Quantcast

NEWS: Amazon Prime hits 150 million subscribers

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Yeah, but how many of those use Prime Video?
I know I don’t.
I only really have Prime for the free delivery options(same day, next day).
I used to keep getting email reminders about PV, but I still don’t use it.
None of their original content interests me.
Not to mention I still buy physical media as I like to actually own the films I enjoy.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@Lostsoul 301281

I used to be like this but have discovered it's useful switching between Netflix and Amazon for entire boxsets of shows I missed as a student. Occasionally I will also put on a film that I missed at the cinema - I sure as heck am not buying a disc blind. If I really like the film I will buy on disc. I rarely stream something I own on disc tho. I similarly use Spotify to be more selective with what music I buy. The fact prime video is a loss leader for Amazon is a big deal in making the expense work imo :)

P.s. I rarely watch Amazon originals due to the backlog but some of them look interesting

jwsg

I dont normally bother with films on Prime as 4K films from iTunes are worth the asking price, but it's illogical not to make best use of the PV TV series selection, many of which are in 4K HDR.

It depends on which genres one prefers, but from Picard, Carnival Row, MITHC, Jack Ryan, Vikings, Mr Robot, The Boys, The Expanse, and so on, something must appeal.

Tim2049

Apart from having a shockingly bad interface, Prime Video is pretty poor in terms of selection/updates. Their 'recently added' section, once you maange to actually find it, barely changes from week to week.

Netflix has only recently become half decent with their new 'what's new' section, but I'm pretty amazed both of them are getting away with being so annoying to navigate.

keithwiggins

Yeah, but how many of those use Prime Video?
I know I don’t.
I only really have Prime for the free delivery options(same day, next day).
I used to keep getting email reminders about PV, but I still don’t use it.
None of their original content interests me.
Not to mention I still buy physical media as I like to actually own the films I enjoy.
Im with you, I watch the odd series on prime, Vikings, mr robot, the boys, picard etc but could quality stuff is few and far between.
Curation is really poor overall, if it wasn't for the delivery's probably wouldn't bother with it.

babator

I switch between Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and other alternatives. The balkanization means the monthly cost of having every service active would be too much for watching the occasional series or movie on weekends.

Netflix seems to have decided that the correct way forward is to regularly increase the monthly price of a subscription. But for me, that just leads to 1-2 month subscriptions every half a year or so.

jwsg

With the Prime sub bought when on offer Ive found enough good stuff on PV, plus NowTV also has some good series for a few months watching and is in HD 5.1 with Boost. The £11.99 for Netflix UHD tier has put me off even a few months re-activation and the dropping of the month's free trial didnt help either.

Top Bottom