Quantcast

NEWS: Apple acquires Tom Hanks’ ‘Greyhound’ amidst TV+ content expansion

interbear

Inevitable given the slowdown in new show production.

I got a free 12 month subscription to Apple TV + when I bought a MacBook in November. So far, have enjoyed some of the content - Servant and Home Before Dark were OK. Particularly enjoyed For all Mankind, thought that was excellent.

However, I don’t think I’ve seen enough yet to pay for yet another subscription when the 12 months is up. So adding content will be essential if Apple want to keep subscribers like me on board.

As another wee annoyance, I also find the Apple TV remote a ball ache to use. For a company with such a focus on user interface, quite how that ever got released is beyond me. Looking forward to getting a TV with an onboard Apple TV + app to try that.

MarcoDB

As another wee annoyance, I also find the Apple TV remote a ball ache to use.
You may be able to use the navigation buttons on your main TV remote control to operate the Apple TV; it does require HDMI Control / CEC to be enabled on your TV and your AV receiver, if you have one.

See Wiki link below for branding used by TV manufacturers to describe that setting.

My Sony TV remote works when I have the Apple TV selected as the input source and I find it much easier to use the Apple TV with regular push buttons.

Back on topic, the film looks promising, if only because Tom Hanks always delivers a great performance!

I too have a free 12 month Apple TV subscription for buying an Apple iPad, so I'll have to give it a look.

interbear

You may be able to use the navigation buttons on your main TV remote control to operate the Apple TV; it does require HDMI Control / CEC to be enabled on your TV and your AV receiver, if you have one.

See Wiki link below for branding used by TV manufacturers to describe that setting.

My Sony TV remote works when I have the Apple TV selected as the input source and I find it much easier to use the Apple TV with regular push buttons.

Back on topic, the film looks promising, if only because Tom Hanks always delivers a great performance!

I too have a free 12 month Apple TV subscription for buying an Apple iPad, so I'll have to give it a look.
Thanks - will take a look at this - might try both your suggestion and the on-board Apple TV+ app when the new TV arrives tomorrow, see what I prefer. If the onboard app wins I'll relegate the Apple TV 4K to the other room.

On topic - I agree with you that this actual Tom Hanks production will likely be very good, I'll definitely watch it. Broadly speaking though, Apple will need to step it up big time in terms of content delivery to compete in a very crowded market. That said, I prefer their focus on quality vs volume which seems to have been evident so far. Is it enough though? I'm not convinced yet. And given we already pay subscriptions for Sky, BT Sport, Netflix and Amazon Prime I'm not sure I want to take on another when the free 12 months run out. And daughter wants me to add Disney + to the mix too! :rolleyes:

peterve

Standard Member
Better keep your daughter happy, Disney+ is nice for a few months. As for Apple TV+, I liked a few shows, others not so much. I too got a free 12 month subscription when I bought a MacBook Pro in December last year.

One other thing I find worth mentioning is that the streaming quality of Apple TV+ seems top-notch, to my eyes, on my Panasonic GZ2000, a lot better than Netflix.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I also got the 12 month sub when buying a IPAD though £8 per month cheaper than the Premium Netflix sub .. Apple tv + has far too little content , Disney + is also short on substance.

interbear

Better keep your daughter happy, Disney+ is nice for a few months. As for Apple TV+, I liked a few shows, others not so much. I too got a free 12 month subscription when I bought a MacBook Pro in December last year.

One other thing I find worth mentioning is that the streaming quality of Apple TV+ seems top-notch, to my eyes, on my Panasonic GZ2000, a lot better than Netflix.
Good point on streaming quality. Apple TV+ is very good quality (video and audio) via my Apple TV 4K. I’m intrigued to see if there’s any difference via the webOS app on LG TV.

interbear

I also got the 12 month sub when buying a IPAD though £8 per month cheaper than the Premium Netflix sub .. Apple tv + has far too little content , Disney + is also short on substance.
Indeed. It seems that the more streaming services that come online the weaker the compelling reason to subscribe to them gets. There is, at the end of the day, only so much content available. New and “original” content is where the winners will play. I also think that while we are in a phase of fragmentation of multiple streaming services now, some consolidation may eventually happen. This is perhaps a naïve hope on my part :cool:

Ajaans

Standard Member
I have had AppleTV for a couple of months and I am enjoying the original shows with "Defending Jacob" and "For All Mankind" being the true standout. Their picture and sound quality are also top notch for a streaming service and I find myself renting movies through Apple rather than Amazon due to the streaming quality.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
If ATV allows is to buy for £10, it will do well but think they are going ask £20 which means I will buy the UHD as I am a patient guy lol.

peterve

Standard Member
The Tom Hanks movie is acquired for Apple TV+, so the way I understand it, you don’t have to pay separately for this film when you subscribe to Apple TV+

Top Bottom