NEWS: Apple replaces iTunes with new services

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +107
    2. Habanero

Habanero

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +587
      I never had a problem with iTunes.

Instead, I find the separate iOS apps problematic. The Podcast app randomly retains historical episodes that have supposedly previously been deleted. The only way do delete them seems to be manually on the iPod or iPad. The Music app defaults to showing you all your purchases from iTunes even when they are not on the device.

iTunes could also manage content from other sources eg an mp3 from Amazon. I hope this doesn’t change with the split apps.

3. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +549
      I'm divided on this. Everything was in one place so for me it was quick & easy. But iTunes could be frustrating at times (As Habanero points out above)
      But I'm no spring chicken & don't listen to music endlessly, or continually produce playlists. (I'm more a talking Book or Movie kind of person)
      Strikes me, this split is designed for a younger generation than myself ;)

4. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +167
      I was concerned that the option of outright purchase by consumers of individual music tracks was going to be abandoned by Apple. This commentary is the only I have read (of several) that even addresses this so I’m now optimistically hoping this is not the case.

5. Cartman4x

Cartman4x

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      So what happens to all the tracks that you have uploaded from cd? Will you still be able to continue to do this or is it a case of solely purchasing albums from apple store or paying a monthly subscription fee to stream music from now on?

6. Studentcomputerscouk

Studentcomputerscouk
      Novice Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      This was always going to happen!

When they introduced Apple Music, they was always going to remove iTunes. Whilst it is unfortunate if you had old music stored, they are just trying to modernise technology

7. Silver Arrow

Silver Arrow

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      I'm not sure I understand what is about to happen.
      I currently play music via I tunes and like the way albums are displayed, cover art and track listing. I tend not to create playlists, but do so only to transfer music to I phone and I pad.
      I also have Fidelia to play 24 bit music, but whilst I like the sound, the interface is not as user friendly, cover art is not displayed and all albums are just listed as an integrated track listing (unless someone knows better as I am a novice user).
      I buy music from many sources not just Apple store, have 1000's of CD's and ripped to computer.
      Will I still be able to play in the same manner as I do now or will I have to pay Apple to allow me to play music I have already bought?
      If the above charges are to be levied, can anyone recommend an alternate platform to play music on that has a user friendly interface to use on Apple computers?
      Cheers

Andy

8. mightymax76

mightymax76

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30

According to the snippet below, you should still be able to access you’re ripped media.

Apple Music already has 50 million subscribers but, according to some sources, the iTunes Music Store will remain open for those who still like to buy and own their musical 1s and 0s separately and the Cupertino based tech firm has calmedfears about existing music libraries, stating that users will still have access to them regardless of whether the music was purchased digitally or ripped from a CD.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    9. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +480
      hmmm so the itunes app will disappear from new versions of OSX? or current versions too.... all a bit vague at the mo or maybe i'm confuddled :confused::p

for me itunes has always been a media player for my own mp3s first and foremost. i do subscribe to podcasts though and sync them to my old ipod from itunes. hopefully i can still get podcasts without subscribing to something.
      if i need to get a different mp3 player i'm sure there are others out there for the MAC

10. mightymax76

mightymax76

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30
      I think Apple will need to be very mindful, if they’re going to start charging for podcasts. I can see them back peddling on that, very quickly (if they charged). I subscribe to Apple Music, for its convenience being out and about. But if really like the album, I always buy the physical format to support the artist. The more I think about, more I understand the split. But they really need to get the balance right, otherwise they’ll be switching people off.

11. dr_jon

dr_jon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      I want iTunes on Windows so I can:
      (1) Keep a local backup of the phone, so if it dies or gets nicked I can zap it back onto a new one. I don't want this in the Cloud as I might be off somewhere with crap Internet bandwidth, plus it might get hacked and there's a (hopefully very slim) change it might disappear.
      (2) Sync with Outlook (although alas not with Notes as of some time back, which has been ultra annoying).
      (3) Move significant amounts (and lots of items) of data into Apps all in one go.
      Losing those would perhaps be a show-stopped for me.

12. tune

tune
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

I totally agree on the above. Hope 'itune' can improve on the compatibility with Outlook and Windows. It still sync the bookmarks from Internet explorer but not edge nor Chrome.