NEWS: Apple TV app comes to many Amazon Fire TV devices

Some downsides to the app on Amazon Firesticks as I understand it.
It‘s not possible to buy or rent through the app. A separate compatible device is needed for that. I expect that will get irritating very quickly.
No Dolby Vision support. HDR10 only.
No Atmos support.
No AirPlay support.

Despite all that it’s nice to have the ability to check out Apple TV+ when it arrives without needing an Apple box.

I wonder if you could rent a movie from the Apple TV app on your iPhone/iPad and then watch on your TV via the fire stick as it states movies previously bought would be stored in the library?

I wonder if you could rent a movie from the Apple TV app on your iPhone/iPad and then watch on your TV via the fire stick as it states movies previously bought would be stored in the library?
I’ve not even gone as far as signing in yet, but the fire stick splash screen implies exactly that.
4342BA30-9884-4BC5-8347-D3F00F415251.jpeg

Surely an update must be forthcoming where you can buy or rent via the app otherwise Apple could be losing out due to people’s’ laziness. Also I wonder if Airplay capability will arrive too? I think I read the tv app is coming to LG TV’s (which i have) so hopefully that’ll be announced soon too. All this makes the actual Apple TV box a little redundant?

Surely an update must be forthcoming where you can buy or rent via the app otherwise Apple could be losing out due to people’s’ laziness. Also I wonder if Airplay capability will arrive too? I think I read the tv app is coming to LG TV’s (which i have) so hopefully that’ll be announced soon too. All this makes the actual Apple TV box a little redundant?

Not likely. The same situation will play out in the same way that it does in reverse on an Apple TV. Neither party will themselves put the ability to purchase through their respective apps on each other’s devices, because the host App Store owner (i.e Amazon for the fire stick, and apple for the Apple TV) would then be in line for percentage of the revenue themselves, because they essentially count as in app purchases.

I‘d say that the price is still too high, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that the Apple TV 4K is probably the most robustly supported Tv streaming platform available in the UK Now for general usage. The Shield particularly (along with the likes of the Vero 4K) does HD audio and 3D better, but Plex playback is now extremely solid otherwise. Netflix and Amazon are obviously pretty ubiquitous on all these devices now. It has the full UK catchup services available to it, including the likes of UKTv Play. It’s also worth noting that in app voice search works across all those platforms mentioned. Now tv is rubbish for standard users, but pretty much the equivalent of the Roku version for beta users. I’ve no idea what the foot dragging is on that, because I’ve been using the beta app for must be a year or so now. Fancy game streaming, no, probably not and me neither, but SteamLink is present and correct for those interested. Those wanting music streaming available have the choice of apps from Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music or Apple Music. Add in the likes of BT sport, BT Tv/EE Tv, Curzon, Arrow Video, Disney Plus, Mubi, the forthcoming Britbox and Disney Plus services, and you’ve got a very capable platform indeed.

The Apple TV app is a watered down version of the full app it seems? Comparing the app on my iPhone and Firestick, there seems to be a lot more options and choice on the iPhone app? I did read you can buy and rent from the Firestick app so I may try a cheap rental this evening to see if it works.

With the free 7 day trial, is it possible to download all the content to avoid paying the £4.99 fee or is that foolish to think it’ll be that easy?

Just a shame (although expected) that it doesn’t have all the features. But it’s not exactly out of the way to buy or rent via my iPhone/iPad app and then watch it on the tv as it’ll appear in the library section of the fire stick Apple TV app. Just would love the airplay ability but I guess they still want people to buy the Apple TV box?

Silly question but would the app not become available on the Amazon app on my Panasonic oled or would I need a fire stick

A note of caution.
My 4K Firestick is making an absolute mess of TV+. Lots of noise and posterisation to spoil the experience due, I suspect, to it not handling the DV to HDR10 process well at all.
It may just be a problem with my Firestick of course, but at the moment I couldn’t recommend anyone buying one for TV+.
I‘ll update later when I’ve had a chance to compare it with how an Apple TV 4K performs.

Silly question but would the app not become available on the Amazon app on my Panasonic oled or would I need a fire stick
You need a Fire stick unless the Apple TV app is going to be available for your Panasonic at some point.

Last edited:
A note of caution.
My 4K Firestick is making an absolute mess of TV+. Lots of noise and posterisation to spoil the experience due, I suspect, to it not handling the DV to HDR10 process well at all.
It may just be a problem with my Firestick of course, but at the moment I couldn’t recommend anyone buying one for TV+.
I‘ll update later when I’ve had a chance to compare it with how an Apple TV 4K performs.
After comparing the two devices, the Apple TV produces a much cleaner picture. The Firestick, as I said, is prone to picture noise even though functionally it has done everything I have asked of it with no dramas.
There is no doubt in my mind that the Apple TV is the better device for TV+ and presumably iTunes content too though I haven’t tried any as yet.
If you are a typical AVF member who picks up on picture quality issues easily like me, the Firestick will annoy the heck out of you watching TV+, but it is a lot cheaper than an ATV and predictably does Prime video pretty much faultlessly with no picture quality issues
If you are like my other half who just wants a picture on the TV then a Firestick will do the job just fine.

It is nice to see it being rolled out to other devices, including the FireStick.

Initial use feedback like this does go towards demonstrating why Apple has always been hesitant making their 'stuff' available on other platforms.

The experience of this in the most full and complete setup via the Apple TV 4K in Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos really does make one sit up and go wow for a streaming service. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing.

Any ideas when it will come to third gen fire tv?

Disapointing there's no Atmos or Dolby Vision. I don't want to splash out £130+ for another streaming box.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom