newby asking for updated advice on either panasonic TH-46PZ80B OR TH-4685B

postiepaul3

Standard Member
Hi freinds,I'm new here and a qiuck hello to you all. After reading lot's of info regarding the panasonic TH-46PZ85B plasma tv, i was looking for updated thoughts on both this model and the TH-46PZ80B now they are both available to purchase at great prices!
I would like to hear pro's and cons regarding the two models, or maybe is there another plasma going unnoticed that should be considered other than the obvious kuro pioneer range?
Although the extended warranty deals sound good i see the best deals a the time of writing appear to be from digitaldirectuk.com web site.
http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products/index.asp?x=1&section=PLASMA-TV&sizeid=46

So is the picture on both models supberb?
does paying more for the 85b model warrant the extra cost?
or is there a cheeky little number i should check out?

Thanks for your thoughts :smashin:

Julie

So is the picture on both models superb?
Yes, a great picture on both. In fact the picture will be to all intents & purposes identical for the two TVs. The 46PZ85 has in addition to the PZ80 a feature called Intelligent frame creation (IFC) but almost all owners who have commented about it on the forum tend to prefer this feature turned off as while it does make movement appear smoother it can make the picture look somewhat artificial in a surreal kind of way.

does paying more for the 85b model warrant the extra cost?
As well as the IFC option as mentioned above, the PZ85 has a slightly better sound system than the PZ80, nowhere near the quality of a separate sound system, even a cheap one. PC85 sound = Adequate to Fairly Good. PZ80 sound = Poor to Barely Adequate. Up to you really whether you think it is worth it, I would say if there's a £50 price difference then yes, but £200 - no. If you intend to use all 3 HDMIs the PZ85 has a slight advantage because the third one is at the side rather than at the front so it's conveniently situated to use to connect to from both front & rear.

or is there a cheeky little number i should check out?
M&S have a spring sale on right now where I'm sure you can pick up a divine LBD for thirty quid or less:smashin:

postiepaul3

Standard Member
Great stuff, the extra for the th46pz85 is approx £80 over the pz80 model, not to much more for the sound, however i use bose set up for dvds and as long as the tv sounds good enough through the tv for normal viewing that's ok!;)

Julie

postiepaul3

Standard Member
Thanks again, only thing is i currently own Hitachi 42pd 3000, so it would seem like a good idea to upgrade to a larger size plasma screen, and my current plasma is not hd ready (can you believe it) and it cost £2600. :mad:
I shall check out the link to new thread!:thumbsup:

BritBoB

Novice Member
Thanks again, only thing is i currently own Hitachi 42pd 3000, so it would seem like a good idea to upgrade to a larger size plasma screen, and my current plasma is not hd ready (can you believe it) and it cost £2600. :mad:
I shall check out the link to new thread!:thumbsup:
I know the feeling, I own a Hitachi 42PD5000 which likewise cost upwards of £2000 a few years ago and is not HD ready! Saying that I wouldn't have been without it for the last few years and rather that selling it, as I can't bring myself as it is barely worth a couple of hundred now, I'm loaning it to a friend on the understanding that if a day comes one day that I have room in the house for 2 plasma's it's mine to take back. I'm upgrading to the th42pz80 when the right deal comes along.

I toyed with the idea of going larger but decided to stick with a 42" and spend the difference on a PS3 so when I do get the HD screen I can reap the benefits. I have an amp for sound so the speakers are of no consequence.

postiepaul3

Standard Member
I'm upgrading to the th24pz80

what brand is that?
btw i think i'll ebay my Hitachi 42 pd 3000 soon, take my chances, and put the amount towards the new one.
I just want to get the choice right, future proof and enjoy the difference.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom