1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby HTPC , Oldie PC builder

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kahless725, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am considering building a pc to input to my Sanyo Z3 projector and have a few questions.

1. The setup i am thinking of has to involve an external Lite On DVD writer (usb2) this is because the projector is on the wall in the bedroom and the pc is going to be in the attick with the wires coming through the ceiling so the dvd drive will sit on a shelf next to the projector. The thing is I am presuming the dolby digital gets decoded on the motherboard and is just read as a file on the dvd so the external drive should work anyone know the answere?

2. I want to input sky (I have an oldish Amstrad Digital Box) so this will be via composite, will the picture on the projector be best through the RGB - VGA lead I have it on now or through the PC with 1:1 pixel mapping.

3. Are there any cheapish RGB input PCI cards out there?

4. I am considering the Leadtech 2000 card with hardware MPEG 2 encode/decode, anyone got any other solutions?

5. Whats this jumping I have read about?

6. What output do you do? 50Hz 60Hz?

PC I am thinking of is:-

Athlon 64 3000
    512Mb DDR 400
    160GB Maxtor DM 10
    Leadtech 2000 Hardware encode decode card
    ATI 9700 Pro
    External Liteon 16X Dual layer write DVD writer
    Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Motherboard (8 channell A850 chip) (I will be using this to output 5:1)

Any comments suggestions would be welcomed especially on the sky picture quality issue.

Regards
    Robert.

2. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1:\ if you are buying the asus a8 deluxe it will decode dolby but it needs either a 5,1 speaker package or an amp to utilise the signal

2:\through the pc using 1:1 pixel mapping

3:\there is one that is mentioned on the forum alot fomr pc world cant think of the name of the top of my head but if you can afford get a sweetspot

4:\Sorry cant comment on that card

5:\Can you be more specific on what you are reffering to

6:\ i output 60htz but it depends on the display you are using

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Love the answer for number 2 :) as I dont want to loose the quality I have now as I had it through composite for a while and it was allot noisier, is this because the pc cleans the signal up or somthing? isnt it the case of rubbish in rubbish out or is the 1:1 pixel mapping making up for it?

4. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well my take on it and it may be wrong as i am new to all of this but the pc will actual scale the image to the native resolution of the display and depending on the scaling capabilities of you GPU it will be able to scale the image a lot more effectively then the video processor in the Display.

and you also manipulate the image via software eg ffdshow.
    to get a better end result

Thats my take on it one of the HTPC gurus may know more

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yes you would be giving it a pixel matched image, but the actual picture going into the pc will limit the picture coming out, if you use composite into the pc then it will probably be worse. If you gave the pc the RGB then it would be better but (RGB) ---> (Composite + PC) will end up losing quality almost certainly.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that I will go for the RGB input card as work gave us a Christmas bonus today :)

Also I have now decided to use my own pc as the "media server" and build myself a new pc. My pc has a 320GB raid system in it which will do nicely so I can use it as a full server and build myself a normal pc with just one HDD.

Must read up on that rgb in card. Anyone have any experience of it?

Should I buy a tv card still? (I wont be using the tuner)

or should I use some third party software to record programs?

do I need a hardware encoder card? Or should I use software encode like Panasonic MPEG2 software that I have?

cheers
    Robert.