NEWS: Apple's March event hints at TV streaming service launch

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
    2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +339
      "The report also states that other services won’t be staying around, so don’t expect to see Netflix or Hulu"

That would be bad news for people like myself that use Apple TV for streaming Netflix to a Projector! :eek:

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +569
      IMHO, one of the attractions of an ATV box is that it offers the services from other market players. If the likes of Amazon, Netflix, NowTV, etc. are removed then the ATV box would look to be way too expensive a proposition just to get Apple’s service, which, at first pass, doesn’t seem to have a lot to offer. Not that I think that the other players are that bothered — it’s one less platform to support. Yet again though, it seems that Apple is making that same old proprietary, closed shop decision and hasn’t learned from past mistakes. People want interoperability, and killing off the competition that way would see to me to be a big retrograde step. Still, come 25/03, all will be revealed ...

Clem

4. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,000
      This is good timing for me as I was looking at buying an ATV this week to get Netflix with Atmos for my projector, but now I will hang fire. Annoying though...

5. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +757
      Is Netflix pulling the plug rather than Apple?

I still have Netflix on my TV and BT box but losing it from Apple is no biggy for me. Netflix 4k is a bit meh, might drop it when Disney is out.

6. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +152
      I am in the same boat, and while we are at it why doesn’t the Amazon Prime app on ATV 3 (the old model) support 5.1?
      We also have a PS3 wired in which, to my continual pleasant surprise, remains updated and able to cope with seemingly any and all streaming services - yes even Prime with 5.1 which I have to have for The Expanse!

7. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +757
      It is up to the App developers to make it work I thought. Apple just gives them access. Perhaps not many ATV 3 users enough to warrant the money to continue?

I think its why Apple went App on some new devices, the physical item not shifting in enough quantities.

8. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +401
      If competitor apps were pulled from ATV, it would be devastating to its utility. I personally would seek a full refund from Apple, and would expect some sort of class action to emerge against it. Will watch closely.

Footnote: Andy, you gone done one of my tech news pet hates ;). Substituting a description for the company name because you've already said Apple a few times. 'the Cupertino firm'? Just say Apple. Please, for the love of God, just say Apple. :rotfl:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    9. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +757
      My broken record today.
      Who is pulling the apps? I read that Netflix is refusing some data to Apple hence a spat there, not exactly sure what that is about. (report on Bloomberg hints at it)

Also, there are T+C you sign when you tick that box and never read them. One says subject to change at will (sort of). You agree to that.