NEWS: Apple introduces new Apple TV 4K with High Frame Rate HDR support

Why can't I hope for uncompressed atmos on films rented from itunes?

Sorry, nothing would please me more, just wasn't my point. I certainly hope that happens

I’ve literally never used the supplied remote on the current model. It’s still in the box I think.

As soon as I connected it, the HDMI-CEC just instantly made my LG TV remote the controller for the ATV.

I always see so many people complaining about the supplies remote though - what am I missing, why don’t users use CEC in the same way I’m having such joy with?

I haven’t read anywhere yet whether or not the new remote has a find me function with some kind of buzzer.

I’m guessing not as I expect they’d have said or they’ll want you to buy an airtag and stick it to it!

Would be interested in the same. Some passthrough option like the Shield has would be great.

Is there a better alternative to Shield / Plex and if so what is that people are using?

Hi @CarMad . Sorry for the newbie question but what does atmos passthrough mean? I was after a device that offers atmos through the apps (i.e. Disney+, Netflix, Amazon etc.). Is this something different from "atmos passthrough" which has been mentioned a few times? Thanks a lot.

More importantly when are apple upping the bitrate of iTunes back to pre COVID levels?

The key question for me is whether or not it will allow Plex to process Atmos from TrueHD files? If it does that then I can get rid of my Nvidia Shield Pro, which is the only reason I have one
Alas, that would be a No.

Why can't I hope for uncompressed atmos on films rented from itunes?

Highly unlikely. If eARC becomes a norm few years down the line, we might see audio bit rates bumped up a little bit (1-2 Mbps) as opposed to current 768 Kbps for Atmos. This is down to content providers and streamers. With audio, numbers only matter to an extent as it soon enters diminishing returns territory,

More importantly when are apple upping the bitrate of iTunes back to pre COVID levels?

Bit rates of contents on iTunes (movies) have stayed the same besides throttling during the early stages of Covid.

I am capturing it quite religiously here lol.

double post.

Hi @CarMad . Sorry for the newbie question but what does atmos passthrough mean? I was after a device that offers atmos through the apps (i.e. Disney+, Netflix, Amazon etc.). Is this something different from "atmos passthrough" which has been mentioned a few times? Thanks a lot.
I didn't say Atmos passthrough just passthrough of the sound.

In the Nvidia Sheild using something like Plex it passes through the raw audio to the receiver for it to process. It doesn't try unless you ask it to to change it to something else it leaves it and moves it on to a device that can process it correctly. So DTS Master HD, ATMOS, DTS X etc. all get passed on and appear correctly on the Receiver as to what its encoded effectively.

Everyone hopes that the Apple TV would do the same at some point unfortunately Apple and its you do it our way or the highway approach hasn't offered that yet and probably never will which is a shame for those apps that could really take advantage of it and also take the good picture.

I didn't say Atmos passthrough just passthrough of the sound.

In the Nvidia Sheild using something like Plex it passes through the raw audio to the receiver for it to process. It doesn't try unless you ask it to to change it to something else it leaves it and moves it on to a device that can process it correctly. So DTS Master HD, ATMOS, DTS X etc. all get passed on and appear correctly on the Receiver as to what its encoded effectively.

Everyone hopes that the Apple TV would do the same at some point unfortunately Apple and its you do it our way or the highway approach hasn't offered that yet and probably never will which is a shame for those apps that could really take advantage of it and also take the good picture.

That's great thanks for explaining; I think I understand the definition of audio passthrough (apologies for the incorrect term in my query), which largely relates to external sources like a Plex Media Server. And where Atmos is supported using selected apps, my understanding is that you're relying on the bitrates offered by those apps. It's beginning to make sense now; thanks once again.

Went from a media pc to a ATV 4k then back to a media pc because of the poor audio support for external sources and guessing nothing will have changed with this version.

The reason I initially bought the ATV4K, was because my current TV's "Smart" functionality is absolute Pants & sluggish! When I do upgrade my TV this year, It will most likely include the AppleTv app right? Its even on the playstation. So I can still watch my itunes movies, Tv's now have airplay, there isnt a reason for me to upgrade, or even a reason for me to stick with the current ATV4K. Oh well, looks like ill be selling it then.
There are a number of things the ATV does better than any smart TV and streaming box. Frame rate matching being a big one. Also the ATV was years ahead and still one of the only devices to support Dolby Atmos and Vision on all the big streaming apps. All Android/google devices including Sony TVs don’t support those on Disney+ for example.

Are there any leaks talking about bitstream passthrough? Would be nice for the apple tv to actually output atmos through the sonos arc.
The current model outputs Atmos to the Sonos Arc.

I’ve literally never used the supplied remote on the current model. It’s still in the box I think.

As soon as I connected it, the HDMI-CEC just instantly made my LG TV remote the controller for the ATV.

I always see so many people complaining about the supplies remote though - what am I missing, why don’t users use CEC in the same way I’m having such joy with?
Using a universal remote you lose all the voice functionality which for many is core to the interface.

Ultimately ATV 4K box is a streaming device and Apple won't make it easy for the peasants. It's meant to be used within the realm of Apple Ecosystem. The streaming capabilities are primarily focussed on iTunes and Apple TV+. Unless Apple decide to upgrade to lossless audio, we are never going to see it with other apps.

To me ATV USPs are:

1. Frame rate matching.
2. iTunes - full bit rates (no throttling)

I think the latest Roku streamer can play mkv files via USB passing through audio. Maybe, Apple could have done that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are a number of things the ATV does better than any smart TV and streaming box. Frame rate matching being a big one. Also the ATV was years ahead and still one of the only devices to support Dolby Atmos and Vision on all the big streaming apps. All Android/google devices including Sony TVs don’t support those on Disney+ for example.

The current model outputs Atmos to the Sonos Arc.

Using a universal remote you lose all the voice functionality which for many is core to the interface.

I misremembered the problem sorry. The issue is that the Apple TV doesn’t output atmos if the tv it’s connected to doesn’t support eARC. In that situation the Apple TV menu option for atmos is unavailable.

dont really see any point updating mine...? for what use it for ? netflix streaming, catch up TV and such ....it seems to also stream adequately all audio comes off it as well..
Don’t be ridiculous...you know we’re going to buy it 😂😂😂

I’m going to pick up the 32GB model as well. 👍🏻

I’m going to pick up the 32GB model as well. 👍🏻
I need to get that app and see what storage I have left on my current one.
*can’t find the app that adds it up for you but I reckon I’m using about 4gb in apps

Last edited:
That's the right choice but only £20 to double the storage? Hard not to...

Good point, getting the 64gb version now 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom