NEWS: Apple introduces new Apple TV 4K with High Frame Rate HDR support

Madakaii

Standard Member
Will this new Apple TV support HDR10 or HDR10+ as well ? Samsung TV here... :)

Space Force

Will this new Apple TV support HDR10 or HDR10+ as well ? Samsung TV here... :)
It has always supported HDR10. I doubt it will ever support HDR10+ as nobody uses it and there is very little content for it. It‘s a failed tech, like HD-DVD. It’s really a shame that Samsung continues to insist on beating a dead horse.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Will it do Atmos and DTS-X from external sources, not just the lossy Atmos from the apps.

That what kills the current model from my interest.

CarMad

Will it do Atmos and DTS-X from external sources, not just the lossy Atmos from the apps.

That what kills the current model from my interest.
Would be interested in the same. Some passthrough option like the Shield has would be great.

Is there a better alternative to Shield / Plex and if so what is that people are using?

Jimmy2shoes

Now if an app on Apple TV can do this why can’t tv manufacturers do this for TVs?

I assume you mean the calibration part

If so, Samsung are going to do this and TCL over in the US have done this. I think in a short time this will be more of a thing on higher-end Tv's.

At least with Apple they know what there phones variance in cameras will be so I can see them getting better results then using any old phone.

Enapace

I will like the new remote if it properly works with the NowTV app as currently the old remote doesn't work well with it.

jont

Evil Engineer

Underwhelming, TBH.

An A12 isn't much of a speedbump.

Is it fast enough to software decode AV1 at 4K? Because a Soc from the 2018 iPhone won't do it hardware!

Full AV1 support seems pretty important for a streamer released in 2021 if it's expected to last 3+ years before the next half hearted refresh.

And why bother with HDMI 2.1?

It's not like that A12 will be much good for 4K120 games.

alebonau

dont really see any point updating mine...? for what use it for ? netflix streaming, catch up TV and such ....it seems to also stream adequately all audio comes off it as well..

robcat101

I suppose it’s difficult to really go anywhere with a streaming device, particularly if the cost is going to be kept sensible. ATV already does what I needs to do pretty well. I must admit that I’m not a particular fan of the current control, but I’m not spending 50 quid on a new one.

Ains

The key question for me is whether or not it will allow Plex to process Atmos from TrueHD files? If it does that then I can get rid of my Nvidia Shield Pro, which is the only reason I have one

Slinkywizard

I will likely upgrade to this one purely for the new remote. The existing remote is hands down the worst I have ever used. Just not meant for dark rooms. It feels the same upside down as right way up and even picking the thing up usually carries unintentional control consequences. I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

linnasak

Killer app would probably be 4K HFR HDR for sky sports and BT sports. But may have to wait a few years. UHD Blu-ray bit rates would be nice, with DTSX soundtracks filling gaps of those without atmos.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
I agree with everyone above - I would love that new remote, but not at that price.

And I look forward to the guys here reviewing how well this calibration function works. I'm picturing many "Have to have the latest TV but don't alter it because I paid all this money so it must be correct out of the Box" people who have been watching in Vivid store mode, howling that this calibration is broken because everything is now dull & yellow!

dts

Distinguished Member

dts

Distinguished Member
I agree with everyone above - I would love that new remote, but not at that price.

And I look forward to the guys here reviewing how well this calibration function works. I'm picturing many "Have to have the latest TV but don't alter it because I paid all this money so it must be correct out of the Box" people who have been watching in Vivid store mode, howling that this calibration is broken because everything is now dull & yellow!
Totally agree,its pretty mind blowing on just how many people will buy a new tv get it home and just leave it in vivid picture mode,or still watch sd channels...people still need educating and the scary though is many people still seem happy with watching vivid pictures and not getting the best out of their new tv(probably the same folks who want to price match everything) 🤣🤣🤣

Slinkywizard

Totally agree,its pretty mind blowing on just how many people will buy a new tv get it home and just leave it in vivid picture mode,or still watch sd channels...people still need educating and the scary though is many people still seem happy with watching vivid pictures and not getting the best out of their new tv(probably the same folks who want to price match everything) 🤣🤣🤣
I actually experienced this visiting my dad about a year ago. His main TV was on high frame interpolation (SOE unbearable), vivid picture mode with contrast and colour saturation turned up to buggery. I fixed it in about 3 minutes and he was like... Wow, it looks so realistic now. Lol.

Ter

Will this new device finally support:
1) Amazon Prime in 4K HDR
2) BBC iPlayer in 4K HLG
The hardware seems to, but unclear if the apps will.

ggwoodland

It already supports Amazon 4K HDR just not the Samsung version of HDR. It will be good if it supports HLG (must admit looked at specs and didn’t see HLG mentioned) but having iPlayer beta support would be great- george

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021