NEWS: 8K TV sales fall after LG and Samsung sabre rattling

LG & Samsung had better stop their feud, because any sort of substantial amount of acceptance of 8k flat panels among potential TV buyers, is already facing a very steep uphill climb, without the 2 South Korean electronics competitors throwing confusion into an extremely challenging situation.

Just consider what video display test editor Kris Deering wrote after comparing 4k and 8k for Sound & Vision magazine's June/July issue. Deering wrote this: "I didn't see any clear benefit to the increase in onscreen pixels, despite viewing on an 11 foot wide screen. (I also didn't see anything that took away from the image quality either.) At this point, I feel that 4k resolution is more than enough for even the largest home theater screens and am inclined to chalk up 8k as marketing more than anything else."
(BTW, those very words by Kris Deering are found on page 36 of Sound & Vision's June/July 2019 issue)

Yeah, its readers sure didn't see Sound & Vision magazine recommending that it would be a good idea for them to start saving some of their money for a possible future purchase of an 8k TV.

And, as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, a couple hours ago, world renowned film restoration expert, Robert A Harris, who was responsible for helping to restore such films as Spartacus, Rear Window, My Fair Lady, and Vertigo, has written that even in the case of the larger commercial movie theater screens, he considers the use of 8k to be overkill.

Also, when introducing its SXRD 4k Digital projectors to owners of commercial movie theaters, Sony was actually honest enough, in its promotional materials, to directly state that if members of a movie theater's audience, who have 20/20 vision, sit at a distance of 3 movie screen heights from the theater's screen, which corresponds to the back row of seats in most modern stadium seating movie theaters, at such a seating distance, people with 20/20 vision cannot distinguish any difference between a 2k version of a movie, and a native 4k version of the same movie. In fact, for most people to be able to derive something that approaches the full benefit of seeing the additional detail and clarity that 4k can provide, compared to 2k, audience members should really position themselves within the front third of a theater's seating.

Depending on your taste for brand LG Vs Samsung in a 8k 88" plus size.
At the moment everyone knows there is NO content No streaming , No Disk , No USB ?
The file sizes would be Huge even for a Blu Ray , I think 80 to 100 gigs ?
There is No Firmware yet , No Decoder Box for Normal 8k.
I don't Mean Samsung one Connect Box that's Huge and puts out lots of heat.
What I have read is LG uses OLED and has the Best Colours and Contrast.
Samsung has QLED but does not match LGs OLED but are Developing a QDLED
Hybrid in the near Future , Wait and see ?
LGs Apps are better and faster while Samsung not a lot of Apps , while Search
is not the Greatest Samsung.
The Cost is Too Expensive for a Tech that's not set yet ?
You would need a Huge Screen to benefit to see any difference.
What I think the Consumer Needs is a really Bright panel 1000 to 3000 Nits.
A very quick response time 120 to 200 Hz.
Black Blacks and over a Billion Colours Wide Colour Gamut , At least a 10 Bit Panel.
Add a stand that is in the center of the set instead of Feet that are Too wide to
fit on a Entertainment unit , Stupid Idea.
If you are to spend a lot of money on 8k , Wait until sets have come down in price.
Have better features and are supported with a Player.

Last edited:
Depending on your taste for brand LG Vs Samsung in a 8k 88" plus size.
I was reading that LG did not actually display 8k but Samsung do ?
At the moment everyone knows there is NO content No streaming , No Disk , No USB ?
The file sizes would be Huge even for a Blu Ray , I think 80 to 100 gigs ?
There is No Firmware yet , No Decoder Box for Normal 8k.
I don't Mean Samsung one Connect Box that's Huge and puts out lots of heat.
What I have read is LG uses OLED and has the Best Colours and Contrast.
Samsung has QLED but does not match LGs OLED but are Developing a QDLED
Hybrid in the near Future , Wait and see ?
LGs Apps are better and faster while Samsung not a lot of Apps , while Search
is not the Greatest Samsung.
The Cost is Too Expensive for a Tech that's not set yet ?
You would need a Huge Screen to benefit to see any difference.
What I think the Consumer Needs is a really Bright panel 1000 to 3000 Nits.
A very quick response time 120 to 200 Hz.
Black Blacks and over a Billion Colours Wide Colour Gamut , At least a 10 Bit Panel.
Add a stand that is in the center of the set instead of Feet that are Too wide to
fit on a Entertainment unit , Stupid Idea.
If you are to spend a lot of money on 8k , Wait until sets have come down in price.
Have better features and are supported with a Player.
Its actually lg and not Samsung that meet the requirements needed to be classed as an 8k panel, hence why lg started this bickering with Samsung. The thing is what is the point, there is literally nothing that can be played in 8k, and the Samsung tv's can't even play 8k YouTube files! Utterly pointless at this minute in time.

8k has marginal benefits over 4k given the human eye's limits and the size of UK living rooms.

It would be better if the manufacturers worked on better motion resolution since most reviewers state motion performance of modern OLED/LCD TVs is worse than older plasma TVs..

If you must buy a 8k do your homework first.
The old saying a Fool and their money are soon parted.

Its actually lg and not Samsung that meet the requirements needed to be classed as an 8k panel, hence why lg started this bickering with Samsung. The thing is what is the point, there is literally nothing that can be played in 8k, and the Samsung tv's can't even play 8k YouTube files! Utterly pointless at this minute in time.
I edited my last post as I don't remember where I read about Samsung and LG Who is better ?
Also it is Too early as the Standard is not properly set yet , Remember the early days of large
Plasma's , I owned one it didn't have any HDMI only RCA and Optical ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom