Bit of an update, watched a couple of HD iTunes movies, and they play perfectly! No stutters/skips at all!?
It's just the 4K movies that have these micro stutters. And I'm not sure if it has got anything to do with the frame rate actually, because the stutters are so inconsistent?!

They seem to happen whenever there is a sudden change on screen if that makes sense? Like a scene change, or something suddenly moving on screen, then a tiny, almost unperceivable skip/stutter!
Which does make me still wonder if processing power is to blame?

Bit of an update, watched a couple of HD iTunes movies, and they play perfectly! No stutters/skips at all!?
It's just the 4K movies that have these micro stutters. And I'm not sure if it has got anything to do with the frame rate actually, because the stutters are so inconsistent?!

They seem to happen whenever there is a sudden change on screen if that makes sense? Like a scene change, or something suddenly moving on screen, then a tiny, almost unperceivable skip/stutter!
Which does make me still wonder if processing power is to blame?
No it’s not, At least not with a 1080p display. There’s no rhyme nor reason for the stutter/skips or whatever else you can call it!.

Does anyone know what’s causing the football frame skips/stutters on the 4K Firestick?

Does anyone know what’s causing the football frame skips/stutters on the 4K Firestick?
Hi Andrew, does your avr show the frame rates somewhere in the menus ?, I’m seeing 2 types of motion issue on different programs/films, constant stutter on panning, or an intermittent skip every so often. There are occasions when it seems ok though ...

Hi Andrew, does your avr show the frame rates somewhere in the menus ?, I’m seeing 2 types of motion issue on different programs/films, constant stutter on panning, or an intermittent skip every so often. There are occasions when it seems ok though ...
No, I’ve no idea what the frame rate is. It should be 50fps i imagine.
I don’t think it’s a frame rate thing though, the stutters seem too random, there’s no pattern to them.
I tried turning off frame rate matching, but that just created a god awful mess so that got switched back on rapidly.
Perhaps it is a lack of processing power like @Spoonablehippo said.
I’ve got an ATV and the TVs app to use which don’t stutter so it’s not the end of the world, but the Firestick has a better interface and more features than either of them.

No, I’ve no idea what the frame rate is. It should be 50fps i imagine.
I don’t think it’s a frame rate thing though, the stutters seem too random, there’s no pattern to them.
I tried turning off frame rate matching, but that just created a god awful mess so that got switched back on rapidly.
Perhaps it is a lack of processing power like @Spoonablehippo said.
I’ve got an ATV and the TVs app to use which don’t stutter so it’s not the end of the world, but the Firestick has a better interface and more features than either of them.

I haven’t a clue, I gave up trying to sort it. Some things are ok some not. You would think it should be an easy enough task for the stick to output motion with no issues.
i thought about an ATV but from reading up they have some issues to.

I haven’t a clue, I gave up trying to sort it. Some things are ok some not. You would think it should be an easy enough task for the stick to output motion with no issues.
i thought about an ATV but from reading up they have some issues to.
You‘re right, the ATV isn’t perfect for anything other than Apples own content. It’s probably the best of the lot overall, but with some niggles.
I thought Amazons own device would be the best for anything from Prime, but that’s not necessarily true. Very strange.
Why is it so hard to make a streaming box that does everything properly?? Grrr!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Christmas mate and all the best for 2020.

You‘re right, the ATV isn’t perfect for anything other than Apples own content. It’s probably the best of the lot overall, but with some niggles.
I thought Amazons own device would be the best for anything from Prime, but that’s not necessarily true. Very strange.
Why is it so hard to make a streaming box that does everything properly?? Grrr!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Christmas mate and all the best for 2020.

Yeah it doesn't make sense does it!, When one finally comes along I'm sure it will sell well!.

Thanks mate and you to, few days off so hopefully get a few more films in :clap:.

Mine's fine, just watching ManU v newcastle, so skips or stuttering at all in 4k

Display settings are..
Video resolution - Automatic (up to 4k)
Match original frame rate - set to ON
Colour depth - up to 12 bits
Colour format - Automatic (should this be set RGB or YCbCr) ??
Dynamic range settings - Adaptive

Mine's fine, just watching ManU v newcastle, so skips or stuttering at all in 4k

Display settings are..
Video resolution - Automatic (up to 4k)
Match original frame rate - set to ON
Colour depth - up to 12 bits
Colour format - Automatic (should this be set RGB or YCbCr) ??
Dynamic range settings - Adaptive
Leicester Liverpool is stuttering every so often, somewhere around once a minute as a very approximate estimate. The early matches were a bit worse.
It’s not my connection, that‘s a steady 70Mbps. It’s nothing to do with the settings. Mine are identical to yours.
Not got the faintest idea what’s happening. I’m going to forget about it and enjoy the football.

Leicester Liverpool is stuttering every so often, somewhere around once a minute as a very approximate estimate. The early matches were a bit worse.
It’s not my connection, that‘s a steady 70Mbps. It’s nothing to do with the settings. Mine are identical to yours.
Not got the faintest idea what’s happening. I’m going to forget about it and enjoy the football.
Been watching this game also since it started, no stuttering at all, seems fine. Been watching it critically since your post, and can't fault it (I have 200Mbs internet)

Been watching this game also since it started, no stuttering at all, seems fine. Been watching it critically since your post, and can't fault it (I have 200Mbs internet)
Thanks for looking. It’s going to remain a mystery I think.

200mbps o_O... I get 32 at best:rotfl:

Pretty much the same here, but some marginal stutter for me. My problem is that it didn’t look HDR although it purported to be, a way behind what you might get off BT 4K for example. Just not as vibrant and the occasional drop back to SDR. Work in progress.

All in 7.5 out of 10 here mostly because earlier in the day I could switch between games which we should have had decades ago in this country :confused:

Just testing out the Fire TV Cube now.

I do have a few concerns if other owners can share their experience please.

1) What's up with HDR10+ support?

The Fire TV Cube is advertised as supporting HDR10+. I can see the HDR10+ display info when I play a compatible 4K Blu-ray. Therefore I would expect to see this presented when playing HDR10+ content from Prime Video with this device over HDMI... but I am not.

It's well known that there is no HDR10+ info displayed on the Prime TV app - but surely this should be indicated from a supported HDMI external device.

2) What's up with Match Original Frame Rate?

The Match Frame Rate option appears to only work on Prime Video thus far. Netflix content does not appear to switch frame rate at all.

The Dynamic Range option seems to work correctly, so I am a bit puzzled as to what's up with the Match Frame Rate option.

Besides the above, my initial impressions are positive. I use a Harmony Elite which controls the Cube fine, and having voice support in the device itself means should I want to voice search for content then I won't need to juggle a second remote to do so.

Match Frame Rate, even though it can be enabled on the later generations of the Fire TV Stick in the system menu, the feature still has to supported by the App, and unfortunately NetFlix do not support Frame Rate matching. NetFlix content is always 60 Hz.

trying to watch Fisherman’s Friend on prime to my 4k projector, had the “match frame rate” notice yet every 40 seconds or so I’m getting a motion glitch. What the hell is it with this firestick...

trying to watch Fisherman’s Friend on prime to my 4k projector, had the “match frame rate” notice yet every 40 seconds or so I’m getting a motion glitch. What the hell is it with this firestick...
I’ll bet a quid that it’s filmed at 23.976fps and played by the stick at 24fps.
What was I saying about there’s no streaming device that does everything properly.:rotfl:

I’ll bet a quid that it’s filmed at 23.976fps and played by the stick at 24fps.
What was I saying about there’s no streaming device that does everything properly.:rotfl:
Yeah most likely !, I set resolution part way through to 1080/60hz and that cured the intermittent stutter but replaced it with a more common panning judder with an added bit of soap opera effect :laugh:.

Hi guys, does the fire stick 4K enable Dolby Atmos. On Netflix it only shows Dolby Vision and 5.1 whereas my inbuilt Netflix app on my Sony AG9 and my ATV4K both show Dolby. Vision and Atmos.

Hi guys, does the fire stick 4K enable Dolby Atmos. On Netflix it only shows Dolby Vision and 5.1 whereas my inbuilt Netflix app on my Sony AG9 and my ATV4K both show Dolby. Vision and Atmos.
It does do atmos on some Prime shows like Jack Ryan but not Netflix.

Denon AVR-X3600H and Firestick 4K issue.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've searched and am struggling to see any similar threads. Basically I get no picture output from the FireStick 4K if I have the HDMI ports on the Denon Enhanced mode. I also have a Humax and UHD Blue-Ray connected and they work fine when enhanced mode if selected. The FireStick works with the HDMI ports in standard mode fine, I get UHD / HDR and Dolby vision passed to the screen via the Amp (but YouTube won't playback in 4k :( ). I have the 4k Firestick plugged into the media player HDMI port at the back of the Amp (close to the output as suggested by Denon), I have disabled the video conversion option. no difference.

The resolution on the Stick is set to auto. colour space up to 12bit. I have manually set the resolution to 4K and 1080 but the results are the same. Match original frame rate - set to ON. Colour format - Automatic. Dynamic range settings - Adaptive.

Any suggestions would be great.

Denon AVR-X3600H and Firestick 4K issue.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've searched and am struggling to see any similar threads. Basically I get no picture output from the FireStick 4K if I have the HDMI ports on the Denon Enhanced mode. I also have a Humax and UHD Blue-Ray connected and they work fine when enhanced mode if selected. The FireStick works with the HDMI ports in standard mode fine, I get UHD / HDR and Dolby vision passed to the screen via the Amp (but YouTube won't playback in 4k :( ). I have the 4k Firestick plugged into the media player HDMI port at the back of the Amp (close to the output as suggested by Denon), I have disabled the video conversion option. no difference.

The resolution on the Stick is set to auto. colour space up to 12bit. I have manually set the resolution to 4K and 1080 but the results are the same. Match original frame rate - set to ON. Colour format - Automatic. Dynamic range settings - Adaptive.

Any suggestions would be great.

You are using a rear port on the Denon - which is good because the front HDMI inputs on some (maybe all) Denon AVRs are not full-bandwidth capable. You should always use an HDMI port on the rear which support the full 18 gigabits per second bandwidth specification.

Your HDMI cables may not allow you to reliably pass 4K UHD HDR content at 60 Hz. 12 bit HDR is required for Dolby Vision content.

What Display Device are you using?

What HDMI cable lengths are you using?

Are the cables HDMI Premium certified?

On the Fire TV stick, don't force the resolution to 4K - leave it at Auto.

NetFlix *always* uses 60 Hz 4K. You need 12 bit HDR for DolbyVision. The NetFlix App does *not* support the 'Match Original Frame rate' option provided by the the Fire TV stick. NetFlix need to update their App to support this, and they stubbornly refuse to do so.

60 Hz, 4K HDR requires far, far more bandwidth than even a 4K Blu-ray with Dolby Vision which only uses 24 Hz. The only current Blu-ray exception is 'Billy Linn's Long Halftime Walk' and the up and coming release of 'Gemini Man' which are 60 Hz titles.

Amazon Prime content *does* support the match original frame rate option. Try watching 'Jack Ryan' or an episode of Season 4 of 'The Expanse' in 4K - both of these use HDR, but they only require 24 Hz, so they may work OK. Only Season 4 of the Expanse is in HDR, the previous seasons are available in 4K, but without HDR.

I'm not familiar with 'Standard' and 'Enhanced' modes - my Denon X6200W doesn't have this feature. But it sounds to me like Standard limits the bandwidth to 10 gigabits per second, whereas Enhanced enables the full-fat 18 gigabits per second. It's bad terminology as the UHD standard specifies 18 gigabits per second, not 10. They should call 'Standard Mode', 'Reduced Mode' or 'Limited Mode' but whatever...

Some Epson projectors are limited to 10 gigabits per second (as are the front HDMI ports of the Denon).

4K UHD at 30 Hz with HDR fits within the 10 gigabit limitation, but 60 Hz won't fit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James.

Hi James,

Thanks for the extensive reply. When using the fire stick the only cables involved are the short extension cable supplied with the stick itself, then a 4.6 meter Amazon cable that runs to the display from the Amp.

The Screen is 65" GZ950.

I'm going to test without the small cable supplied with the fire tv.

The thing is the screen goes blank when switching to the enhanced mode with the fire tv just showing the home screen, it's not playing anything back.

The UHD blue-ray player works fine using the same cables.
😕

Hi James,

Thanks for the extensive reply. When using the fire stick the only cables involved are the short extension cable supplied with the stick itself, then a 4.6 meter Amazon cable that runs to the display from the Amp.

The Screen is 65" GZ950.

I'm going to test without the small cable supplied with the fire tv.

The thing is the screen goes blank when switching to the enhanced mode with the fire tv just showing the home screen, it's not playing anything back.

The UHD blue-ray player works fine using the same cables.
😕

OK. I’m using the same TV as you and also have a 4K Fire TV stick. My Fire TV stick is plugged into AUX2 on the rear of my Denon X6200W.

Can you try plugging the Fire TV Stick directly into HDMI2 on the GZ950B and see if you get a different result?

is the Amazon 4.6 metre cable HDMI Premium certified?

I had to replace a 5 metre copper HDMI cable (made by Profigold) with a hybrid Fibre cable as the copper cable would not fully support gigabits per second throughout.

You may want to consider swapping out your existing HDMI cable for a ATZEBE Hybrid fibre cable. These work flawlessly.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom