Andrew, can you check a couple of things for me please. Happy feet from prime, this looks terrible with a judder every second or so, that’s with Match frame rate on, with it Off it’s not as bad but still awful. This same film on the roku stick seems fine.
Also it’s done nothing for lip sync via the Amp, I’m somewhere like 210ms delay now but it seems to keep changing.
As for audio drop outs I can’t comment on that as I haven’t watched an entire film yet.
It looks absolutely fine. Smooth with no obvious judder.
The relevant settings I have are:
Video resolution = auto
Match frame rate = on
Dynamic range = adaptive

I don’t know what’s going on. I wonder if there is something about the W9 or your amp that the stick doesn’t play nicely with. Can you try going direct to the tv?
Edit: Just looking at the settings again. Apparently video resolution must be set to auto for frame rate matching to work.

Last edited:
It looks absolutely fine. Smooth with no obvious judder.
The relevant settings I have are:
Video resolution = auto
Match frame rate = on
Dynamic range = adaptive

I don’t know what’s going on. I wonder if there is something about the W9 or your amp that the stick doesn’t play nicely with. Can you try going direct to the tv?
Edit: Just looking at the settings again. Apparently video resolution must be set to auto for frame rate matching to work.

Yup that's the exact settings I'm using, it's a pain trying direct to TV due to the power cord not long enough. Also what what you do about sound from the amp ?. I'm not a fan of ARC.

Knowing my luck it's faulty.

ARC is working perfectly for me.
It means lipsync is perfect with no messing about with settings, so it’s better than going through the amp for my set up. Your mileage might vary of course.

ARC is working perfectly for me.
It means lipsync is perfect with no messing about with settings, so it’s better than going through the amp for my set up. Your mileage might vary of course.

Do use a harmony ?. I had endless issues with ARC and CEC a few years back.
Do you get all HD audio via ARC ?.
I might have to try it now.

Do use a harmony ?. I had endless issues with ARC and CEC a few years back.
Do you get all HD audio via ARC ?.
I might have to try it now.
No Harmony, just the ordinary remotes....lots of them.:D
I just let CEC do it’s thing. Powering up Sky Q and Firestick etc. switches inputs automatically 99% of the time.
I’m no expert about audio, but I’m getting 5.1 via ARC, but don’t ask me if I’m losing any quality. I wouldn’t have a clue. I don’t have Atmos, so know even less about that. It may depend on what the W9 can send to the amp.

No Harmony, just the ordinary remotes....lots of them.:D
I just let CEC do it’s thing. Powering up Sky Q and Firestick etc. switches inputs automatically 99% of the time.
I’m no expert about audio, but I’m getting 5.1 via ARC, but don’t ask me if I’m losing any quality. I wouldn’t have a clue. I don’t have Atmos, so know even less about that. It may depend on what the W9 can send to the amp.

I'm definitely no expert either but damn it should work properly!. If it wasn't suitable for 1080p televisions it should say so .
The only reason it's not in the dustbin is I feel the picture quality is better than the Roku stick.
I can't really set a manual resolution such as 1080/50 as the frame rate option isn't available.

How come shit doesn't just work for me :laugh:

I'm definitely no expert either but damn it should work properly!. If it wasn't suitable for 1080p televisions it should say so .
The only reason it's not in the dustbin is I feel the picture quality is better than the Roku stick.
I can't really set a manual resolution such as 1080/50 as the frame rate option isn't available.

How come sh*t doesn't just work for me :laugh:
The only thing I can suggest is to eliminate one device at a time.
Try the firestick on another tv if possible as a first step. A bit of a pita if it means watching a whole movie to find the faults though. At least you would know if it’s faulty that way.
Stick the firestick in your tv and use the tv speakers temporarily just to see if it judders. The tv usb socket should be all the power you need for that. That will tell you if the amp is causing your problems.
If it’s the TV causing the problem I don’t know what you do. A new tv is overkill to make a stick work properly and you would get a built in Amazon app anyway, so you wouldn’t need the stick.
Or it’s all too much hassle and you send it back.:D

The only thing I can suggest is to eliminate one device at a time.
Try the firestick on another tv if possible as a first step. A bit of a pita if it means watching a whole movie to find the faults though. At least you would know if it’s faulty that way.
Stick the firestick in your tv and use the tv speakers temporarily just to see if it judders. The tv usb socket should be all the power you need for that. That will tell you if the amp is causing your problems.
If it’s the TV causing the problem I don’t know what you do. A new tv is overkill to make a stick work properly and you would get a built in Amazon app anyway, so you wouldn’t need the stick.
Or it’s all too much hassle and you send it back.:D
Lol I like your last bit of advice :laugh:. I will try direct to TV, I will have to mess with TV settings though as only used hdmi 1.
I can't use arc as I will probably use the projector as well at some point.

Maybe it's my WiFi but it seems ok.

ARC and CEC work a treat on my existing FTV. The only gotcha would be if you watch 4K material and want Dolby Atmos audio, assuming that you have a 4K TV, of course. It’s worth experimenting a bit more, I think.

Clem

Just to hopefully save you some time, mine is working well on an old Panny 42" plasma soon to be OLED ..or maybe not from what I've read recently! FYI I'm using the wired ethernet adapter with the combo running on the PSU as per Amazon's rec.

Well I haven’t tried it direct to tv but did a factory reset etc etc, still that film Happy feet from prime judders like crazy, bizarrely many other films I’m trying seem fine, I wonder why that can be ?.

I'm intrigued so I've just tried that very film, and its 100% 2/3 pulldown. The TV is reporting itself running at 24Hz but the film is definitely not smooth enough to be telling the truth. It's either the film or the stick...but when I got the stick I force fed it lots of 24Hz rips with no blips or farts whatsoever, so I'm thinking the issue is at Amazon's (streaming feed) end. For now!

Further.. I tried running it through the amp and bypassed, still the same. Every time the film starts or resumes theres a screen message "adjusting video framerate" before it starts playing OK for about 3 seconds then its all jerky cack.

Even more further.. runs fine on the 4K pendant but that's on an LG 4K, also fine on the FTV mk1 feeding a Tesco 24" HD Ready LED. I'm not sure if that puts a line under it or not..

Even more further.. runs fine on the 4K pendant but that's on an LG 4K, also fine on the FTV mk1 feeding a Tesco 24" HD Ready LED. I'm not sure if that puts a line under it or not..

Cheers for checking this for me, thank you. A couple of mates have also tried happy feet on 4k sets with no issues, maybe it's not suited to 1080 sets yet other films seem ok ?.

I wonder what I could be, I've started a return replacement with Amazon but they won't do it via email, they want said because of personal details it has to be over the phone. That's annoying.

Don't know what to do.

Cheers for checking this for me, thank you. A couple of mates have also tried happy feet on 4k sets with no issues, maybe it's not suited to 1080 sets yet other films seem ok ?.

I wonder what I could be, I've started a return replacement with Amazon but they won't do it via email, they want said because of personal details it has to be over the phone. That's annoying.

Don't know what to do.
I double checked last night too after reading what @paulkebab said.
I have very limited frame rate information, but I’m as sure as I can be that it’s not 24fps.
Whatever frame rate it is, it played smoothly on my C7 OLED on both the firestick and the built in tv app.
I’m completely out of ideas I’m afraid.

I double checked last night too after reading what @paulkebab said.
I have very limited frame rate information, but I’m as sure as I can be that it’s not 24fps.
Whatever frame rate it is, it played smoothly on my C7 OLED on both the firestick and the built in tv app.
I’m completely out of ideas I’m afraid.

It's odd isn't it, I've tried with match frame rate off and it stops the big happy 1 second judders but then it's fragmented in smaller but still annoying judders, also the image quality looks poor to on that film.

Anyway it's being replaced but seeing as Paul has the same issue I'm not confident.
Thanks for trying Andrew .

I'll be interested to see how this goes, very strange. What I'm saying Andrew is that it appears the film is originally 24Hz but the stick isn't changing it to 50/60Hz which could actually be a duffer.

I'll be interested to see how this goes, very strange. What I'm saying Andrew is that it appears the film is originally 24Hz but the stick isn't changing it to 50/60Hz which could actually be a duffer.
I’m sure it was shot at 24fps. It would be unusual if it wasn’t.
LG sets have a Real Cinema setting which correctly displays 24fps content. That setting becomes unavailable for any other frame rate.
For this movie it’s unavailable, so I have to assume it’s not 24fps.
That’s the limit of the information I have at my disposal, so I have no idea what frame rate it is from Amazon.
Reading between the lines, it appears my stick is behaving the same way as yours, but for some reason my TV has no issue with it whereas yours and Panmans clearly do.

Ok just trying happy feet with resolution set to 1080/50 and it plays smoothly... does this mean my stick is faulty or that auto resolution is not working correctly ?.

Happy feet 2 is fine... :laugh:

I have a 1080p TV, mainly want to get this for matching frame rate, does this detect 24p films and run them smoothly (in the main).

I'm finding the ads at the beginning of prime films to be far to loud, I've tried the volume levelling setting but it seems to hinder the main listening volume, any other way around that ?.

Also I initially turned off the clicking sound for the remote buttons but I cannot find that setting any where now ?.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom