1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newly installed amstrad drx400, a bit poo?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bilbob, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi all,
    I've reecently had sky installed, and this receiver was supplied. After a good bit of watching, I'm quite disappointed on a few counts...

Firtsly, picture quality... not great is it? Even the main channels like 1-5 are pretty average to poor at times. The lesser ones (music ads etc) are downright cack.
    Secondly, the sound. Why is that the sound from my amp is delayed compared to the tv speakers...?!!?
    Thirdly, and most annoyingly, interactive and text services... my god they are slow... is this sky, or the box?

For normal viewing, I'm seriously tempted tohitch up my old freeview box. Better picture, better interactive menue, text better....
    I wouldn't be against buying a replacement box if it was worth it, but would a different box make any difference?

Cheers for any help.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you have to reroute the circumference wire to the mainframe via the master processor chip without blowing out the fuse in the direct drive motor, which can be avoided by touching a screwdriver on the cat 5 60mm outlet of the 24768.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

PQ on SKY D can be very good but with all UK digital services the final quality is down to the individual broadcasters and most people would agree that the BBC and ITV do not seem to think PQ is important on Dsat.
    Make sure you are connected using an RGB scart cable, shut down any digital processing on the TV and revert to 50hz scanning if possible. Modern tellys don't always mean a better picture when the source material is less than perfect.

The sound is probably being processed differently hence introducing a slight delay, not a big issue unless you are seeing noticeable lip-sync errors.

The DRX400 is the latest Amstrad so it should be able to process the EPG and interactive elements fairly fast however there is a ton of data to shift around especially when very little is cached locally and needs to be downloading on the fly.

I have no real issues with my SKY hardware in regards to video/audio and performance (well not with SKY+ but the 7 year old PACE is real slow) so it could be a problem with the specific box.
    Always worth rebooting the digibox (Power off at mains, count to 10, power up) since in many ways the STB is a mini computer running less than perfect software:)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You've owned a Freeview box and you think Sky is SLOW ? :confused:

5. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had the Amstrad box for 3 weeks and have no complaints. PQ to my Tosh DLP TV is great (CH 5, Sky Movies and Sky Sports are excellent). Teletext, TV guides and interactive are almost instantaneous.Have you experimented with you set up (Cables, scart and audio connections etc)?

6. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I've had 4, still got two, and both are faster than the text on sky... using the interactive features on bbc news or sky sports is painful!
    The TV guide works fine I admit. Except, why onearth can't I type in a channel number directly when I'm browsing the now and next bit to view what's on, as opposed to changing the channel.... annoying! Like I said, these sort of services were better on SOME (not all!) FV boxes...