NEWS: Apple's new iPad Pro features mini-LED display

@Andy Bassett

Maybe worthwhile changing the main title to ‘Apple‘s new 12.9....’

I’m a bit peeved it’s only the 12.9 getting the fantastic new display...but hey ho :(

I'm hoping I can snag one next Friday. It's a lot of money but I've been saving for it ever since the rumours about it started.

Liking the new specked 12.9” and looking to replace my still superb 2018 12.9. And just in time for my birthday :D

I suppose that as so many people have been working from home then it would pay Apple to tempt them with a new top of the range model

I don't get it

iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB storage for £1,100 basically has the same innards as the iMac 24" 256GB 8core for £1,400 but take off the cost of the mouse and keyboard is £1,200

4x the screen and a stand but lose the battery and touch screen only costs £100 more.

Obviously really different propositions but its where the software is going that interests me more... the iMac can run the iOS apps subject to developers permission. At the moment the iPad cannot run MacOS apps and feels more clunky using a mouse (in particular) than iOS apps on the M1 Macs using a mouse instead of touchscreen.

It is tempting for drawing purposes but I'm struggling with it being like a Surface Pro without being a full laptop replacement.

I think comparing to MacBook with the M1 chip is a closer comparator both in display size and the Apple silicon

I think comparing to MacBook with the M1 chip is a closer comparator both in display size and the Apple silicon
Hu? The new 24" iMac has the same M1 8+8 core system on a chip... in fact it somewhat looks like a giant iPad on a stand.

Hu? The new 24" iMac has the same M1 8+8 core system on a chip... in fact it somewhat looks like a giant iPad on a stand.

Okay but a person is still more likely to be choosing between iPad plus keyboard versus the MacBook M1. A potential buyer ought to know whether they require a 24" desktop

Okay but a person is still more likely to be choosing between iPad plus keyboard versus the MacBook M1. A potential buyer ought to know whether they require a 24" desktop
Think you are still missing the main point of my post though which was the penultimate paragraph...

They've harmonised the core hardware... the MacOS devices can run iOS applications but iPad cannot run MacOS. They haven't given much comments on the A12z -v- the M1 but certainly I'd assume its more of a step change than going to the A13z would have been (or maybe I'm overestimating here).

I'm struggling to understand the need for its capability when limited to iOS apps especially when the M1 has notably cut the price of Macs but increased the cost of iPads

Think you are still missing the main point of my post though which was the penultimate paragraph...

I follow everything you have written about the limitations of iPad OS and the iPad not yet being equivalent to Mac OS or Windows. I was simply saying a purchaser (such as a university student thinking of what to take into lectures) is more likely to decide between an iPad plus keyboard or the MacBook because of the form factor rather than the iMac and that is all. Peace ✌️😎

I was simply saying a purchaser (such as a university student thinking of what to take into lectures) is more likely to decide between an iPad plus keyboard or the MacBook because of the form factor rather than the iMac and that is all.
Still leaves the same unanswered questions, 13" MBP -v- iPad Pro 12.9" plus keyboard the laptop is cheaper, MBA is cheaper still.

It leaves me thinking I am missing something or there is more OS harmonisation on the horizon... hence trying to start a discussion on where things are going rather than what are the two items people are more likely to be considering.

That said, in an office with a BYO policy where everyone had taken the option and brought in their own laptop, one guy did have his own 27" iMac on his desk

I bet this display will be breathtaking.

Will likely upgrade my MBP this year. I've been waiting for an evolution in screen tech to ditch my MBP (its the last one to feature a HDMI port).

Sad that not many windows 10/gaming brands have managed to get hold of the same tech/screens.

Will the mini led screen improve the screen when used outside in the sun ?

Will the mini led screen improve the screen when used outside in the sun ?
The fact its mini-LED will make no material difference in itself. If they happen to have chosen to change the screen coatings, brightness etc as well as switching then it may be that its better (or worse)

Until Apple’s computers and laptops get a touchscreen, there is no comparison. At least for me. Why they haven’t done this yet is beyond me. I really do not like using a mouse. Feels a bit too 1990 to me.

For me personally I use a PC for PC duties and a tablet for tablet duties. I like the iPad Pro 12.9 because it’s the largest size Apple tablet there is. Not interested in video editing, which for some reason they like to focus on to show capability.

I would happily see a lesser chip and performance with a great screen in a big size tablet. But sadly Apple does not do it.

For me personally I use a PC for PC duties and a tablet for tablet duties. I like the iPad Pro 12.9 because it’s the largest size Apple tablet there is. Not interested in video editing, which for some reason they like to focus on to show capability.

I would happily see a lesser chip and performance with a great screen in a big size tablet. But sadly Apple does not do it.
I’m in the same camp. The M1 chip is more future proofing than anything, as I don’t think I push my 2nd gen Pro. After having a 12.9, I just find the 11 too small. I do however value a good display, so I suspect if there was a non-Pro 12.9, it would have a regular display - so they’ve kind of got me!

I’m in the same camp. The M1 chip is more future proofing than anything, as I don’t think I push my 2nd gen Pro. After having a 12.9, I just find the 11 too small. I do however value a good display, so I suspect if there was a non-Pro 12.9, it would have a regular display - so they’ve kind of got me!
Yeah I was recently using a mini but it felt like a toy in comparison to the 12.9. I know it has a different intended use but I just prefer the big 12.9 in all ways, although I have no need of a fast chip.

Now ordered. Orders became available at 1pm. Delivery 21-27 May.

👍 You were pretty quick, there!

I’ve just got mine ordered as well, also saying 21-27. It’ll be interesting to see if times slip as the preorders come in. I don’t think the iPad, particularly the Pro has quite the demand of eg the latest phone though.

👍 You were pretty quick, there!

I’ve just got mine ordered as well, also saying 21-27. It’ll be interesting to see if times slip as the preorders come in. I don’t think the iPad, particularly the Pro has quite the demand of eg the latest phone though.
I wasn’t going to miss out on the first batch with all that may be going on with shortage of components and all that. I even engraved this one, don’t plan on selling it and hopefully will still be using five years from now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom