News about or alternatives to the Yamaha WXA-50?

rauer

Established Member
Reaction score
My music/TV setup has currently no room for a full sized amp. It includes a pair of B&W 805 speakers and a Velodyne SPL 1200 subwoofer. For quite a few years I have been using the NAD D7050 amp and it has been good enough in this use - even though the network connection was lost every now and then and there was no adjustment for audio delay not being a proper AV receiver. But now the amp broke for the second time and I think it is time to get something new. It seems that audio quality and size wise the Yamaha WXA-50 would be a good replacement. But I am a bit hesitant due to the model being already fairly old and on the other hand, there are many reports of users having intermittent BT connection to it. Apparently last year some Yamaha website also showed it as having been discontinued, but it is still sold new today.

- Does anybody know if and when there will be an update to the current model?

- Any similarily sized amp recommendations? Enough juice to run the stereo speakers at moderate volume and good audio quality. Toslink input is a must.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those B&B speakers, are the B&W 805's? If they are, then I really don't feel the Yamaha will do them any justice and really you need to be looking at something will a little more ability in the power end. I'd suggest that you really should be pointing yourself to products like the Marantz PM7000N as this should have enough grunt to drive those speakers so they're tickled the right way to make a musical sound while you can still hook up your Velodyne via the deicated subwoofer input

There are products available like the Yamaha to, but these will cost more than the Marantz mentioned above and these are the likes of the Bluesound Node. This will not bring you better power delivery though which I still feel is the best direction with the toys you already own :)

Marantz do offer an alternative stereo receiver named the NR1200 which has HDMI connectivity

Yes, B&W 805, I corrected the typo. If I had the space for a full sized amp or AV receiver, the choice would be much easier. But I simply don't without doing major furniture changes. But my old NAD has been quite enough for me regarding sound quality and volume and I believe this Yamaha would do as well.

OK, Maybe have a look at the SVS Prime Wireless or Marantz M-CR612, Novafidelity X14 as a couple of other options

Thanks, that Marantz might fit in my system! Have to take a look at it. How do you find the Denon PMA-60? Of course it's mostly just an amp/DAC without advanced streaming and such.

Thanks, that Marantz might fit in my system! Have to take a look at it. How do you find the Denon PMA-60? Of course it's mostly just an amp/DAC without advanced streaming and such.
As Denon and Marantz have a lot of familiarity being part of the same family, with Marantz being more attuned to music, I'd go for the Marantz :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom