for browsing and reading, will see how it improves things. Now just ordered from Amazon; 2020 Pro 11 inch version. Did think about the 2020 Air but it doesn't have Promotion and less brighter.

Looked at the spec for the new 2021 Pro 11 and nothing there that would make me tempt it, as I'm not going to use all it's high powered features and it still has an LCD panel. I would have gone for it, if it had the same Mini-LED screen as the larger version, which is too large for me.

I use my Ipad for browsing and reading, so much handier than a laptop, that you could use sitting on a sofa.

To be honest, the 11” Pro is a little bit niche IMO. You’re paying a premium for features a lot of people may not use, so in some ways it’ll only appeal to power users. I imagine that in an ideal world, they’d have given it the new XDR screen, but supplies must’ve been the issue.

I had expected Apple to have taken my money by now but the order is still at the processing stage. Obviously the way they do things, it’s the first time I’ve bought an iPad directly from them.

I had expected Apple to have taken my money by now but the order is still at the processing stage. Obviously the way they do things, it’s the first time I’ve bought an iPad directly from them.
They are the same as the likes of Amazon, they only take payment at point of dispatch

I’m currently weighing up options for cases/keyboards for the 12.9. The question is going to be whether 4th gen stuff will fit on the 5th without problems. Clearly 3rd gen has a different camera layout, but the 4th seems to have pretty much everything the same expect a little bit of extra thickness. The 4th gen kit is generally going to be cheaper than the 5th.

Obviously we’ll only find out for sure when the Pro is out in the wild.

New 12.9 is 6.4mm thick vs 5.9 for the 4th gen, so might need to be careful which case you choose

There’s a YouTube video showing what appears to be the old magic keyboard on the new Pro. Looks like it fits quite well. (Still a lot of money spend on a keyboard, even if you manage to save a bit on a 1sr gen).

They are the same as the likes of Amazon, they only take payment at point of dispatch
Well they finally took the money today. Still saying the 27th for delivery.

Mine is still indicating 21-27, but preparing to ship. Should be in next few days.

The reviews are out now and pretty much as expected. There’s an element of “do you need this much power?” - which they’ve said about most iPad Pro’s on release, but will be good future proofing (especially when the next/next but one Air eclipses it!).

The geeks are arguing about OLED vs mini-LED, but I’m quietly confident the display will be pretty good, and black levels in most real-life scenarios will be excellent.

Mine is still indicating 21-27, but preparing to ship. Should be in next few days.

The reviews are out now and pretty much as expected. There’s an element of “do you need this much power?” - which they’ve said about most iPad Pro’s on release, but will be good future proofing (especially when the next/next but one Air eclipses it!).

The geeks are arguing about OLED vs mini-LED, but I’m quietly confident the display will be pretty good, and black levels in most real-life scenarios will be excellent.

When it comes to power, enough is never enough. Apple have really knocked it out the park with the M1 and they are working on an upgrade possibly due later this year.

Got my dispatch notification and should be with me tomorrow :thumbsup:

Got my dispatch notification and should be with me tomorrow :thumbsup:
For anyone watching the tracking on their orders it’s odd to note that the package was picked up in Hinckley which is in Leicestershire but has made its way up to Ryton which is in Geordie land :eek:

Its being delivered to me in London tomorrow so it’s getting a nice lap of this fair isle beforehand. Funny how delivery services work, it’s not as if there is an airport in Ryton.

Il est arrive but unfortunately tied up with stupid work. Hope to get to it tonight.

I’m very impressed with the new 12.9. The screen pretty much lives up to the hype. Real pop, and very good black levels on hdr content. Everything else is very nippy, but to be fair, my 2nd gen wasn’t really struggling with what I use mine for.

I really want to upgrade my iPad Pro 2nd Gen to the new one, getting rid of Touch ID, smaller body and slimmer bezels

But it's hard to justify the upgrade with what I use my iPad for 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom