NEWS: 8K TV growth slower than expected new research suggests

Hardly surprising. There is a lack of much 4K/UHD material available from the major resources so 8k in the near future is out of the question.

With current inflation and the current cost of living soaring, not to mention lack of content and zero compelling reason to go '8K' is it surprising that most have other, far more pressing, priorities?
Also, to make it worth it means screens too big for most UK rooms and zero visual benefit from doing so resolution wise.
8K is a money grab based on the false assumption people will continue to think resolution is all, over better colour and contrast.
Both of which arguably will now make much more difference, than even more, even smaller pixels than the ones we already cannot see!
Even 8K gaming in a useable form is still out of the question without absurdly powerful and absurdly expensive graphics hardware.
Again, not really a priority for most at the moment.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no interest in 8K in the size of viewing rooms I have access to. Also, as there is no physical 8K media format for me to buy into I have no reason to go beyond 4K. Also, I can stream 4KUHD flawlessly on my current setup but I am fairly sure it would struggle to handle 8K. Manufacturers, if you want me to replace my ageing but still emminently capable LGE655 then you are going to have to bring out a new 3DTV that is at least as good as my E6 at Dolby Vision UHD and 1080P 3D bluray or wait for it to suffer an unrepairable fault forcing my hand.

8K is utterly pointless for pretty much every consumer, I think most of the 4K success is more to do with the HDR formats that come with it than the actual resolution although we are getting to screen sizes that make it worth it now. The size screen you’d need to to get anything out of 8K will never become mainstream…

I’m glad the resolution arms race is winding down a bit!

or wait for it to suffer an unrepairable fault forcing my hand.
Careful with that thought Cap'n...
Planned points of failure cannot be that hard to engineer in.....;):D

Careful with that thought Cap'n...
Planned points of failure cannot be that hard to engineer in.....;):D
Yes, i've disabled firmware updates and keep an eye on what's out and any issues arising before I decide to update or not.

Yes, i've disabled firmware updates and keep an eye on what's out and any issues arising before I decide to update or not.
Disabling auto updates is the first thing I do on any bit of kit that I acquire too.

Unless 8K comes up with something over and above its resolution bump, it's pointless.

For many 4K would be pointless if it wasn't for HDR and most TVs don't even do that decently.

I tend to keep auto-updates on when I am aware of faults or features in development and I am convinced the manufacturer is working on them. Once the product reaches the level of performance that I require then I switch off the auto-updates.

Who knows which update they scupper the thing in though, right? ;):D

I suppose if you are a huge Minecraft fan and have a large DVD collection then an 8K TV makes sense.

I don’t see this as a big surprise manufacturers are always looking for the next big idea to encourage you to part with your money and 8K always struck me as one gimmick too many

77" 4k is fine from 6ft why on earth would anyone want an 8k tv, you could watch the 77" from 3ft and who wants to do that.

No content is the issue and 4k HDR is great anyway. Why does anyone want to buy an 8k tv to sit there waiting for 8k material to be available, the tv will be worn out by the time any meaningful content is available.

I’ve loved TV technology since I can remember! Being an early teen and talking to my parents about why I should be using RGB scart or s video :) But 8K is something I just don’t care about. I find the next generation of QD OLED more interesting. I don’t find 8K exciting. I don’t find it necessary. There’s no 8K UHD discs let alone 8K native movies, the streaming companies aren’t doing 8K, consoles can’t render in 8K. It’s an unnecessary pointless box of nothingness. I’d honestly rather have 4K 3D than 8K. But hey that’s just me.

I’ve loved TV technology since I can remember! Being an early teen and talking to my parents about why I should be using RGB scart or s video :) But 8K is something I just don’t care about. I find the next generation of QD OLED more interesting. I don’t find 8K exciting. I don’t find it necessary. There’s no 8K UHD discs let alone 8K native movies, the streaming companies aren’t doing 8K, consoles can’t render in 8K. It’s an unnecessary pointless box of nothingness. I’d honestly rather have 4K 3D than 8K. But hey that’s just me.
I agree. Let's have better 4k pixels, (colour, contrast, motion) before we go blindly down the yet more pixels road. :)

I can see the market for it in markets in the asias but not over here, primarily because:

UK average internet speeds
Access to physical media
Hit on streaming bandwidth provider end
Lack of compression technology for satellite
Average home room sizes

Netflix and Sky already take the mick with some of the compression leveraged against “1080p” content, to the point where it’s artefact hell, they sure as anything won’t want 8k to be the mainstream.

QD-OLED is far more appealing this year, enough to make me consider a jump over from my Samsung Q90R (which has always been great with native 4K content, but less appealing with anything less than that)

Netflix and Sky already take the mick with some of the compression leveraged against “1080p” content, to the point where it’s artefact hell, they sure as anything won’t want 8k to be the mainstream.
Sky will double their prices for 8K and then compress it down to death so they don't need to spend on more bandwidth - you know it ;)

8K is another way to raise Samsungs profits for shareholders . Under pressure of Chinese competition who drop there 4k panels to overflow the market. It's sink or swim for them in the long run.

8K is another way to raise Samsungs profits for shareholders . Under pressure of Chinese competition who drop there 4k panels to overflow the market. It's sink or swim for them in the long run.
Wasteful and environmentally incredibly unsound. But the Chinese are still opening new coal fired power stations, so what do they care? :(:mad:

Wasteful and environmentally incredibly unsound. But the Chinese are still opening new coal fired power stations, so what do they care? :(:mad:
The green washers in Europe and US are playing in the same league . Environment is now stockholders game..:(:censored:

I don't think it is enevitable all sets will be 8k, 3d was dropped. I'm still hd and haven't upgraded to 4k as I don't like the look of it nevermind the cost.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom