1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newcomer needing help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Enigma, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Enigma

Enigma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

As a newcomer to the world of HC I was wondering if you could spare the time to give me your thoughts on the following:

Having read various posts on AV Forums and several editions of HCC I have decided to go for a Denon 3802 receiver but don't know what speakers to put with it. What do you all think of these three - a) KEF KHT2005 b) Mission AV-FS2 c) Definitive Technology Pro 80

Which would compliment the Denon the most? As you can tell, space is an issue in my lounge!

And finally, my biggest headache - what dvd player do I buy?! It needs to be able to play CD-R's, VCD's and RCE compatible. I'm looking at anything up to about £500.

Any help you can be would be grately appreciated.

Gavin.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The general concensus is that the Denon 3802 is the best amp around for the money and many have paired it with the KEF 2005 and reported positively.

The Def Tech Pro Cinema set up is much rarer but I happen to have a mixed bag of speakers which includes the front three with a REL subwoofer that I already had and think that it is superb.

There is also some-one else on this forum who has the whole set up and prefers it to the KEFs (which I haven't heard) but if you do a search on the forum you will find all of the positive (and negative) comments that have been posted.

I have a Pioneer 545 DVD player which cost about £280 and is the bees knees. It is similar to the 444 but has slightly better sound processing and an extra scart socket which makes life easier for connecting it to the RGB socket on the TV and daisychaining the digibox through the second scart.

This player is also highly rated by all of the magazines and forum members alike.

Ian

3. Enigma

Enigma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your help. It is most appreciated.

I have looked at more posts over the weekend and noticed that many people with Panasonic TV's have had problems linking them to Pioneer DVD players. As I have a Panasonic, is there an alternative make/model to the one mentioned above?

Gavin

4. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a 3802 for about a month now, with a REL q150 sub. I replaced my main speakers and moved the olds to the side so I could use EX & ES offered from the 3802.

I replaced the front speakers and Centre with Dyn Audio and they sound great (Look them up in What Hi-Fi and book yourself a demo)

DVD Players - can't really go wrong with Pioneer or Sony

5. Enigma

Enigma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Caylem.

Does anybody else have any thoughts they'd like to share???

Gavin.

6. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you want a mutiregion dvd try this site....... http://www.techtronics.com very good dvds players mods all for you

cheers boogie man

7. Enigma

Enigma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I originally was going to get one from them, but having discovered this forum and the many disgruntled customers who have left posts here about them, I think I'll be taking my custom elsewhere! Trouble is, who do I use?

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try the sponsor in the top right corner of the screen.

Others with good reputations include avland and upgradeheaven

Ian

9. Enigma

Enigma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help Ian. You've been most helpful.

Gavin.