NEWS: Amazon in talks to acquire MGM Studios

As a Prime member & appreciating how much cheaper that is than Apple or Disney's versions (The saved postage pays for it easily every year), I applaud this.
HOWEVER, as a Movie Lover, Amazon also need to embrace solid streaming rates, Dolby Vision & especially Dolby Atmos to really convince me that this is the best for this catalogue.

Hopefully whoever buys MGM commits to restoring and remastering the back catalogue in 4K Dolby Vision.

I thought Apple would also be in the running - maybe they are. The MGM library is huge, so much potential to exploit.
It is in the Review

This is not good at all. Slowly but surely all the big franchises are being fragmented to the various streaming services. Sky is dying as it loses over time access to those catalogues and becomes to expensive for what's on offer. However I will not be paying annually for multiple services. At the end of my sky/Netflix deal I will go freeview and dip in to what appeals monthly. If annual payments become the norm then I'll simply swap one service each year.

Right now that is our approach. Financially right now, any service is tough, so Disney+ once every few months is max and works.

I thought Apple would also be in the running - maybe they are. The MGM library is huge, so much potential to exploit.
I think it's too late for Apple to thrive, they skimped out buying studios to bulk their catalogues.

Right now their content is paper thin, even after 16 months they've not got much going on. People on AVF complain about Disney+ at £5.99, I can't imagine what they would think of Apple TV at £4.99. :rotfl:

Apple really needs to invest $20-50 Billion on a few studios but I gather most have now created their on streaming platforms with Paramount+ having a big revamp soon.

This is not good at all. Slowly but surely all the big franchises are being fragmented to the various streaming services. Sky is dying as it loses over time access to those catalogues and becomes to expensive for what's on offer. However I will not be paying annually for multiple services. At the end of my sky/Netflix deal I will go freeview and dip in to what appeals monthly. If annual payments become the norm then I'll simply swap one service each year.

Still cheaper than Sky, if you were a moviegoer like me who doesn't watch terrestrial TV Sky was mad expensive. With Sky you had to buy the Sky basic package (£23+) then add the movie package on top for another £13 or so and plus another £5 to view it in HD. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

Where as with streaming platform you can pick and chose what you want for as low as £6.99.

So all in all £40+ a month to watch films on Sky compared to £30.96 a month subscribing to Netflix, Disney, Prime and Apple TV at the same time. No brainer for me!!!!

I have been expecting rumours of a buy out of MGM for a while not a big hitter film wise these days but a vast back catalogue to tempt the streaming giants

This could be good news for those of us who have Streaming libraries in the US.

MGM have always refused to be part of the Movies Anywhere system and thus you can only watch MGM distributed films in the store where you bough it (rather than any player in the MA system).

So hopefully I'll now be able to watch my complete collection of Bond UHD/4K films in any player rather than just Vudu.

It also means that should Vudu collapse I won't lose the whole lot

This could be good news for those of us who have Streaming libraries in the US.

MGM have always refused to be part of the Movies Anywhere system and thus you can only watch MGM distributed films in the store where you bough it (rather than any player in the MA system).

So hopefully I'll now be able to watch my complete collection of Bond UHD/4K films in any player rather than just Vudu.

It also means that should Vudu collapse I won't lose the whole lot
I got the bond collection in 4k on itunes in a sale, Very nice quality :thumbsup:

MGM have been sold a number of times and so over time are not the power house they once were, as their content has become more and more fragmented as they sold it off. So it represents a strange move as they no longer have access to their full library.

MGM have been sold a number of times and so over time are not the power house they once were, as their content has become more and more fragmented as they sold it off. So it represents a strange move as they no longer have access to their full library.
That’s interesting to note. What I’d personally like to see is 4K Dolby Vision of The Magnificent Seven with the poxy gunshots replaced with proper ones.

I really hope the dont. The Mouse buying out FOX was hard enough to take as a film collector and lover of film history.

Probably end the likes of MGM films being licenced to the likes of Criterion, Arrow Video, Shout Factory etc.

Also make the chances of the titles getting physical UHD releases too.

Last line Sums it up.

Good if you don’t mind multiple subscriptions to cover a huge a ount of content.

Bad if you have any interest in physical media. Just another nail in its coffin.

I wish I'd bought them in Itunes too, they'd be much more portable :)
You should keep an eye on cheapcharts, the bond movies are now split into by actor, they quite of then go on sale, set and alert and get it cheap when it drops :thumbsup:

Cheapcharts

for example if you search "brosnan" it will show you his bundle or "connery" etc

I am I right in thinking MGM don’t produce anything new anymore ?

Last edited:
They still make movies they just aren't really a studio anymore. Bill and Ted Face the Music was an MGM movie. The Bond movies are MGM too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom