NEWS: Apple launches new M1 powered iMac for 2021

Colourful iPhones - well each to their own. But an iMac in some of those colours would be....eyewatering (Along with the price, of course)

Colours shmolours for me...I need a new iMac but don’t want to drop from 27 to 24 so will need to hang in there...

Colours shmolours for me...I need a new iMac but don’t want to drop from 27 to 24 so will need to hang in there...
I'm with you, but then I looked at prices for the 27" iMacs with the storage I need, and.... Ouch!

I have a 2013 27" plus a Cinema Display 27", & had the Fusion Drive replaced with a 2TB Samsung Evo a couple of years ago. Looks like I will be driving this till it drops!

Coloured iMacs ? :facepalm:
And no new 27” model, not even in the pro line? Looks like I will be holding on to my black 27” iMac Pro for quite some time yet...
But again Coloured iMacs, (and I know you can still get it in silver) next they will go all the way back and make them in plastic pre 1990...

I love Apple it’s all I have been using for the last two decades but they need Jony Ive back ASAP...

Last edited:
Why the hate? You don't have to get one in a bright colour. You don't have to get one at all.

I'm digging them TBH, particularly the blue one. I'd be all over a replacement for my MBP in that colour... but I would assume "Pro" is always going to mean silver/grey only.

Not that I have any use for an iMac, probably a little extravagant for an 8yo's homework machine, which is all I could think of for it.

Coloured iMacs ? :facepalm:
And no new 27” model, not even in the pro line? Looks like I will be holding on to my black 27” iMac Pro for quite some time yet...
But again Coloured iMacs, (and I know you can still get it in silver) next they will go all the way back and make them in plastic pre 1990...

I love Apple it’s all I have been using for the last two decades but they need Jony Ive back ASAP...
Let's not forget the iMac started life as brightly coloured plastic, in 1998. And they stayed plastic until the 2007 revision.

And while some of Sir Jony's work was groundbreaking, there were a few less-fondly remembered things to come from Apple during his time – the hockey-puck mouse and G4 cube issues are the two most-commonly referenced ones.

If you've got an iMac Pro, you're not the in target market for the new M1 iMac, which is firmly aimed at consumers, not professionals or even 'prosumers'. I suspect a 27in model will follow, and suspect it will be in black, at least as an option. I just hope it doesn't have the white bezels.

That might look like a defence but I don't like the look of them at all. I understand why the 'chin' has to remain but I'm amazed they didn't give it even a vague aesthetic purpose by putting the Apple logo on there. As someone who already has a Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse (both first gen, both working fine), I'll get more bang for less buck by going for an M1 Mac mini and monitor when the time comes to replace my workhorse 2012 mini.

Let's not forget the iMac started life as brightly coloured plastic, in 1998. And they stayed plastic until the 2007 revision.

And while some of Sir Jony's work was groundbreaking, there were a few less-fondly remembered things to come from Apple during his time – the hockey-puck mouse and G4 cube issues are the two most-commonly referenced ones.

If you've got an iMac Pro, you're not the in target market for the new M1 iMac, which is firmly aimed at consumers, not professionals or even 'prosumers'. I suspect a 27in model will follow, and suspect it will be in black, at least as an option. I just hope it doesn't have the white bezels.

That might look like a defence but I don't like the look of them at all. I understand why the 'chin' has to remain but I'm amazed they didn't give it even a vague aesthetic purpose by putting the Apple logo on there. As someone who already has a Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse (both first gen, both working fine), I'll get more bang for less buck by going for an M1 Mac mini and monitor when the time comes to replace my workhorse 2012 mini.
On yes I agree completely.
Was never a fan of them then or in this new reincarnation now.

I remember my 2006 17” white plastic iMac well... Felt like it came from an episode of Space 1999... But always loved the apple ecosystem and for my line of work (music composition/production) I couldn’t go anywhere else for my workstation needs. My iMac Pro’s are specifically used for work only so I was looking for a new iMac 27” for basic needs like email, internet, and also for the good lady wife to use. As our current iMac is a late 2014/ specced up 27” and although it still works perfectly well the screen is starting to show some signs of its age...
Maybe a 27” will be announced later as I don’t want to drop in screen size to a 24” and just need to steer the good lady wife away from the coloured M1‘s and get her a new iPad Pro 12” instead :laugh::censored::D

Size matter‘s no matter what they tell you....😉🤣

This looks like we are back in the 80’s with a 2021upgrade..It’s a cycle I suppose :censored:

1BF9F6C2-AF4E-4B89-A760-E3B9544AF6D8.jpeg

Last edited:
The imac in the past has looked sleek and luxurious, Like a Rolls Royce. It now looks more like a Toy Car. I find it extremely disappointing that the New ipad Pro has a better screen! If I am to purchase an imac, I want it to be the best Apple can provide. I suppose they will update this at a later date with an "imac pro".

I do miss the Logo on the front of the unit. Also not keen on the white bezzle, black or matching color would have been better.

Apple are so keen on wanting everything so thin, why not make the unit slightly thicker to hold more variety of ports? Its so thin the headphone jack has to be on the side! its too long if it was to go in the back lol. Am i really stuck in the past if I just want a damn regular USB port?

I am still on my imac from 2011. I will not be upgrading just yet. I guess the typical response from Apple fans will be "stay in the past then, you old fart".

I am still on my imac from 2011. I will not be upgrading just yet. I guess the typical response from Apple fans will be "stay in the past then, you old fart".
Lol! I feel the same. I love my 2013 iMac with the matching Cinema display, with a HiRise unit so the 2nd display is exactly the same height as the iMac's. Plus I have the 2nd display hooked up via a Kanex switcher so my gaming PC can use that display as well. They are getting tired, but this setup fits me so well it will break my heart when I have to change!

I particularly like the blue and yellow ones. If the metal was more colourful like the back n sides I’d like the orange best.

I am still thumb twiddling and cogitating about them though - well waiting for one high spec enough to buy.

I do think they are good value though... for example, take the Mac Mini at £699, add gigabit ethernet, up the ram to 16gb and storage to 1tb, that makes £1400. Add a keyboard and mouse that makes £1630 - I am assuming a touchID keyboard will cost £150. A new M1 iMac with 16gb ram and 1tb storage will be £2049 (£1649 + £200 + £200).

So the integrated retina display with speakers and webcam costs approx £420 which I think is great.

I’ve been looking at monitors in case I got a Mini but can’t find something I would be happy with coming from an iMac Retina display (I have thunderbolt display as external and can easily and often see the difference between the two) - I too use 12 south hi-rise to make them the same height.

I don’t think I can cope with a smaller 23.5” display though, and it only supports 1 external monitor. I would have been tempted to go for it if I could have two external monitors (e.g. thunderbolt displays) one either side. But I should wait for the more powerful chip really so Apple probably saved me from myself.

The other thing is, these look so thin that I can see people getting the Vesa mount versions and hanging them on the wall like the Samsung frame TVs.

There is talk that there will be a May event before WWDC too...

I'm a big Apple fan but all I see is Barbie iMac. The back look great as for the front, Hideous!!!! :eek:
I hope the iMac pro will look more grown-up :)

Is there blinged-up iMac? Shiny, sparkly gold-crusted version? I'll start buying lotto tickets from now on...

I have to say, the more I see this, the more I like it. OK, so the screen isn't as big as I'd like, but all reviews so far have said its a brilliant panel with a resolution which works well in terms of space. Also, this gives you a 4.5K screen running at a native resolution with no need to faff around with scaled modes.

Webcam looks good - decent built-in mic and speakers for conference calls.

All the M1s are more than fast enough unless your workflow needs 32GB RAM and really good multicore performance etc.

For a general purpose machine, I'm really tempted. Especially as at my main desk just now I have an M1 Air connected to an LG screen via a Caldigit dock with a webcam perched on top of the monitor.

I'm a big Apple fan but all I see is Barbie iMac. The back look great as for the front, Hideous!!!! :eek:
I hope the iMac pro will look more grown-up :)
Just get the silver one (as I did)... apart from the missing logo on the 'chin' it's completely inoffensive and iMac-like.

Your ok with the lack of ports? No USB-A?
Not a problem for me. I only had two USB-A devices that I wanted to connect:
  • External Hard Drive which came with a USB Micro-B to USB-A cable. I bought a USB Micro-B to USB-C cable for £7 from Amazon... problem solved.
  • Microphone which came with a Micro-USB to USB-A cable. I found the iMac's internal microphones work really well for Skype calls, etc. so didn't even bother getting a new cable for my microphone (I'm using it on a work PC instead).
A built-in SD card reader would have been nice to have in the new iMac, but I can plug my camera into a USB-C port to transfer photos (or use my external card reader).

Last edited:
My 2011 iMac has 4 USB-A ports, an SD slot, Ethernet port, heck even a CD drive. If I wanted to upgrade to a new imac, it sucks I’ll be getting less. 2 usb-c ports or something like that. Urgh. Frustrates me that Apple has become like this. I really don’t feel it’s fair we have to buy all these adapters and dongles. Just make the damn iMac a few CM thicker and put these ports in! But that’s Apple, take things away and still charge the same. I’m still not quite over the fact they removed the headphone Jack from the iPhone. I’m sure people will just tell me to get over it. But there must be other people out there that are just as disgruntled at Lack of ports on Apple products as I am? I just refuse to join the dongle brigade 😂
6AB6E25B-DFDF-4202-A9B2-7CE43511C8D0.png

My 2011 iMac has 4 USB-A ports, an SD slot, Ethernet port, heck even a CD drive. If I wanted to upgrade to a new imac, it sucks I’ll be getting less. 2 usb-c ports or something like that. Urgh. Frustrates me that Apple has become like this. I really don’t feel it’s fair we have to buy all these adapters and dongles. Just make the damn iMac a few CM thicker and put these ports in! But that’s Apple, take things away and still charge the same. I’m still not quite over the fact they removed the headphone Jack from the iPhone. I’m sure people will just tell me to get over it. But there must be other people out there that are just as disgruntled at Lack of ports on Apple products as I am? I just refuse to join the dongle brigade 😂
"Dongle brigade"? I just told you all I needed was a USB-C cable to replace an old USB-A one.

And why talk about the entry-level machine if you're worried about ports? The mid-range M1 iMac has 4 USB-C ports (two with Thunderbolt 3 support) and an Ethernet (plus an extra GPU core and the Touch ID keyboard). As I said, a built-in SD card reader would have been nice, but USB-C has been in Apple products for more than 6 years now and CD/DVD drives in computers went out with the Ark.

So, yes, get over it!! :laugh:

Last edited:
"Dongle brigade"? I just told you all I needed was a USB-C cable to replace an old USB-A one”

Oh dear. Please don’t take offence. I was not claiming YOU were in the dongle brigade lol. I was just stating I want no part in it. Chill.
Christ alive. All I did was express my view, and you replied as though I was attacking you 😮

Oh dear. Please don’t take offence. I was not claiming YOU were in the dongle brigade lol. I was just stating I want no part in it. Chill.
None was taken, but I was baffled by your reply.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom