Newly upgraded HDD (160GB) has done a wobbly...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Maughan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It all seemed to be going so well...

After reading the many excellent posts here about upgrading the HDD in my v.2 box, I went for a Maxtor "Diamond 16" 5400rpm 160GB HDD.

Apart from slightly damaging the clip on the IDE cable (very hard to get out!) - which I don't think has had any detrimental effect - the switch over was easy [thank you Hummer!]. The new HDD was recording everything just fine and the % indicator was recognising the increased size of the drive. All was peaceful in the house.

After 4 or 5 days, however, we noticed some increased ticking and whirring from the box, which later turned into screeching. And the box froze (no controls working at all). And then shut down. Clearly not good. I tried resetting the box a few times (ie. turn off and on) but it all started again.

Is this likely to be a fault with the HDD itself (ie. I should return it and demand a replacement)?

Or a damaged IDE cable (which I really don't think it can be)?

If the HDD was making that noise, is it now dead, or would cooling it give it a new lease of life? If so, what is the best way to add some internal cooling to the casing?

If I try to fire it all up again, do I risk damaging anything inside the box other than the new HDD?

Has anyone else had these symptoms? How did you resolve it?

HELP ME PLEASE!! My wife is not happy (and neither am I) and now my main hobby has been taken from me (sad as that may sound)....

:suicide:

Thank you in advance.

Maughan

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ticking and clunking sounds very much like the Hard Disk head. Can you put the old hard drive back in and test the machine?

3. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes - I will do that tonight and report back.

Any other suggestions in the meantime...?

If the HDD was running far too hot, I understand that the CPU may have been damaged, so I REALLY do hope it is just the HDD!

I have ordered a fan from Sat Cure today - which may be a case of bolting the stable door a bit too late, but I will use it on my replacement HDD/CPU.

:(

4. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If so, does that spell death for a HDD? (And what does the screeching mean?!)

If so, would the suppliers know why it had failed when it was returned to them (ie. could I claim it was faulty and get a refund/replacement)?

:confused:

5. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119

THe supplier should replace it without quibble as long as you have a receipt.
    When a hard drive makes a ticking noise and screeching its generally not well, you will hear noise from it sometimes but ticking is bad, screeching is prob the arm of the hard drive resting on the head of the little platters inside (think record player) and with the disc spinning round is just grinding on it rather than the arm moving up and down. (crude i know to all the hard drive buffs) So get it changed.

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    If you want to check your hard drive for integrity,go to www.maxtor.com and within the support areas,you can download "Powermax",which is a diagnostic utility,which will analyze your hard disk,and tell you of any problems - just done this on my Maxtor 250 GB Maxline II 5400 RPM - it's just reported that the hard disk is failing !!! DOH :eek:

Obviously,you will have to transplant your HD into a PC,& the utility will need to be run off a floppy - but the Windows installer does all this for you,once you have executed the file,it transfers the required files to the floppy,and you then reboot.

HTH.

7. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have put the original (40GB) HDD back in, and the box works just fine (as a tuner). Some (but not all) test recordings, however, appear as "Failed".

So I guess there must be something wrong other than with the new HDD.

:mad:

Any further suggestions....?

Have any of you had frequent "Failed" recordings?

:(

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The Maxtor 160 gig Hard Drives are the most unreliable drives ever made
    They often start to make clunky sounds, and usually fail within a week of
    the noises starting with a really big CRUNCH. This is then the end of the drive
    and all you data. Transfer all data off this drive NOW, it is about to fail.
    Many of these drives fail after 4 weeks from new, there is a reason for them being very cheap at the moment........AVOID

Opps, re-read your post, you already got to the crunch, it's dead.