NEWS: All new 4K HDR Fire TV costs just £69.99

So, it's basically the old one but smaller and cheaper... So no need to upgrade?

crabby

Mustn't forget this is just the first of two devices expected this year. The other, the cube version, will include an Echo Dot built in and more impressive spec. I'm waiting for that one.

Mustn't forget this is just the first of two devices expected this year. The other, the cube version, will include an Echo Dot built in and more impressive spec. I'm waiting for that one.

When is that expected?

When is that expected?
This year or early next. It has not been announced yet but expected soon. Follow on AFTV News for the latest.

I would happily replace my Shield with one of these if you could voice search all the streaming services at once, which the Shield doesn't (it only does Netflix and Google Play).

I have a first generation AFTV box, which doesn't output 4k. It looks like this new one will be better, especially for when I get a 4k TV. Is there a comparison between the 3 models anywhere?

All looks great apart from the removal of the internal Ethernet socket, you have to pay £13.99 for an external one. I know that this product is aimed at the masses who just like to use Wi-Fi but to get 4k content you are going to have to use a wired connection, all a bit strange really.

but to get 4k content you are going to have to use a wired connection, all a bit strange really.
Nah.

I use a 4K Gen two wirelessly in my bedroom, away from the router, and even there I have no trouble with 4K.

I'm sure this is just a replacement for the fire stick, bringing 4k support. Once released the existing stick will be discontinued.

No USB ports so even worse than the original one.

All looks great apart from the removal of the internal Ethernet socket, you have to pay £13.99 for an external one. I know that this product is aimed at the masses who just like to use Wi-Fi but to get 4k content you are going to have to use a wired connection, all a bit strange really.
Why? You only need about 25mbps down to stream 4k. WiFi will do it no problem.

I have one of these on order. Mainly to escape the crappy abandoned FirefoxOS I deal with now on my TV. The voice control stuff could be interesting. Looks like a decent option for the price. Being Amazon, easy to return if it doesn't work out. No brainer for me.

Also looks like a change in pricing policy from Amazon given that this is most likely the long term successor to the previous Fire Stick range but is £30 most expensive. Although that is probably just bringing it in line with the market as Chromecast Ultra is a similar price for 4k.

I'm not a big fan of plug-in bits. My existing Amazon box has the ethernet socket embedded, rather than needing an adapter. As I don't have any 4K-ready kit yet, I don't see any need to replace what I have unless what I have dies on me.

I'm also not a fan of wi-fi only streaming. I know that it works for many, and in fact I have a FireTV stick on a bedroom TV and this generally works OK, but for me, glitch-free viewing can only really be guaranteed using an ethernet connection. Old skool? Maybe.

It sounds like the second, bigger box may be worth waiting for in any event. Adding support for NowTV would be a nice touch, but that will be very unlikely I suspect, although that said, watching stuff on low-res NowTV is a non-starter for me. I can always dream that Sky will do the decent thing at some point and offer its content in 1080i/p resolution and with multi-channel audio. Sky giving their customers what they want -- that would be novel.

Clem

Does this new Amazon box support Dolby Vision?

NO.

But I am hopeful the Cube that comes later might.
That is a shame - I was looking at this as a possible alternative to the new Apple 4k box.

A killer feature for either box would be the ability to search for programs across Netflix, Amazon, etc.

A killer feature for either box would be the ability to search for programs across Netflix, Amazon, etc.

They already do this in a fashion - if you search for something now it gives you option of watching on Amazon or Netflix (this was added a few months back). Stops you paying for something that is already on Netflix.

All very good but it’s (already) Apple 4k TV for me. Nothing against the fire stick. It would be good to see how they compare image quality wise.

Do we know which movies will be available in HDR from their service? I've not bought anything from Prime video before but it looks like movies are either HD or SD, no HDR mentioned.

And are those who made purchases getting a free upgrade? Does anyone actually buy anything on that service?

Sadly no Dolby Vision like the Chromecast Ultra. Great price though.

So stick this behind your tv and then have a stupid power lead running down, why o why.

Last edited:
So stick this behind your tv and then have a stupid power lead running down, why o why.
If its a 5V device and you have a spare USB socket of the right amperage you might be able to power it from that. This is how I power my Chromecasts. No need to use the power supply.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom