NEWS: Apple's March event hints at TV streaming service launch

"The report also states that other services won’t be staying around, so don’t expect to see Netflix or Hulu"

That would be bad news for people like myself that use Apple TV for streaming Netflix to a Projector! :eek:

IMHO, one of the attractions of an ATV box is that it offers the services from other market players. If the likes of Amazon, Netflix, NowTV, etc. are removed then the ATV box would look to be way too expensive a proposition just to get Apple’s service, which, at first pass, doesn’t seem to have a lot to offer. Not that I think that the other players are that bothered — it’s one less platform to support. Yet again though, it seems that Apple is making that same old proprietary, closed shop decision and hasn’t learned from past mistakes. People want interoperability, and killing off the competition that way would see to me to be a big retrograde step. Still, come 25/03, all will be revealed ...

Clem

"The report also states that other services won’t be staying around, so don’t expect to see Netflix or Hulu"

That would be bad news for people like myself that use Apple TV for streaming Netflix to a Projector! :eek:
This is good timing for me as I was looking at buying an ATV this week to get Netflix with Atmos for my projector, but now I will hang fire. Annoying though...

Is Netflix pulling the plug rather than Apple?

I still have Netflix on my TV and BT box but losing it from Apple is no biggy for me. Netflix 4k is a bit meh, might drop it when Disney is out.

I am in the same boat, and while we are at it why doesn’t the Amazon Prime app on ATV 3 (the old model) support 5.1?
We also have a PS3 wired in which, to my continual pleasant surprise, remains updated and able to cope with seemingly any and all streaming services - yes even Prime with 5.1 which I have to have for The Expanse!

It is up to the App developers to make it work I thought. Apple just gives them access. Perhaps not many ATV 3 users enough to warrant the money to continue?

I think its why Apple went App on some new devices, the physical item not shifting in enough quantities.

If competitor apps were pulled from ATV, it would be devastating to its utility. I personally would seek a full refund from Apple, and would expect some sort of class action to emerge against it. Will watch closely.

Footnote: Andy, you gone done one of my tech news pet hates ;). Substituting a description for the company name because you've already said Apple a few times. 'the Cupertino firm'? Just say Apple. Please, for the love of God, just say Apple. :rotfl:

Last edited:
My broken record today.
Who is pulling the apps? I read that Netflix is refusing some data to Apple hence a spat there, not exactly sure what that is about. (report on Bloomberg hints at it)

Also, there are T+C you sign when you tick that box and never read them. One says subject to change at will (sort of). You agree to that.

Making my decision easier with Netflix, depending on what is on offer with Apple TV.
On the flip side there are more snippets coming out in the press on what could be on Apple TV, who they are trying to cosy up to etc.
Day of reckoning and gawd awful cringing audience next Monday. I wish firms would just issue a bit of paper out the HQ front door to the press.

I just wish companies would realise that consumers want to take services from more than one provider and support their apps cross platform. I currently have two streaming boxes and if I want to grab Apple’s new offering, that would be three, too many. Apple has the opportunity to clean-up here by supporting everything on one box. It won’t of course ...

Clem

I don't think Apple can block 3rd party Apps can they? I can understand not Integrating them into the TV App though.

I don't see Apples service being all that really

If this is what Apple is planning to deliver with its new TV service — see Apple TV streaming service: all the shows it's commissioned | WIRED UK — then I can’t see it lasting long, IMHO. Too US-focussed for international tastes methinks, too sanitised, too late. Perhaps I’ll be proved wrong tomorrow, when it’s launched, but if the article is correct then I don’t think that Amazon or Netflix have anything to worry about. Apple won’t be getting my money, if that’s the best that it will offer.

Clem

Good to see that the new device will be made available to Roku, Fire Sticks and Smart TVs too. (Don’t remember a mention of Chromecast support mind?). Still currently really sceptical on it getting much subscription money out of me. I can see me keeping Netflix all year round, and then swapping between Apple, Disney and Amazon as the “other option” throughout the year. Still looks a little sanitised for my tastes in general.

Apple really aren't the company it was under Jobs. Hey everyone really become a 'me too' company that doesn't really innovate anymore.

What did they announce about this that's unique?

Apple really aren't the company it was under Jobs. Hey everyone really become a 'me too' company that doesn't really innovate anymore.

What did they announce about this that's unique?

Nope I agree, there’s very little new here. More content choice is always a good things, personally I’d POSSIBLY be interested in a couple of shows here and there. (Way too early to say that without so much as a decent trailer for anything anyway.)

The “Thing” I was hoping for (but logically knew still wasn’t anywhere near a reality) was the often rumoured Theatrical movie Rental/subscription service. I know how much the theatre chains would hate letting something like that exist, but it doesn’t stop me secretly hoping someone manages to pull it off. Alas, no.

I think that will happen eventually.

I think Disney will be the first to jump on that bandwagon. They're movies do gangbusters at the cinema but I can imagine that for a hefty premium, people would pay to watch the movies at the cinema, at home at the same time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom