NEWS: AMC Cinemas in UK and US set to re-open in July. Are you going?

Will you be going to the cinema when they reopen?

• Yes, can't wait

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Yes, but I'm worried about catching covid

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • No, too worried about catching covid

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No, I'm not a cinema goer

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Don't know, yet

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
When I went to cinemas it was almost always the earliest show on a Monday morning when I start a night shift week Monday night. Almost no-one attending and in reality, no different to any seating plans etc for the re-opening. I'd go when they re-open

However, with so many still on furlough and no doubt much reduced screenings, this will just increase the chance that those early Monday shows will be a lot more popular. So add the hassle of a lot more people (yuk in any case) and then for the safety measures the cinemas are using needing to be used, nah I'm still out.

While i completley understand a company wanting to open as soon as possible to recoup some of their profits, i just cant see myself (and maybe others?) going to a cinema for quite some time. They're basically asking you to sit in small confined space with everyone sharing the same air.

tend to agree - even as a huge Nolan fan and really keen to see Tenet I suspect I will wait for the 4K disk

Can’t wait to get back to the cinema, but those early weeks are going to be very nervy for many people. All it would take is the occasional cough or two and then people will be scared.

If anyone wants to go back to the cinema and chooses to go back to the cinema, once they are in the auditorium, there may be be a sudden realisation they are scared to cough. And if anyone else coughs, well...

It'll be interesting to see the box office figures. If they are poor for the next 6 months, several of the major studios will wish they had launched some of their other titles onto streaming and on demand platforms.

Personally I don't see cinema attendances and theatre attendances come to it, getting back to pre lockdown levels until after a vaccine is found, so another 18-24 months. At that point AMC and Cineworld will probably have gone bankrupt, as well as Netflix and Amazon taking over some of the studios. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon take a punt on Disney or Sony for that matter.

Last edited:
not sure the studios can afford to let the big cinema chains go as it will be tough to take $1 billion at the box office if there is no box office

I haven't missed going to the cinema, at all. I find the people that can't stop looking at their phones in the cinema really distracting, so much so that it puts me off going. Also with the prices going up and up its no longer good value for money in my opinion, I'd rather watch at home in 4K with Atmos.

I've now got such a backlog of 4K UHD's and TV Shows to watch, and truthfully am fearful of going back to a Cinema, that I think it'll be a long while before I go. Additionally I've become increasingly fed up with the experience. People talking, overall quality of picture and sound, people more interested in their phone than the film etc.....

the dolby screen at the odeon luxe im Birmingham gives you so much personal space that I can zone out other "issues" normally but it means a 30 mile round trip

I have an imax screen about 4 miles away and the picture and sound is good but I can pretty much guarantee just as the film is starting some one will turn up with 3 foot long hot dogs, cheesy nachos, a bucket of pop corn and a gallon of coke - 2 things amaze me about this scenario how they finish it all in a 2 hour film and don't have a coronary

I know I sound like a grumpy old fart ( I am I know) but if I have just spent £15 for a seat i'd rather not have enjoy someone elses meal for the whole show

so I am probably going to wait for tenet black widow maverick and WW84 on disk

Went to see a film at our local Vue in Stratford once and there was a group of teenagers in the row ahead of us constantly on their phones. Even after the film had started one of them threw her long hair over the phone to cover the screen while she was using it.... super annoying but yes agree with many of the sentiments here.. even though something like Tenet deserves to be seen and heard on the big screen this will unlikely be enough to draw regular cinema goers back.
Sadly( well maybe not that sadly) ill wait for the 4k blu ray release and have as many toilet breaks as I need thrown in for good measure..
Strange thing is for some reason the big marvel releases get the best audiences with the most audience interaction - the Black panther experience was amazing...

Given that England, Wales & Scotland have different lock-down rules, the thread title may be misleading

I love going to the cinema, but I will wait yet. I don't see the point in risking it right now.

I have a Cineworld Limited account (well three in total) and I am concerned that as Cineworld took a month in advance (back in Mar/Apr) to be used when they reopen, they may say “tough, we are reopening, we are taking your money”.

I really want to see what they are going to do - are they going to ‘force’ people who are uncomfortable with the arrangements that they put in place or are they going to come up with some options.

Having seen Cineworld staff in action in normal times before Covid I have no confidence that they will be able to control the situation and to maintain a clean and safe theatre.

Cheers,

Nigel

^^^^
Yup. Same here.

I think the cinemas will limit attendances. Probably be 5 times further away from anyone than in walking round a supermarket.

On this forum there are so many cinema horror experiences and stories posted that I don't really see any on others. 3 foot long hotdogs, crisps or Nacho's, chippy, local curry houses, homemade side isle barbecues and someone kicking the back of your chair in. Really? I've never really had a problem and neither have my kids. Mind you, if anyone turns their phone on in the cinemas I attend, they get one warning to turn it off then get quietly kicked out.

Not remotely scared. Some of us have been out there working amongst the public for months anyway. Let's get things moving again. I'll be day one for Tenet.

I was using Odeon Limitless card at least once a week until lockdown and thankfully my local multiplex just got Luxe upgrade, so keeping 2 metres apart (let alone 1 metre if the regulations change) should be a cinch; as the rows are that far apart to accommodate the recliners anyway.

Guess they’ll need to keep a pair of seats empty between groups but I’ve always preferred to go midweek when the auditoriums are half empty anyway :D

1591956741593.jpeg

Can't wait to get back to the cinema as I absolutely love watching films on the big screen. Since my screening time preference tends to be more along the lines of 10am on a Sunday, I'm not that concerned about huge crowds to be honest. I wonder if they might make things like wearing a face covering a requirement initially (which I would have no problem with doing)?

Last edited:
I think this might be it for me. I don’t think I’ll be going back. I do most of my film watching on iTunes rental anyway and only see the big feature films (Star Wars, Avengers) at the local Vue when there is a group desperate to see them. I’m happy to wait and watch at home.

Stay away from being groomed by the media....go to the cinema now, now go on holiday via a aircraft now..................World has been FUBAR long enough

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom