NEWS: Apple Music subscribers get lossless tier and spatial audio from June

But will I finally be able to upload and play FLAC files on my iPhone?
Waited years for this...

But will I finally be able to upload and play FLAC files on my iPhone?
Waited years for this...
Not natively, but there are music players that play FLAC and Hi-Res.

This does make things more interesting, but unless and until Apple Music starts getting supported by many more non-Apple devices, in the same way that Spotify, and, to a lesser extent, Qobuz and Tidal have, it's not a game changer for me. Now, if, in a dream scenario, this were to end up supported by Roon, then they'd have my attention, but I don't believe for one second that that's going to happen.

If Apple Music (streaming via Airplay 2) supports streaming lossless for existing hardware that has Airplay 2 support built in (e.g. Arcam, Lyngdorf, Denon to name a few brands that have Airplay), it will likely be a game changer as a lot of hardware already has Airplay and more recently, Airplay 2 support out the box.

1621268873758.png

This does make things more interesting, but unless and until Apple Music starts getting supported by many more non-Apple devices, in the same way that Spotify, and, to a lesser extent, Qobuz and Tidal have, it's not a game changer for me. Now, if, in a dream scenario, this were to end up supported by Roon, then they'd have my attention, but I don't believe for one second that that's going to happen.
Yeah, no. Not going to happen at least not thro AirPlay so it’s kind of a two way street as far support goes.

Having rejoined the iPhone gang recently I need to try the shuffle feature on their music player. Spotify's shuffle system is truly the worst I have ever experienced. Within 5 tracks it can repeat a song. I have a playlist of 220 songs from Shazam grabs and I only get hear the same…..50? I can only skip so much till my commute is over.
That alone could get me to switch, so a free lossless upgrade has me very interested.

Excellent news. You can’t get the highest quality through HEOS on my denon amp with Tidal and Deezer, I was just about to move onto Amazon music, as I believe high quality does work with HEOS.
But now I’ll just get an Apple Music subscription for a decent price, and play it from my AT4K. Hi-Res 24 bit / 192 kHz,

If only my Lindemann Limetree Network could read my Apple Music library I’d cancel my Qobuz Hi Res subscription. The Limetree DAC is exceptional.

However, I could now use my ATV4K connection to my Denon X2300 so happy days.

As others here have said unfortunately I can’t see Apple playing ball with the likes of the mconnect app etc.

:rotfl: I actually think I remember this news now!

Could there be a new Apple Media Centre on the horizon? TV, HiRes music with and output to a DAC, games and maybe News. Low electrical noise, fan less and run from your IPad or iPhone?

I was about to pull the trigger on Qobuz & Roon - the RPi is in the post and I have the new DAC here already. I may use R & Q for the next year and get Spotify Connect when this all settles down. Apple‘s habit of built in obsolescence winds me up.

Am I right in saying there is no iOS app that will allow me to stream my Apple Music tracks to my Limetree Network streamer?

So with the apple tv (4K) connected to an AV (Denon 3700) will it be 24 bit /48 kHz or would that support Hi-Res 24 bit / 192 kHz?
The Atmos music is definitely a huge win, but interested in the other music too :)

So with the apple tv (4K) connected to an AV (Denon 3700) will it be 24 bit /48 kHz or would that support Hi-Res 24 bit / 192 kHz?
The Atmos music is definitely a huge win, but interested in the other music too :)

Apple TV would work via HDMI / optical and likely tops out at 24 bit / 48khz I believe having checked (not sure if that's a hardware or software limitation though) - if software, it could change perhaps?

The Denon 3700 likely supports Airplay 2 (link here), so in answer to the second question : the Denon potentially supports lossless already via Airplay 2. Will be interesting to see what might be planned for Airplay 2 next month at WWDC. It does seem at least logical that Apple could be working on adding support for higher bit rates (so long as the hardware is compatible / has the right DAC potentially)?

To help answer bluetooth limitations for anyone that is interested:

Apple TV would work via HDMI / optical and likely tops out at 24 bit / 48khz I believe having checked (not sure if that's a hardware or software limitation though) - if software, it could change perhaps?

The Denon 3700 likely supports Airplay 2 (link here), so in answer to the second question : the Denon potentially supports lossless already via Airplay 2. Will be interesting to see what might be planned for Airplay 2 next month at WWDC. It does seem at least logical that Apple could be working on adding support for higher bit rates (so long as the hardware is compatible / has the right DAC potentially)?

To help answer bluetooth limitations for anyone that is interested:
Well 48khz is better than what we get now from Apple Music so I am very happy :)

Feels like there is a lot of guess work happening right now regarding what will and won't be supported.

From what I've understood anything that connects with bluetooth (e.g. AirPods) won't support it
Apple TV --> Receiver should support it
Airplay 2 devices - I can't figure that out. Think we need to wait to June until people get their hands on them and test

If I can get lossless music with an Apple TV 4K box using Apple Music app to my Arcam receiver then that’s a game changer for me...even better if I could stream it from my phone to ATV4K to my receiver.

Feels like there is a lot of guess work happening right now regarding what will and won't be supported.

From what I've understood anything that connects with bluetooth (e.g. AirPods) won't support it
Apple TV --> Receiver should support it
Airplay 2 devices - I can't figure that out. Think we need to wait to June until people get their hands on them and test
Depends what you mean by ‘it’, the following article gives details of what is and isn’t supported:

Dolby Atmos support:

All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos music tracks using any headphones. When you listen with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos music plays back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, go to Settings > Music > Audio and set Dolby Atmos to Always On. You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, or HomePod, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.

lossless - per Apple:

‘You can listen to lossless audio using the latest Apple Music app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV.
Turn on lossless audio in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. You can choose between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless for cellular or Wi-Fi connections.

Hi-Res per Apple :

Note that Hi-Res Lossless requires external equipment such as a USB digital to analog converter.

Depends what you mean by ‘it’, the following article gives details of what is and isn’t supported:

Dolby Atmos support:

All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos music tracks using any headphones. When you listen with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos music plays back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, go to Settings > Music > Audio and set Dolby Atmos to Always On. You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, or HomePod, or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.

lossless - per Apple:

‘You can listen to lossless audio using the latest Apple Music app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV.
Turn on lossless audio in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. You can choose between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless for cellular or Wi-Fi connections.

Hi-Res per Apple :

Note that Hi-Res Lossless requires external equipment such as a USB digital to analog converter.

I don't think that article clears anything up, leaves exactly the same questions.

An example - will lossless audio work over Airplay streaming? It's not clear either way whether that will work from the info Apple has published

I like the idea of playing Lossless from my ATV to my Denon 4500 but the ATV turns off if I turn my TV off :thumbsdow

Getting CD quality to your Denon will work over Airplay 2 - I’m listening to Qobuz / Roon that way at the moment. It’s another story for HiRes In to a Denon. You can use HEOS for Tidal CD quality and Spotify Connect and Amazon but not beyond CD quality and even that might be an issue with Spotify & Amazon.

There may be work arounds such as mconnect and Bubbleupnp might work, depending on what Apple allows. Ideally they will come up with Airplay 3 but not sure if the Denon‘s could be upgraded to match Or if that would be included in the next generation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom