Newcomer, Looking for a 5.1 Surround System with upgradability to Atmos later - Budget of $1500.

Steve L

Hi guys!

Just recently got a 77'' Sony A80J. Currently looking for a 5.1 surround sound system. My budget is $1500. Down the line, I might add overhead speakers to make it Dolby Atmos compatible.

As of now, I'm considering Yamaha TSR-700 7.1 AVR from Costco & PB-1000 Pro subwoofer from SVS. Still undecided on speakers. Perhaps Airmotiv C1+ for the center, B1+ for L&R & E2+ for rear L&R?

I'm very clueless when it comes to audio, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated... or just point me in the right direction, I will do more research. :) Thank you!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi guys!

Just recently got a 77'' Sony A80J. Currently looking for a 5.1 surround sound system. My budget is $1500. Down the line, I might add overhead speakers to make it Dolby Atmos compatible.

As of now, I'm considering Yamaha TSR-700 7.1 AVR from Costco & PB-1000 Pro subwoofer from SVS. Still undecided on speakers. Perhaps Airmotiv C1+ for the center, B1+ for L&R & E2+ for rear L&R?

I'm very clueless when it comes to audio, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated... or just point me in the right direction, I will do more research. :) Thank you!

That sounds solid plan, there is going to be campaign later in the year when you have to send TSR-700 back for the fix of hdmi 2.1 bug if you are going to gaming with it. Another alternative is Denon X2700H but that comes with extra box due to hdmi 2.1 bug, again only needed with new gaming consoles if connected to receiver. SVS PB1000 Pro looks to be new class leader in that price range and you have the "bill of rights" with SVS in the US also so it´s great option for small-medium sized theaters to get some serious impact without breaking bank!

How large room you have with possible openings, also how far you sit from the front (LCR) speakers?

I`m not a fan of the smaller bookshelf speakers and bit suprised Emotiva doesn´t offer larger model. If you have a medium-large sized room with around 10feet listening distance then you could also consider the T-Zero+ floorstanders which doesn`t cost lot more. They would add extra drivers, bit more efficient/less power hungry, higher power handling with the load shared to two drivers. It would be then basically similar to your center channel, having the identical dual drivers all around. These are quite compact slim towers which often doesn´t require tons of space. Keep in mind that you have to buy speaker stands (23,6") for the B1+ so the price difference is going to be very small between these two. If you have small room then the B1+ should be fine. Vertical dispersion is often more limited with the ribbon tweeters so measure the height carefully where your ears are and try to get the tweeters at seated ear height for all bed layer speakers especially as you are going with Atmos later. The surround speakers ideally mounted on side walls each side of listeners so that you leave 1-2feet to rear wall if possible. Alternatively rear wall with the same idea, spread apart good amount and hopefully not too close to listeners.

Steve L

Thank you for your information. Luckily I'm not planning on gaming at all with this setup, it's mainly for 70% of movies (Physical Bluray-disc, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube,...) and 30% of music (Youtube, Spotify).

I will definitely consider the T-Zero+. Just wondering, do you recommend any other alternatives to the Emotiva speakers? Again, my current budget for a 5.1 system is $1500, though I don't mind pushing it to $2K total with tax. Right now, only the TSR-700 & SVS PB1000 Pro are the things that I'm 100% certain of. There are so many options for speakers...

Btw, would you even recommend the Samsung HW-Q950A 11.1.4ch soundbar system due to its simplicity? The room itself is quite small, the couch is 7' from the screen & 6' from the bookshelves on rear wall. Left wall to the couch is 4. Right wall half-open at the end & about 6' to the couch. The ceiling is only 8' tall. There are 3 bookshelves on the rear wall, that can help with surround speakers placement.

Screenshot (52).png

Last edited:

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
search in slickdeals for klipsch, youll find some setups around your budget, as per my research the Reference premiere line is way better than the Reference line, and floorstanding may be too big for your room, perhaps 4 bookshelf speakers and a center channel. Alternatively Elac Debut seems to fit the bill. SVS Ultra may be a tad over your budget but are also kindly regarded. WhatHiFi and The master switch may have other 5.1 reviews worth looking into. Also if you plan to go for Atmos, choose direct speakers for your surrounds (as opposed to dipoles as RP-502S)

Steve L

Also if you plan to go for Atmos, choose direct speakers for your surrounds (as opposed to dipoles as RP-502S)
First off, thank you for recommending those websites, they're very helpful! Can you please elaborate on this? I don't understand direct speakers vs dipoles?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your information. Luckily I'm not planning on gaming at all with this setup, it's mainly for 70% of movies (Physical Bluray-disc, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube,...) and 30% of music (Youtube, Spotify).

I will definitely consider the T-Zero+. Just wondering, do you recommend any other alternatives to the Emotiva speakers? Again, my current budget for a 5.1 system is $1500, though I don't mind pushing it to $2K total with tax. Right now, only the TSR-700 & SVS PB1000 Pro are the things that I'm 100% certain of. There are so many options for speakers...

Btw, would you even recommend the Samsung HW-Q950A 11.1.4ch soundbar system due to its simplicity? The room itself is quite small, the couch is 7' from the screen & 6' from the bookshelves on rear wall. Left wall to the couch is 4. Right wall half-open at the end & about 6' to the couch. The ceiling is only 8' tall. There are 3 bookshelves on the rear wall, that can help with surround speakers placement.

View attachment 1519221

No forget the soundbar if you can opt for real hifi system! Night and day better.

You don`t need large speakers so feel free to proceed with the original plan too, just buy 23,6"/60cm tall speaker stands. Those towers are quite slim too so they can work just leave some space behind.

For the surround speakers i think it`s better to opt for bookshelf model with stands at each rear corners with the speakers aimed toward listener/couch. Ideally you would have placed the Emotiva on-wall speakers at each side on the sidewall but you have window i assume on the right side so it won`t work out. The rear wall won`t work due to bookshelves. It`s a bit shame cause the E2+ could have been used in bipole mode so they would have worked with Atmos system too and the advantage being creating more dispersed soundfield. But yeah another pair of B1+ would be good.

As Rafael mentioned Klipsch is good choice. Models RP-600M, RP-600C (these are the most popular from RP range), but the RP-500M and RP-500C will work fine too. For surround speakers the RP-400M would be enough if looking to save some.. See the models below minus the Atmos and subwoofer.

From SVS the Prime Bookshelf and Prime Centre with Prime Satellites would be popular choice.

Steve L

It`s a bit shame cause the E2+ could have been used in bipole mode so they would have worked with Atmos system too and the advantage being creating more dispersed soundfield.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly, if my room was different, I could've got 4 of these E2+ speakers and place them on the rear & sidewalls to create a better sound field? It would be C1+ for center, B1+ or T-Zero for L&R, and then 4 E2+ for side & rear?

If not, getting 4 B1+ for side & rear will be just fine, just not as good as E2+?

7.1.png

If

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just want to make sure I understand you correctly, if my room was different, I could've got 4 of these E2+ speakers and place them on the rear & sidewalls to create a better sound field? It would be C1+ for center, B1+ or T-Zero for L&R, and then 4 E2+ for side & rear?

If not, getting 4 B1+ for side & rear will be just fine, just not as good as E2+?

View attachment 1519671
If

The right side speaker E2+ can´t be like that, it would need to go on wall, but i assume there is window which means you can´t place it there depending the height of it, if you would be sticking with the good old 5.1/7.1 then mounting them higher top of windows perhaps? So from seated ear height 2feet higher example is typical recommendation, but this doesn´t work with Atmos! And yeah you could have the surround back channels, but they would go more narrow see the picture below. 4 B1+ would work too, they are close to listener and the effect is more directional which could be more ideal if you go with Atmos. But then you need 9.2 receiver, so you can do 7.1.2 (one pair of atmos). Example Denon X3700H, but yeah the price goes up good bit then.

I would push the front l/r to about 7feet apart the same amount as the distance from listener to speakers, so imagine creating equilateral triangle. L/R would be both same distance to center channel. The couch shouldn´t be placed dead middle at of room length wise, 38% from rear wall is one basic recommendation as the midpoint is usually the worst for low frequencies, big null!

7_1_spkrplc.jpg

bipoles.png
dipoles.png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom