• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Newer Samsung QLED TVs and the old capacitor problem. Still an issue?

alienux

Novice Member
I'm one of the Samsung owners who had an older 32" 1080P TV that developed the restarting problem due to bad capacitors. The TV was only about 5 years old when it went bad (as opposed to my 10 year old 46" Sony Bravia, which is still going strong). I had decided to stay away from Samsung.

I was at Best Buy looking at TVs, and a very friendly rep was steering me toward Samsung. I told him that I was not interested because of the history of problems with the capacitors, and because of my own TV having the constant restart issue.

He insisted that the 2018 Samsung QLED TVs that are at least 50" or larger do not have this problem at all, just because of how they are built. He seemed very sincere, and again, was very friendly, but before I drop over $1000 on a TV, I'd like to have a reasonable expectation that it's going to last, and not develop the restart problem like my other one did after 5 years, or die due to bad capacitors.

Is this true. Do the new QLED Samsung TVs over 50" not have this issue that Samsung TVs have had in the past

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
I think they’ve fixed it. And it wouldn’t just apply to Q models or certain sizes.

My 8 year old Samsung 40” is still going strong.

MicroCap

Novice Member
I had a friend buy a Samsung Quantum Dot TV back about 3 years ago. It failed in 2 years. The Sony I had recommended the same friend back in 2008 is still going strong. I have two Sony's, one is 11 years old, and another 8 years old, working perfectly. I would probably go Sony if I had to buy a TV today. The X900E, X900F, and X950G series are excellent. I have a relative that has the X900E and raves about it.

alienux

Novice Member
I had a friend buy a Samsung Quantum Dot TV back about 3 years ago. It failed in 2 years. The Sony I had recommended the same friend back in 2008 is still going strong. I have two Sony's, one is 11 years old, and another 8 years old, working perfectly. I would probably go Sony if I had to buy a TV today. The X900E, X900F, and X950G series are excellent. I have a relative that has the X900E and raves about it.

I ended up buying a Sony X830F, and I love it.

My 2010 Sony kdl-46EX400 is also still going strong. Just moved it to the bedroom.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom