NEWS: Apple AirPods Pro to ship from 30th Oct for £249

Just picked mine up and they are a really nice upgrade from Gen 1 & 2 due to the noise cancellation and better fit (I surprisingly felt most comfortable with the smallest tips and get a good seal with all sizes according to the software)

I asked my wife to try them and got the “for flips sake, what’s so special about a set of AirPods?” look from her (she has some gen 1). Right up until I turned on the noise cancellation and the dyson fan she was stood next to went virtually silent in her ears! 😂

They still sound like AirPods so I’m sure there are better sounding headphones and earphones out there but the integration with iOS and the fact I’m not keen on over ear headphones make these just about perfect for me.

Anyone who has purchased the new AirPod Pros - How do they compare to the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1’s? Torn between the two, with price being one of the factors - although the iOS simplicity and active-eq of the AirPod Pros are causing me to lean towards them.

I’m not getting on with these at all. Tried the medium and small tips and both are equally uncomfortable (large is too big for me). And whereas my Gen1s were unobtrusive, I’m just so conscious these Pros are jammed in my ears.

I’ll give it another day or two but my gut feeling is these are going to end up on eBay over the weekend.

Pulled the trigger on these and so far I’m pleased. Once in after a while I don’t know I’ve got them on so really comfortable. SQ is good and battery life has been great so far. Only issue I have is when I first got them and carried out the fit test it was all good, now no matter what tip or how I position them it keeps failing... albeit the sound is still good.

The noise cancelling is pretty amazing and doesn’t seem to affect the SQ and I love the way it all just works in the Apple eco system.

Think the adjustment on the pods themselves is a bit gimmicky and probably won’t bother, using my iPhone or iPad to switch between noise cancelling, transparency, skipping through tracks etc...

Do Apple ever have Black Friday deals? Would these likely reduce in price at all?

Even more happy with mine after taking my old Gen 1’s to CEX today. Tried selling them here but had no interest, expected £71 from CEX (grade B) but was given £94 (grade A).
Makes it feel like both myself and my wife got a relatively inexpensive upgrade (she now has my Gen 2).

Just pulled the trigger and bought directly through Apple online. Can collect tomorrow from Cardiff, but can’t go until Thursday. Bought the AppleCare as well. Looking forward to getting them.

For that money Id rather buy a pair of real HiFi headphones, Grado, RHA etc.

Try sticking them in your pocket.

Oh totally Grado aren't pockitable, but £250 is HiFi headphone money, you would be as well dropping £149 on RHA True Connects, which will be similar or likely better quality audio, plus metal charging case over what I guess is plastic from the apple ones?

Attachments

• 71kttJqv9LL._SL1500_.jpg
    71kttJqv9LL._SL1500_.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 56
Can't comment on the RHA's as never tried them but I own many headphones (Over ear/ IEM's) and the Aipods 2 and now the Pro has become my most used headphones, purely because I always have them on me which means that I'm listening to more music than ever before and being able to handle all my business calls leaving me handsfree throughout the day is a massive added bonus for me.

Yep there are of course better quality cans out there (all though if you havent listened to them - you may be pleasantly surprised!) but I think the overall convenience factor, sound quality and the whole Apple eco integration, these things take some beating as an all-rounder portable headphone.

RHA True Connects
Yeah but they aren't magical! (tongue firmly in cheek) Saying that I might get a pair to use with my Samsung note 10 (blasphemy)and ipad, but I'm not paying £250. As you said, that's Hifi territory. No way will they be better than the Sony WF-1000XM3 I had which had exceptional sound quality and very good noise cancelling. The only issue was the form factor which Apply have a lead on.

I have the XM3 and APPros, you’ll be surprised how good the Pro’s are, I think they’re epic for size and money.
Yeah but they aren't magical! (tongue firmly in cheek) Saying that I might get a pair to use with my Samsung note 10 (blasphemy)and ipad, but I'm not paying £250. As you said, that's Hifi territory. No way will they be better than the Sony WF-1000XM3 I had which had exceptional sound quality and very good noise cancelling. The only issue was the form factor which Apply have a lead on.

Any thoughts a week on from owners? Thinking I will dip for a pair this weekend.
Love mine, but then I loved my gen 1 and my gen 2.
The Pros take everything that was already good about the AirPods and make them better. Better fit, and better sound (due to the noise cancellation).

If you already liked the AirPods then I can’t see any reason not to upgrade if you were looking for new wireless in ears. If you already own decent noise cancelling in ears, it’s probably not worth the cost of changing

I love them. Perfect for the train, perfect for popping in on a walk, perfect for just turning the noise down in a shop. Comfortable, easy to use, sound great particularly with the ANC on.

I thought the noise cancelling was failing in one ear this morning but I popped off the silicon, put it back on the other way up and the problem went away.

I picked them up yesterday and love them. This is the first pair of true wireless headphones I’ve owned and they sound great to me. The noise cancelling is amazing. Great even though a little pricey, but they just fit perfectly into the Apple iOS infrastructure.

Last edited:
Very impressed with these not least because they’re the first Apple earpods / airpods that stay in my ears unaided. I had the OG Airpods for over 2.5 years (regular use - battery still ok) but could only use them with the addition of sillicone style “earhoox” which had to be removed / put back on when transferring to / from the case. It was only a second or two operation, particularly as they loosened, but still..
No such issue with the Pros - great fit straight out of the box with the medium tips.
I think sound quality / noise cancellation on them is good - maybe not quite the level of the Bose QC 30 I had but then they’re not truly wireless and you also have to sport a rather annoying neckband.
Thanks to Inked for referencing CEX - would never have thought of taking my OG pair there. Basically got around 50% back on my initial outlay in March 2017 at the Apple Store, Amsterdam.

I have bought a pair today, very impressed so far. ANC/Transparency works really well and you forget they are there.

Can anyone comment on how these compare to the Sony WF-1000XM3? Anyone own both?

My most anticipated smartphone accessory of the year. Still waiting for stores to have stock here. Maybe this week...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom