1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 24 in "stretchy-vision" on public plasma screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RobbieD, Feb 27, 2004.

1. RobbieD

RobbieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Over the past year plasma screens have been increasingly showing up in public places, such as airports, hotels and company reception areas. They are normally 42 inch widescreen types.
    :clap:
    Since the begin of the year, everyone I have seen has been displaying BBC News 24.
    :smashin:

But here is what bugs me:
    EVERY single one has been displaying a 4:3 version (ie sat or free-view box set to 4:3 – cutting off the sides of the picture) stretched to fit the 16:9 screen! There really is no excuse for this.
    :mad:

Has anyone else noticed this?

I was also around a friends house last week who has had a 42 inch 16:9 plasma (which he runs from a sky box) since December. Again he had the box set to 4:3 and the screen on stretchy-vision. He is an IT consultant, so technical inability wasn’t the reason. (Maybe not reading the manual was!)

(Also a colleague at work recently told me that this was why he had just brought a new 4:3 LCD TV rather than a widescreen one because everyone looks short and fat on widescreen TV’s! :suicide: )

I’m not against watching 4:3 programs in stretchy-vision – what ever floats your boat and I understand screen burn problems that watching in pillarbox could cause. But it makes no sense at all to crop your loverly 16:9 picture to 4:3, then stretch it back out to fill a 16:9 display.
    :rolleyes:

2. TimG-Kent

TimG-Kent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robbie,

I TOTALLY agree with you. I think it's down to ignorance rather than preference. The amount of times I've been round to a friends house, and had to set up their Sky/Xbox/PS2 for 16:9 for them ('cos it was bugging the hell out of me!).... they didn't realise there were things called "settings" that they could "change".

Bless them.

3. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You know, when I bought my first widescreen TV, I had several people tell me that I really shouldn't because everyone just looks short and fat all the time...

Si

4. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been round to 2 freinds houses and had to change the 16:9 settings on sky, just cuz it was bugging me!!

But It's not olny "users" who don't know these settings, some I know already had widescreen tv, had Sky put in, and the installer didn't even change it to 16:9 grrrrrrrrrrrrr