NEWS: Amazon Fire TV UK's most popular streaming player

If it also supports NowTV in the UK it would be a really versatile platform. With VM getting into bed with Amazon, I can't see Sky being that far behind. Were that to happen, then I could see no reason why ATV boxes shouldn't then host the NowTV app.Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. Adding Amazon Video to NowTV boxes would work well for me too. Apple+ holds no interest so one box that reliably hosts Amazon Video, Netflix and NowTV gets my money. (Before anyone mentions Roku, yes I'm aware that their kit does host all of these apps now, but until they offer a box with an Ethernet port their kit is persona no grata chez moi.)

Clem

I like the Stick when you consider what you get for the cheap price. Far better value than the AppleTV to me since I have no interest in iTunes.

However, I had a previous generation Pendant device which was linked to an Echo for hands free control. I moved that on in favour of the new 4K stick and removed the Pendant from my account. When I tried to add hands free control to the new stick it wouldn’t work since it won’t recognise my Alexa devices. According to Amazon the devices are still somehow bound to the old Pendant and removing the Pendant from my Amazon account wasn’t sufficient. This is a weakness of their software and it’s been dragging on since last November without resolution. Anybody else had similar?

Why?!!

I watch The Grand Tour and whatever the trio will do on their own and thats it. The GUI is appalling to find UHD content and it's the single biggest reason I don't use it more.

I use 4K ATV all the time and if you want to buy films etc, the prices are far better.

As a service, everyone prefers what they prefer. As a streaming device I have pretty much binned mine.

As a smart device people may get more out it more than I. The only time mine gets any use now is if I go on holiday and it get plugged into the TV there.

The ATV has its own issues including lip sync and missing some 5.1 audio on Amazon. Not to mention the price. Glad to get rid of mine since I don’t buy from iTunes which for now is its only unique feature in relation to far cheaper sticks.

The ATV has its own issues including lip sync and missing some 5.1 audio on Amazon. Not to mention the price. Glad to get rid of mine since I don’t buy from iTunes which for now is its only unique feature in relation to far cheaper sticks.
Don’t forget the rubbish NowTV app that hasn’t been updated for some time, reports of iPlayer issues and the recent Netflix spat with Apple, which are good enough reasons not to buy an Apple box, especially if the Amazon issues are included. It’s a pity, because hardware wise, the Apple box appears to be the best of the bunch, and would integrate well with the other Apple devices that I have. When will manufacturers realise that by offering boxes that play nicely with all of the streaming products out there they stand to gain sales. Right now, forcing people to choose divides the marketplace. So, for example, if there were no issues with apps on Apple boxes I’d go for one. I could junk all my other boxes and hey, I might even dip into Apple’s offerings, but at present, I already have NowTV and AFTV boxes, so won’t be adding another. Roku kit is nearest I suppose in terms of its support, and I’ve seen suggestions that it may well support the Apple+ service. I just don’t get why Roku in the UK doesn’t offer kit (other than the cut-down NowTV box, which I have) with an Ethernet port. That’s a dealer-breaker for me.

Clem

Great, on which of these low cost streaming boxes would you be watching BT Sport in 1080p/60hz if not on the apple TV?

Don’t forget the rubbish NowTV app that hasn’t been updated for some time

The CURRENT beta on the apple TV ends in precisely 6 days time, so it'll be interesting to see how much longer before it's released to the general public. That app then puts the apple TV in exactly the same position as the Now tv devices for the service.

reports of iPlayer issues

Really!? Not to say they don't exist, just that I'm really surprised by that. Iplayer has run absolutely fine this end, I know in comparison to the fire stick 4k the Iplayer app lacks HLG, but otherwise I'm more than happy with the current app.

and the recent Netflix spat with Apple, which are good enough reasons not to buy an Apple box,

How has this spat changed the way people with an apple TV watch and use the Netflix app, as opposed to on say a roku, or a fire stick? (the answer is it hasn't actually changed ANYTHING at all with the service to use.) It is literally that Netflix understandably don't want to have to give Apple anymore of its income than it has to, which means getting people to subscribe direct rather than via the Apple TV itself. Why would that decision impact your purchase when there isn't anything different for you as a subscriber?

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m remotely interested in the BT Sport app. If it works well then good but it is hardly a major selling point for the ATV like iTunes. Nor does that override the problems with the device that I never have with Roku or the Firetv.

Can’t say I’m remotely interested in the BT Sport app. If it works well then good but it is hardly a major selling point for the ATV like iTunes. Nor does that override the problems with the device that I never have with Roku or the Firetv.

No, you mean it isn't a selling point to you personally. The same way that the largest digital media storefront, not to mention the largest 4K digital media storefront isn't of interest to you.

Also, I've owned everything from two Nvidia Shields, a roku 2, a 3 and both the newer roku Streaming stick and "+" models, the original 4K Fire ATV and the newer model 1080p stick. Let's not pretend that the apple TV has remotely as many issues as you've made out in relation to the others mentioned. Hence why the only box now connected up to my tv IS the Apple TV 4k. Certainly not in its current form there isn't. Maybe when they first launched it and there bugs much like the Shield had I would agree.

Last edited:
No, you mean it isn't a selling point to you personally. The same way that the largest digital media storefront, not to mention the largest 4K digital media storefront isn't of interest to you.

Also, I've owned everything from two Nvidia Shields, a roku 2, a 3 and both the newer roku Streaming stick and "+" models, the original 4K Fire ATV and the newer model 1080p stick. Let's not pretend that the apple TV has remotely as many issues as you've made out in relation to the others mentioned. Hence why the only box now connected up to my tv IS the Apple TV 4k.
No I don’t mean that all. Go onto the AppleTV page on their website and there is no mention of the BT Sport app, unlike Amazon etc... It is quite simply not a major selling point for the device.

My current Roku Stick plus and FireTV 4K have no substantive issues. Certainly can’t say that about the ATV. None of them are my first streaming device either o_O

Last edited:
There is streaming and TV consolidation happening in the USA ( Disney has control of Hulu now ), as well as content owners pulling content from other services provides ( Netflix ). CBS just made a opening bid for STARZ , Lionsgate.
If it will affect the content, branded content streamers and TV have access to, in UK, is yet to be seen.

Will Amazon and ATV continue having access to all the content?

No I don’t mean that all. Go onto the AppleTV page on their website and there is mention of the BT Sport app, unlike Amazon etc...

It is quite simply not a major selling point for the device.

Apple TV App

My current Roku Stick plus and FireTV 4K have no substantive issues. Certainly can’t say that about the ATV. None of them are my first streaming device either o_O

Mine is connected directly up to my TV and I don't have any issues of note. I'd love to know the cause of your issues with it, I do vaguely remember you having some to do with when it was connected to your Denon receiver.

I use Now TV (OK the Beta, not the absolute dross that is the one the public has had to put up with. Completely agree that as far as the outward facing public app goes it is a weak point of the apple TV.) I also use Amazon, Netflix, BT Sport and obviously iTunes releases. I just don't get where you've had enough issues to warrant getting rid of it. I don't mean that in an argumentative kind of way, I mean I genuinely am stumped by that mate. Like I say, we got rid of all the others, so we've relied on the apple TV more and more with every box it's slowly replaced over time. (the roku outlasted the amazon fire stick in the end because of Now TV.)

Denon and now Yamaha receiver. Obvious lip sync issues throughout on both amps made it unwatchable. No such problems with Roku or FireTV so why bother at the price.

I like the simple interface on the device, hate the remote, like the idea of matching and there is iTunes. But doesn’t work for me, though eventually I’ll buy another one of course to try again when the new streaming service starts. I’ve already had three of the current gen ATVs but had to admit defeat on all.

On this topic I currently have an Apple TV4k, a Roku and a Fire TV 4K - but none quite work the way I want, so I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I want a player that can use the Plex app (for films on my NAS), Netflix, Amazon and iPlayer and give a raw/bitstream sound output for all these apps. The devices I have don’t seem to offer the audio output I want, each seems restricted in some way.

I recently sold a Dune player, which is brilliant for network/NAS streaming but crap for Netflix etc. I’m beginning to think there is no device that can do network streaming plus online streaming services without limitations.

Any ideas?

On this topic I currently have an Apple TV4k, a Roku and a Fire TV 4K - but none quite work the way I want, so I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I want a player that can use the Plex app (for films on my NAS), Netflix, Amazon and iPlayer and give a raw/bitstream sound output for all these apps. The devices I have don’t seem to offer the audio output I want, each seems restricted in some way.

I recently sold a Dune player, which is brilliant for network/NAS streaming but crap for Netflix etc. I’m beginning to think there is no device that can do network streaming plus online streaming services without limitations.

Any ideas?
Perhaps look at the Shield but like you I still think it is a two box world.

Perhaps look at the Shield but like you I still think it is a two box world.
Oh it's easily a two box world.

I have the 4KATV and love it to bits and don't mind the remote, but used the remote app mostly since the phone is always to hand. But now I've gone android it's back to the remote.

I'd love to have all my virgin cable stuff on the ATV also, but thats probably never going to happen.

We tried the fire stick but found it very poor compared to the ATV. The Apple UI is light years ahead in terms of usability and it’s never missed a beat.

No, it will remain a multi-box world whilst vendors remain territorial. A one-box solution doesn't [yet] exist. the 4KATV is closest perhaps from the hardware perspective, but whilst the app support, the stuff that people actually use, is still iffy, most of us are stuck with having to use more than one box in order to get the services that we want.

Clem

I've had all the boxes under the sun - ATV 4K is the superior choice by a considerable distance.

One box, all the apps we need. Job done.

Clearly people have their favourites but it doesn’t surprise me that Amazon is the most popular streaming box in this country, particularly given its low price. I’ve recently got my hands free Alexa voice control back and it genuinely works well which is another big plus. Not quite at the stage where a remote is absolutely unnecessary but we are getting there.

My own take on streaming devices I’ve owned recently.

Amazon Fire 4K - DV and HDR. Atmos capable but next to no material. Frame rate matching on Prime. Excellent hands free. Official YouTube HDR coming back. MrMc on there if you really must. Cheap.
Roku SS+ - No DV. No hands free in the UK. Dated Amazon app.
AppleTV 4K - problems with lip sync on various receivers. Amazon app is half baked. Access to iTunes. Infuse works well apparently. Very expensive for a streaming device.
Shield - Been a year now since I last tried but previously it was unreliable, with PQ issues. Seems better now by most accounts. Gaming segment was never very thrilling. Expensive if all you want is a device for streaming services but Kodi there if you wish.
Chromecast Ultra - works fine in HDR but you’ve got to love your phone since you cast everything. No remote. Amazon coming back.

I have a fire stick or at least had one and whilst it was fine i moved to the ATV. It's all much of a muchness for what i do and could've picked any 4K option and been happy. But having bought into the apple ecosystem i just find it works and i like the ability cast from phones or iPads to the ATV and then on the tv screen itself.

i like the ability cast from phones or iPads to the ATV and then on the tv screen itself.
Are you talking about mirroring the iOS screen rather than casting? You can cast most, though not all, of the main streaming devices to any of the devices. In particular I often cast youtube from iPad to FireTV.

Are you talking about mirroring the iOS screen rather than casting? You can cast most, though not all, of the main streaming devices to any of the devices. In particular I often cast youtube from iPad to FireTV.

Yes micro screen option. I know most other things can offer a solution but with MacBook, iPads and iPhones i just find it works and is very easy to do

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom