• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Newcastle advice

C225

Distinguished Member
Looking for some quick advice, been offered a job in Newcastle on Tyne and have been looking at flats to rent but i have no idea what is considered a good or bad area in newcastle. Any advice on this and any area that should be avoided?

The job is in the north gosforth area but i have been looking at newish flats on the quayside.

Also any other advice locas have for a new person living in the area?

mushk1n

Jesmond is the nicer end of Newcastle, and is where I stayed last year. Without wanting to cause offense I believe the only rough place in Newcastle is fenham but even fenham has nice places.

I'm living out in Cowgate from September, thats near North gosforth, its quite cheap and not a bad area.

Josh

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Quayside is good but because it's down near the river the Metro doesn't go near there, think about transport.
Place to avoid - Cruddas Park. A bit Rab C Nesbitt to say the least.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I lived for thirty years in Fenham and it's a very nice area.
The only trouble is people living around Cowgate etc. started calling it Fenham as well to raise house prices.

C225

Distinguished Member
Quayside is good but because it's down near the river the Metro doesn't go near there, think about transport.
Place to avoid - Cruddas Park. A bit Rab C Nesbitt to say the least.

I've got a car so transport is less of an issue apart from getting home at night maybe:D

script

Cowgate us as bad as it gets! If your gettimg the thumbs up there go with it:D

Fenham is fine but Jesmond is where its at,it really is..

C225

Distinguished Member
Out of interest what are people thoughts on the amount of rent i can afford if my take home pay each month is about £1400?

I was thinking around the £450 - 500 a month mark but i dont really know.

script

Out of interest what are people thoughts on the amount of rent i can afford if my take home pay each month is about £1400?

I was thinking around the £450 - 500 a month mark but i dont really know.

You could haggle to be honest!

Dont totally discount Bensham:D (though it is a **** hole) but travel links are perfect and if you keep yourself to yourself it should be OK:)

Give a wide berth to Felling,its where I grew up and its as bad as it gets..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian J

Banned
Without wanting to cause offense I believe the only rough place in Newcastle is fenham but even fenham has nice places.

It's 19 years since I left the area and there for certainly more rough areas than that when I lived there with Walker being the worst.

I lived in High Heaton which isn't that far from Gosforth

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Re: Felling it's actually quite quiet compared to most places (i lived up the road in Deckham) back in the days that was a sh*thole :laugh:.

The area has quitened down a lot with most of the criminal element being behind bars ;).

Over Newcastle is where you idieally want to be , saying that there are some nice houses down by Saltwell Park , :)

Hitby

Stay North of the river :D I'd look at Heaton, High Heaton, Gosforth, South Gosforth and Jesmond (although that may be out of your price range). Stay away from the Quayside flats as they're full of chavs on housing benefit. Executive my arse!.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Stay North of the river :D I'd look at Heaton, High Heaton, Gosforth, South Gosforth and Jesmond (although that may be out of your price range). Stay away from the Quayside flats as they're full of chavs on housing benefit. Executive my arse!.

Wow did not realise AVforums was sectioned into classes, i'm from a council estate so i must be automatically regarded as Scum :rolleyes:

Hitby

I don't think I said anything about people being from council estates. I said there were loads of chavs on housing benefit. Unless you're a chav then I'm not sure what your issue is?

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
We spent 5 great years in Wallsend, the 'Old Town' by the river rather than the new estates to the north. Absolutely fabulous time, real sense of community etc etc. We were always 'the young couple in Molly Cordy's flat' even after 5 years and were never really 'part' of the community but were never excluded.

During the riots at that time, the Meadowell estate to the east was in flames and Walkergate to the West was rioting away but Wallsend in the middle was having nothing to do with it.

That was 20 - 15 years ago mind and a lot will undoubtedly have changed, especially after Swan Hunters closed.

But its worth a quick trip round to see. It has a metro station and is only 10 or 15 mins from there to the city centre and a bus station, lots of small shops etc. but because it isn't tres chic with the cool and beautiful people, it should be very affordable.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
You could haggle to be honest!

Dont totally discount Bensham:D (though it is a **** hole) but travel links are perfect and if you keep yourself to yourself it should be OK:)

Give a wide berth to Felling,its where I grew up and its as bad as it gets..........

Bensham is pretty bad I've gotta' say. Felling, well the Old Fold area was a toilet, but now there's a Lidl shop in the middle of the estate, so now it's an upmarket toilet.:D

Re: Felling it's actually quite quiet compared to most places (i lived up the road in Deckham) back in the days that was a sh*thole :laugh:.

The area has quitened down a lot with most of the criminal element being behind bars ;).

Over Newcastle is where you idieally want to be , saying that there are some nice houses down by Saltwell Park , :)

Deckham is still a **** hole, the main road has just been resurfaced, so now the escape route is smoother.:rotfl:

I live near the Q.E. hospital. It's quick to get to when you've been mugged or assaulted on your daily travels.:devil:

Gateshead is a great place. Police helicopter is rarely heard nowadays. Maybe 5 times a week if we're lucky.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom