NEWS: Apple Music subscribers get lossless tier and spatial audio from June

… But wouldn’t it automatically remember those settings anyway? I’m pretty sure if I have my Apple TV set to audyssey Reference. And then switched to my PS4 it would go to audyssey flat. As it remembers how each source was set.

I was hoping / wondering if quick selects could be set for ONE particular source. So if my Apple TV is currently set to reference while I’m watching a movie, but mayb I’d want to change it to FLAT to listen to Apple Music, I could just tap a quick select button rather than going into audyssey settings and changing it manually.
I have quick select 1 set to Apple TV with speaker preset 1 audyssey reference set.
If I click on 4. Turns mode to stereo and speaker preset 2 with flat selected.

Hello. I have an older non-atmos receiver. Will atmos tracks play in vanilla 5.1?
My receiver does Atmos, but I have no Atmos speakers connected, and its still playing the atmos tracks etc in 5.1.

Still sounds pretty good. I'm working on SWMBO to get some holes cut in the ceiling to add atmos speakers.....

My receiver does Atmos, but I have no Atmos speakers connected, and its still playing the atmos tracks etc in 5.1.

Still sounds pretty good. I'm working on SWMBO to get some holes cut in the ceiling to add atmos speakers.....
She good with a saw?

I use the Korg player on my iPod ... is fine with ALAC and FLAC
I don’t see this listed in the app store.
Software is called iAudiogate ... by Korg

As a long time subscriber of only iTunes Match (10 yrs), I wonder if Apple will finally have me hooked on Apple Music. I plan to try it out today. I think I have an email invitation for a 2 month free Apple Music trial which is 4-8 weeks old , I hope it’s still valid as I have help out using it until the upgraded service was available.

I have ATV 4K (the first gen) and an Onkyo TX-NR646 that supports Dolby Atmos.

The Onkyo amp supports “high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 32bit/384kHz resolution it says on the box)” - so I hope this avails Apple Music hi-res audio for me.

Last edited:
As a long time subscriber of only iTunes Match (10 yrs), I wonder if Apple will finally have me hooked on Apple Music. I plan to try it out today. I think I have an email invitation for a 2 month free Apple Music trial which is 4-8 weeks old , I hope it’s still valid as I have help out using it until the upgraded service was available.

I have ATV 4K (the first gen) and an Onkyo TX-NR646 that supports Dolby Atmos.

The Onkyo amp supports “high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)” - so I hope this avails Apple Music hi-res audio for me.
It will give you Lossless but not full Hi Res. The apple Tv is limited to outputting 24 bit 48khz. Having said that the majority of lossless content is below that resolution anyway. You will also have access to the relatively limited Atmos content as well

Ok thanks. Is the same also the case for the new ATV 4K , ie. that it doesn’t support hi-res audio output ?

I took up the free AM trial.

I have a 1st gen Retina display iPad mini with a 2.5mm headphone socket. I should probably use something better than the 2.5mm jack Apple ear pods though, only other wired headphones - I have are a pair of Sennheiser HD205 which sound ok for a budget headphone, will have to try it out with these.

EDIT- unfortunately, my iPad mini doesn’t support beyond iOS 12.5.4 . Although it plays Apple Music , I’m not sure if it supports Lossless or Spatial audio.

EDIT #2- worth noting this, luckily I already have a lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter, though the quality of the in-built DAC is likely to be modest at best.

“Can I listen to lossless audio using Apple’s Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter?
Yes. The Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter is designed to transmit audio from the iPhone’s Lightning connector. It contains a digital-to-analogue converter that supports up to 24-bit/48 kHz lossless audio”

Last edited:
If the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter contains a digital-to-analogue converter that supports up to 24-bit/48 kHz lossless audio, then so probably do the lightning EarPods.

I am trying out a pair of lightning EarPods i had lying around, comparing AAC version of tracks vs the Apple Music lossless. I think even using the humble lightning EarPods , there is a indiscernible difference.

I have to say it’s brought the wired Ear pods back from the dead for me and might be my go to earphones for enjoying quality music given the convenience of their size , I only wish they had a case that wound up the wires in a more user friendly way so I don’t I will be passing over my Air pods.

Would be sweet if these lightning ear pods were refreshed with a DAC that supports HiRes up to 24bit /192 kHz . But I doubt that will happen somehow.

I'll give this a trial when it eventually comes to the android app. Currently trialing Amazon and can get 24/96 with the supplied wired AKG in ear headphones and my S20. Also have a IFI HIP DAC with Philips Fidelio X3 to try it with for 24/192

My grandson asked me if Apple Hi Res and Atmos music would play on his Amazon Echo Studio speaker, I didn’t know. Does anyone out there know as I’ve googled for an answer and still not found anything.

Is it correct that Atmos tracks in Apple Music are lossy (i.e. AAC 256 bitrate) and not full lossless?
Obviously the same tracks are lossless if Atmos is switched off in the settings.
Would seem strange if true?
I am sure I read this somewhere but cannot find the source now!

Is it correct that Atmos tracks in Apple Music are lossy (i.e. AAC 256 bitrate) and not full lossless?
Obviously the same tracks are lossless if Atmos is switched off in the settings.
Would seem strange if true?
I am sure I read this somewhere but cannot find the source now!
It is Lossy but I believe that it is in the Dolby Digital Plus container so the bitrates are larger than AAC. According to Dolby these are between 384 and 768

Lossless on Apple music sounds better than tidal at £10/month.

Non lossless on Apple music sounds worse than tidal at £10/month.

2-3 months free, apple looks good so far :)

Looks like it's arrived for Android at last.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210722-112719_Apple Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-112719_Apple Music.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210722-112653_Apple Music.jpg
    Screenshot_20210722-112653_Apple Music.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 72
Is that in the UK, not seen an update yet for mine.

Mine has updated as well now. Just in time for a long drive home. I did a couple of back to back comparisons with Spotify and think I prefer Apple's sound quality.

Hi all, what do I need to do get Apple music in Dolby Atmos , My phone is android ,do I need to subscribe to Apple music ,will any earphones work?

Hi all, what do I need to do get Apple music in Dolby Atmos , My phone is android ,do I need to subscribe to Apple music ,will any earphones work?
No, you need the top end apple headphones, or a Apple TV box and an Atmos soundbar.

Getting CD quality to your Denon will work over Airplay 2 - I’m listening to Qobuz / Roon that way at the moment. It’s another story for HiRes In to a Denon. You can use HEOS for Tidal CD quality and Spotify Connect and Amazon but not beyond CD quality and even that might be an issue with Spotify & Amazon.
Unfortunately it looks like streaming Apple lossless quality via Airplay (1 or 2) isn't possible, unless it's an ALAC rip from your library. I was going to jump on the AM train but after finding out about this I won't (yet).

“You can use HEOS for Tidal CD quality and Spotify Connect and Amazon but not beyond CD quality”

D971F40B-7F7B-41F0-82F4-95697B44420E.jpeg

Using HEOS on my phone to play this on my Denon. Looks (and sounds) higher than CD quality to me..

Using HEOS on my phone to play this on my Denon. Looks (and sounds) higher than CD quality to me..

HEOS works yes, but was just saying that unfortunately you can't stream AM lossless via Airplay even though Airplay is rated for 16/44.1, which sucks :/

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom