NEWS: Apple TV Plus eyeing up November launch at $9.99 per month

Awesome. They might offer a £99 for 12months like they always do for Apple Music.

I hope they have a Apple Music/TV Plus bundle offer, but expect that will be next year. Post evaluation of TV service ROI.

$9.99 for Oprah or $6.99 for Disney+. Tough choice.

$9.99 for Oprah or $6.99 for Disney+. Tough choice.
Further to that, $9,99 for Oprah, or $6,99 for Disney+ maybe next year = no to both for me.
Awesome. They might offer a £99 for 12months like they always do for Apple Music.

I hope they have a Apple Music/TV Plus bundle offer, but expect that will be next year. Post evaluation of TV service ROI.
MAYBE, if they did a decent Bundle price (Say, $15,99 for both) I would go for it. Maybe.

A tv and music bundle would be tempting, at the right price and providing there’s a bit more worth watching on it than we’ve seen so far.

Are all these main services really "rivals" though?

Disney+ will (eventually if not already) be the only place to get Disney content (inc. Marvel and Star Wars). Netflix and Amazon have different stuff still.

So:

if I want Amazon Originals I need to pay for that
if I want Netflix Originals I need to pay for that
if I want Disney/Marvel I need to pay for that
if I want Apple Originals I need to pay that

That isn't "rivalry" to me - not many people will only have 1 and if they do it will be Netflix for the greater selection. No one is going to bin Amazon and/or Netflix and replace solely with Disney+. Rivalry is all having the same content and you then get to choose the best price/experience. Basically like a car: Vauxhall, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes etc. are rivals in that you only need one of their cars for the entire act of driving. HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo are rivals in the same way.

Then you have BBC iPlayer, All 4, My5 etc. and I can see before long basically every traditional distinct TV channel will move to their own distinct subscription service. So we'll have 2 dozen services, 2 dozen subscriptions, 2 dozen disparate interfaces within those services' apps and so on.

What TiVO, Sky, Virgin etc. have all done in content aggregation in a single, consistent UI will be gone.

Cars are hardly the same.

How many times do you change car?

Yes, if you want certain things you’ll subscribe to certain services, but there are already too many and too expensive for what they are.

It’s like the football, if I want to watch all televised Arsenal games I need to subscribe to BT, Sky and now Amazon... or I could just watch them all on an illegal stream.

Which is exactly where this will all end up. The execs will all be sitting there scratching their heads wondering where the money has all gone when people start pirating everything.

The only reason it works now because we haven’t been flooded with different services and don’t have to have a hundred different subscriptions.

It’s like the football, if I want to watch all televised Arsenal games I need to subscribe to BT, Sky and now Amazon... or I could just watch them all on an illegal stream.

Which is exactly where this will all end up. The execs will all be sitting there scratching their heads wondering where the money has all gone when people start pirating everything.

The only reason it works now because we haven’t been flooded with different services and don’t have to have a hundred different subscriptions.

Agreed - I won't write it here again, but my rant about stupid decisions & what it did to the Record Industry is over on the "No Disney+ for UK" Discussion

What it needs is an Apple Music/Spotify/Amazon Music type deal where you pay a monthly fee and watch what you want.

Will never happen though.

$9.99 a month in the states = £9.99 a month here..... as Jenny Campbell used to say "I'm out"

Needs to be under a fiver for me to even consider it. Don’t see that happening though.

There are going to be some casualties in this space of the market I think..... And looking at balance sheets - it might well be Netflix.....

IMO what needs to happen is that we need a service that aggerates all the content across the platfroms, sign up to the shows you want for an entire series and then pay.

A simple pay as you watch type service with a standardised interface, but that would never happen.

IMO what needs to happen is that we need a service that aggerates all the content across the platfroms, sign up to the shows you want for an entire series and then pay.

A simple pay as you watch type service with a standardised interface, but that would never happen.
Something that annoys me on iTunes - you can rent Movies for 48 Hours, but cannot rent Series or Series episodes - you have to buy them.
:devil:

A tv and music bundle would be tempting, at the right price and providing there’s a bit more worth watching on it than we’ve seen so far.

Was thinking that, sometimes I can go a few weeks without using Apple Music, so a bundle sub could be good.

It's too little, too late. There's nothing that Apple is offering that tempts me in the slightest. The launch has a US focus (understandable, of course), but seems to be a lot of sanitised pap. I could be proved wrong, of course, and am happy to accept that, but I can't see me signing-up for the service if it does surface in the UK. I don't think that the execs. at Amazon and Netflix are losing any sleep over the Apple launch. Disney+, well, that's a different matter ...

Clem

Still waiting for a definitive list. Might probably defiantly or not dip in. Disney + is something I will defiantly take. Netflix already cancelled.

Edit. Defiantly? fraggin spell check. Definitely.

Still waiting for a definitive list. Might probably defiantly or not dip in. Disney + is something I will defiantly take. Netflix already cancelled.

Edit. Defiantly? fraggin spell check. Definitely.
Defiantly is good - as in standing up to the tyranny that is Netflix! (And defying all the nay-sayers that see the money creep happening with all these different services, and do not want so many subscriptions - I am one of those, by the way!) :p

No interest in Disney for me. Will be keeping Netflix and Prime, so far nothing much of interest in Apple, but will see what else else appears.

Could be more tempted by Apple if you could get a music/tv bundle for a reasonable price.

What a peculiar idea to offer the first 3 episodes of a series at once, to then subsequently only publish one further episode per week. That would be utterly infuriating.

What a peculiar idea to offer the first 3 episodes of a series at once, to then subsequently only publish one further episode per week. That would be utterly infuriating.

I’m not that sure
I suppose it’s a compromise of sorts between binge watching and weekly watching

It’s not great for those who have the time and ability to binge, but if you pace yourself and sort of watch about an episode and a half a week the your wait between episodes isn’t that bad

Nor explaining self very well I think, but I sort of get the point of it

To drag out the original content over a longer period because they haven’t got much to start with?

I’m not that sure
I suppose it’s a compromise of sorts between binge watching and weekly watching

It’s not great for those who have the time and ability to binge, but if you pace yourself and sort of watch about an episode and a half a week the your wait between episodes isn’t that bad

Nor explaining self very well I think, but I sort of get the point of it
Pace yourself at one and a half episodes per week? You sir, are a monster!:p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom