Cheers James, I'll try it directly in the TV. Plugging directly into the receiver in AUX2 made no difference. Unfortunately, if the problem is the long cable I'm a bit stuck as it's channeled into the wall the TV is on. It'll take quite a lot of work to change it.

From recent comments I can see that BBC iPlayer does not support HDR/HLG. What about Youtube?

I've recently bought an Apple TV 4K but am rather disappointed to learn that Youtube and iPlayer are lacking HDR support.

While I can get this from my TV's apps I was really hoping for a one-box setup to just tie all the apps together with a slick and clean UI. If the Apple TV 4K can't cover HDR across all the big apps then I am less convinced that it's worth the premium.

Does the Fire TV have the same HDR limitation for Youtube?

And what about the likes of Netflix and Prime, can they play content at the correct frame-rate and toggle HDR on when content requires it?

Currently, Amazon Prime and Plex match the source native framerate, the Netflix app does not. Iplayer in UHD-HDR requires the TV to have HLG support (Hybrid Log Gamma). The 2019 LG oleds have HLG).

OK. I’m using the same TV as you and also have a 4K Fire TV stick. My Fire TV stick is plugged into AUX2 on the rear of my Denon X6200W.

Can you try plugging the Fire TV Stick directly into HDMI2 on the GZ950B and see if you get a different result?

is the Amazon 4.6 metre cable HDMI Premium certified?

I had to replace a 5 metre copper HDMI cable (made by Profigold) with a hybrid Fibre cable as the copper cable would not fully support gigabits per second throughout.

You may want to consider swapping out your existing HDMI cable for a ATZEBE Hybrid fibre cable. These work flawlessly.

Regards,
James.
Well, after further testing I've had to plug the FIreTV 4K directly into the telly. So either the cable in the wall is not up to it or the FireStick is just fussy. At least I can route the audio back to the amp. I still think it's a fire TV issue though as the UHD blu-ray player is a happy camper.

Now just to reconfigure the Harmony :(

Cheers.

NetFlix *always* uses 60 Hz 4K. You need 12 bit HDR for DolbyVision. The NetFlix App does *not* support the 'Match Original Frame rate' option provided by the the Fire TV stick. NetFlix need to update their App to support this, and they stubbornly refuse to do so.
Actually Netflix defaults to 1080p50 when the Firestick resolution is set to Auto unless you manually change the display setting to 2196p50 but then you lose Dolby Vision because it doesn't support DV at 2160p50. The same default resolution also applies to iPlayer and Youtube

Netflix 4K content, like Prime Video, is mainly 24Hz rather than 50Hz or 60Hz.

As for Netflix's refusal to update the app for the frame rate matching option, I'm not surprised since Amazon is a direct competitor to them so it's in their interest to leave it as an inferior app.

So the stick does not support Dolby Vision at all in the Apple TV app?
Also, bar Philips tv's is there any way to know if it's putting out 10+?

No it’s the HDR on the Fire stick. Recent Panasonic TVs also support HDR 10+.

No it’s the HDR on the Fire stick. Recent Panasonic TVs also support HDR 10+.
You can force DV but obviously it's fake.
Turns out its not putting out 10+, the internal app is but not the stick.
In the app it wont let you put on dynamic HDR if it gets a 10+ signal.
On the stick it will, bit crap that.

The last 3 films and 3 episodes of a series I’ve watched on Netflix via the firestick and 1080p tv have had no motion issues o_O🤪🤔😂

As far as I know there is no device supporting Dolby Vision in the Apple TV app other than Apple's devices. It is quite suspicious, as I can watch some shows in Dolby Vision on Prime Video. Technical problems or ill will? Who knows?

As far as I know there is no device supporting Dolby Vision in the Apple TV app other than Apple's devices. It is quite suspicious, as I can watch some shows in Dolby Vision on Prime Video. Technical problems or ill will? Who knows?
Prime only supports 10 and 10+, if you force HDR it will output fake Dv

I imagine it’s a restriction Apple insisted on or noboby would bother buying AppleTV’s.

Prime only supports 10 and 10+, if you force HDR it will output fake Dv
Prime used to support Dolby Vision - the first season of Jack Ryan was Dolby Vision (the main reason I bought the 4K stick as Dolby Vision looks much better the HDR10 on my tv). Shortly before the second season was released, they switched it back to HDR10. Shame! Now the only reason I keep the Fire stick is for 4K HDR on YouTube.

I imagine it’s a restriction Apple insisted on or noboby would bother buying AppleTV’s.
I don't want to own any of their stuff, and my TV doesn't need DV so it won't help them sell anything

It's just a bit silly.

Watching Picard on the stick and the x-ray info is way behind. I do like the feature but it’s fairly unreliable at keeping up with the scenes on various content.

I‘ve got to say I’m finding the Fore Tv stick very buggy and the overall service pretty poor. I started watching Rob Delaney’s new stand up on the Amazon app on the Apple TV but experienced a lot of judder, so added it to my watchlist and switched to the Fire tv stick, only to find it wasn’t in my watchlist! When I clicked it in the suggested viewing list the show wasn’t there it was just a trailer. Came back to it 2 days later and now it’s there but every time I click it I get an error messages saying something went wrong. Opens fine on the Apple and the tv app but again this jerky movement. So annoying.

I‘ve got to say I’m finding the Fore Tv stick very buggy and the overall service pretty poor. I started watching Rob Delaney’s new stand up on the Amazon app on the Apple TV but experienced a lot of judder, so added it to my watchlist and switched to the Fire tv stick, only to find it wasn’t in my watchlist! When I clicked it in the suggested viewing list the show wasn’t there it was just a trailer. Came back to it 2 days later and now it’s there but every time I click it I get an error messages saying something went wrong. Opens fine on the Apple and the tv app but again this jerky movement. So annoying.
I find the opposite, I can add something to my watchlist on either the built in TV app or the Prime Video app on my phone and it is there instantly on the Firestick, The only errors I seem to get is on Netflix.. sometimes it says 'an unexpected error has occurred' when launching a film/series, but it always launches on the next try (this seems to happen on both the Firestick and the TV app though)..

Quick question on the Amazon Fire tv stick 4k. Is it still possible to side load Now tv onto it?
I've been told it's not possible now (by a guy in IT)
Thanks for any info.

Downloaded APPLE TV app on my Fire TV 4K stick and created AppleID. Logged on and when trying to watch a movie, it says I should purchase the movie via Apple device. Is there any way by which I can pay outside (using a non-apple device) so that I am able to watch the movie via Fire TV stick?

Downloaded APPLE TV app on my Fire TV 4K stick and created AppleID. Logged on and when trying to watch a movie, it says I should purchase the movie via Apple device. Is there any way by which I can pay outside (using a non-apple device) so that I am able to watch the movie via Fire TV stick?
If you have a Windows PC you could try installing iTunes, and see if that opens up tv/movie purchases.

Quick question on the Amazon Fire tv stick 4k. Is it still possible to side load Now tv onto it?
I've been told it's not possible now (by a guy in IT)
Thanks for any info.
I tried when I got my Firestick a couple of months ago without success.

As someone who really likes the 4k firestick I kinda feel like it's turning to poop.

Numerous annoying issues cropping up with the latest being the new episode of Vikings not showing up on the firestick, but it's showing on roku and inbuilt TV app.

Last edited:
For a “poop” device I was just pleasantly surprised that For All Mankind played in Dolby Vision on the AppleTV app. Good show by the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom