NEWS: Apple's M1 chips launched in new MacBooks

iamsludge

Can you correct the heading/strapline, it’s silicon; not silicone.

These will be great consumer focused Macs, professionals have to wait longer for higher end MBP and iMacs.

Tase

I don’t like that fact that the RAM is not user upgradeable...putting on the SoC is not a good idea imo and Apple’s memory prices....the less said!

Stutto

None of the new models having thunderbolt ports on both sides has disappointed me more than anything else. Just makes charging whilst in use so much easier...

CamFire

Distinguished Member
As a engineer familiar with the performance challenges faced for a silicon chip/SoC of this complexity, I can understand why memory is now on the die as opposed to being off-chip. I only wish the lowest possible size is 16GB - and this should resolve the RAM upgrade question for many.

stuart07970

None of the new models having thunderbolt ports on both sides has disappointed me more than anything else. Just makes charging whilst in use so much easier...
...and don’t even start me off about the fact they gave up on mag safe, and just as the time is healing the pain they add it where it’s barely needed on the damned iPhone for people whe are too dim to put their phone down correctly.
My 2011 MacBook Pro (with mag safe) will march on, but not for long!

Tempest

Distinguished Member
3, 5, 10 times the performance of something we're not going to tell you.

Looking forward to benchmarks and REAL tests.

Don't like this, X times better, or cheaper, or cooler than some best selling PC we've just decided upon.

jont

3, 5, 10 times the performance of something we're not going to tell you.

Looking forward to benchmarks and REAL tests.

Don't like this, X times better, or cheaper, or cooler than some best selling PC we've just decided upon.
As a marketing strategy it hasn’t seemed to harm iPhone/iPad sales so far - some of which are more expensive than the M1 macs !

I agree it’s a bold move for the computer marketplace though ... the benchmarks next week will be interesting- got my eye on a M1 mini running native Lightroom in December to replace my 2015 iMac if the numbers work out - then a new Mx iMac in 2021 ...

Evinger

...and don’t even start me off about the fact they gave up on mag safe, and just as the time is healing the pain they add it where it’s barely needed on the damned iPhone for people whe are too dim to put their phone down correctly.
My 2011 MacBook Pro (with mag safe) will march on, but not for long!
Agreed & agreed! I have a 2015 MBP, & love everything about it - apart from the weight, sometimes! :)

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I will expect a far better user experience with them as compared to the ARM-based Chromebooks currently out there.

Remember also the new MacBook Air has no fan - a big plus!

jont

Tase

Yep, very tasty. One question though why is the the M1 13” MBP slower than the equivalent M1 powered Macbook Air in multicore tests?

iamsludge

looks like the M1 Air is faster than the 16” Intel MBP !

I’ll need a bigger screen and more RAM so might have to wait for the higher end MBP releases... very tempted though...

(how did I miss the posts above lol).

Tase

If you can afford the cost of the extra RAM I would recommend you buy it....nothing on these machines is user upgradeable in the future.

Last edited:

jont

I wonder if their more efficient use of memory inside the M1 now means that their 16Gb onboard RAM limit is effectively 32Gb of normal memory storage ? ... otherwise they'll never sell any 16" M1 MBPs or 27" M1 iMac's ... I'm also assuming they've developed multiple M1 configurations for the larger Mac's not included in the launch ?

shahedz

Distinguished Member
If you can afford the cost of the extra RAM I would recommend you buy it....nothing on these machines is user upgradeable in the future.
I think I will upgrade the ram and the HD to 500gb.
My current MBP I bought in 2009 upgraded the ram and SSD and it’s still going strong . Just can no longer upgrade so they’re worth the investment .

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Just to clarify, despite me not wishing to ever buy one, simply as I don't wish to be locked into Apple's restrictions.
I am very interested and excited in what Apple is doing here.
I'm aware, one COULD suggest it's cheating a little to hard code into a SOC functions that directly relate to specific software programs, so you can deal with 4K video streams.
I mean it's not cheating, so let's say it's optimizing shall we :)
And that's great.
We're just going to need to see what it's like when running all types of software.
After all Intel/AMD do make very general purpose chips which are designed to run, pretty much everything and anything that's thrown at them, without being too finely tuned to certain narrow tasks.

But it's going to be interesting to see the reality here.
It's going to be great for everyone that's for sure, as it will only serve to drive everything forward.

They do say about how cool these things will run, but then there is a fan in the Pro, which runs quicker, so can only presume from that, they don't run that cool then, as it's thermal throttling in the Air, otherwise it would run as fast :)

CamFire

Distinguished Member
This sort of optimisation is quite common in IC design - streamlining product features for performance improvements to trade off against market acceptance and pricing.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
More than happy with optimizations if it pays of in many scenarios :)

If I may make a silly analogy:
I'd rather a car that did 70 on any road, than a car which did 100 on one type of very special road and 50 on all other roads ;)

All that aside. This is just the 1st chip, and if anyone know anything about Apple products, you know the 1st of almost anything they make is a bit........ Well........ Let's say, the 2nd gen is a lot better often.

Exciting times.
Two things of main concern.

1: RAM (many people with strong views on this)
2: GPU performance, Hopefully this will grow in time, though it's Apple not NVidia, so let's see how far they can go given X more years to work on it.

Roll on the REAL reviews I say :)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
yep definitely , air it is for me.
Out of curiosity
If you are already going to spend £1000, then why not spend just another £300 and get the brighter screen, faster chip, better battery version?

Just wondering :)

CamFire

Distinguished Member
yep definitely , air it is for me.
Me too - I just cannot resist the idea of a fan-less laptop with enough compute power for browsing, etc. and yet last well over half a day on battery. Yet - pack that macOS features which I adored for all these years....

*BUT* - for the new to come, the old must go :( .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom