NEWS: Apple Music subscribers get lossless tier and spatial audio from June

I’m really impressed. Set up a quick select with a different audyssey setting (flat over reference) for stereo for vinyl. It lets me use sub woofers too rather then pure direct.

Anyway playing one of their playlists it does change the Denon to play Atmos when it’s an Atmos song.. then goes back to stereo for lossless. So no changing music modes. 🥳

Sorry still new to this set up… and really impressed! Was great timing with this upgrade in Apple Music.

Some of the songs sound really amazing, jazz especially and London grammar in lossless is superb compared to the precious format.

The Apple TV is definitely even more worth it now.

I still love my vinyl but options are good. Lol
But next year definitely new front speakers and amp. Too many years with a Bose.. now this is music (and films lol).

Last edited:
What sort of DAC do I need to get 192khz and is it worth the effort? Bit disappointed that my A4K and Denon x3600h can't do it.
As far as I know, you can't. The apple TV for lossless music is limited to 24 bit 48khz. You would need to use a Mac or iphone with an external DAC to get 192 khz. Having said that I personally think that Atmos music offers a more noticable difference than whether you have 48k or 192

now we have to hope that Apple will release its Apple Music API to HEOS in order to play Hi res 24/192 files for amplifiers with built-in heos.

9B5335DD-8697-4AD2-A652-BC5120C22DBE.jpeg
This is the highest I get while using the Apple lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter into Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT headphones.
Thought I would only get 48KHz

How do I check on my ATV4K the quality of the song currently playing?

How do I check on my ATV4K the quality of the song currently playing?

I don't think you can unfortunately its one thing that would be really useful to see

You can, it’s on the lower right hand corner when playing a song.
It says lossless you have to click on it.
I could post an image of it later tonight

You can, it’s on the lower right hand corner when playing a song.
It says lossless you have to click on it.
I could post an image of it later tonight
Ah yeah found it, after clicking on a track to play if you press the back key on the remote, it appears on the right side of the screen.

I didn't notice that as i usually just select a track and it goes to the lyric screen etc.

Ah yeah found it, after clicking on a track to play if you press the back key on the remote, it appears on the right side of the screen.

I didn't notice that as i usually just select a track and it goes to the lyric screen etc.
Could you add a photo? I can’t seem to see this option on mine

Attachments

• A2374CEF-6277-475F-BE4D-5C9C7EC9FBD9.jpeg
    A2374CEF-6277-475F-BE4D-5C9C7EC9FBD9.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 4426C1EC-C28B-4B8F-8CA7-5BFB0D23A897.jpeg
    4426C1EC-C28B-4B8F-8CA7-5BFB0D23A897.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 147
36F7B3F0-1464-4C64-B247-4BD2FE91B10F.jpeg
Went to the same album (not my cup of tea, but thats not the point lol) no lossless display on the bottom right.
If I play an Apple spatial audio playlist, I do get Dolby Atmos in the bottom right. But I can’t click on it or anything.

View attachment 1525934Went to the same album (not my cup of tea, but thats not the point lol) no lossless display on the bottom right.
If I play an Apple spatial audio playlist, I do get Dolby Atmos in the bottom right. But I can’t click on it or anything.
Haha

ahh, could you go to settings, apps, music then ensure audio quality is set to lossless

Haha

ahh, could you go to settings, apps, music then ensure audio quality is set to lossless
Superb. Thanks. I was looking for those music settings but couldn’t see them, hidden within the apps section!

I can indeed now see 24bit 48khz ALAC. It doesn’t let you click on the Dolby Atmos though, I guess I am to assume it is the same quality.. it would be nice if I could click that to confirm though.

How does one get high res through their AV receiver…Do I need a DAC connected between the ATV4K box and said receiver ?
Do DACs have HDMIs?
I’m talking 24/96 or even better 24/196

I think Apple could do with sharing a lot more info around the lossless and Atmos music than they have so far.

If we have any experts in here, I have some Qs.

1. In car: Car brand is BMW, 2 options, BMWs own software using Bluetooth to connect to Apple Music on iPhone, or apple car play via the car’s built in WiFi. Do either offer the lossless option?

2. If a 4K Apple TV is connected to an AV receiver, (Sony Str DN1080) does the receiver have the required DAC to use the high res lossless on offer?

3. Sonos systems: Does the Apple Music used via Sonos systems carry the lossless over, or would Airplay need to be used (for Sonos speakers that have Airplay)

4. Have they put any FULL albums in Dolby Atmos or only selected songs? Pretty sure when I tried the REM and Bob Marley ones it was only certain songs?

5. Is there a published list of everything that is available with an Atmos mix?

As an aside, I’d have thought artists such as the Beatles and Rolling Stones would have been wanting their own people doing the remastering work required, although I don’t know that much about the process involved.

Of all the Stones albums, who decided Goats Head Soup was the one to start with???

4. I too was frustrated when I listened to a great sounding Atmos single, only to visit the album and discover the rest of the tracks were only in stereo. Bummer.
There are some complete Atmos albums though, such as the The Beatles Abbey Road & Linkin Park Hybrid Theory.
Hopefully we get more complete albums in Atmos. Tbh I’d love Spotify to hurry up and have lossless. I haven’t used it in a few years, I’ve been on Amazon music and Deezer, and now Apple music. But Im sure I can remember Spotify would never recommend me as much Guff that Apple does. Im not interested in Justin fkn beiber or cardi B.

I use the Korg player on my iPod ... is fine with ALAC and FLAC
I don’t see this listed in the app store.

Hello. I have an older non-atmos receiver. Will atmos tracks play in vanilla 5.1?

Interesting listening to these guys discussing Apple Music lossless and Hi Res.

Set up a quick select with a different audyssey setting (flat over reference) for stereo for vinyl.
Aha, is the quick select using the numbered Buttons at the bottom of the remote? I usually find myself going to audyssey and changing those settings, I guess I need to set them to those quick select buttons!

Aha, is the quick select using the numbered Buttons at the bottom of the remote? I usually find myself going to audyssey and changing those settings, I guess I need to set them to those quick select buttons!
Yeap. Just playing to see what I set on each one. So far
Apple TV surround
Switch 5.1
PS 5 DTS
HIFI with flat for either Apple Music, vinyl or cd.

I wish there was 2 more 😂. Would make life easier.

Anyone with the Sonos app? Is there a way to find out what audio it’s playing via airplay?

Yeap. Just playing to see what I set on each one. So far
Apple TV surround
Switch 5.1
PS 5 DTS
HIFI with flat for either Apple Music, vinyl or cd.

I wish there was 2 more 😂. Would make life easier.
… But wouldn’t it automatically remember those settings anyway? I’m pretty sure if I have my Apple TV set to audyssey Reference. And then switched to my PS4 it would go to audyssey flat. As it remembers how each source was set.

I was hoping / wondering if quick selects could be set for ONE particular source. So if my Apple TV is currently set to reference while I’m watching a movie, but mayb I’d want to change it to FLAT to listen to Apple Music, I could just tap a quick select button rather than going into audyssey settings and changing it manually.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom