1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie's question about using Projectors for PC Gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by industrian, Dec 3, 2004.

1. industrian

industrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, this is my first post here and I have a question.

The PC I have right now has been built as a "total solution." As in: 3ghz P4 with HT, 2gb Dual Channel ram, GeForce 6800 Ultra, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with Gigaworks S750 speakers, a TV-In card with my aerial, GameCube, and PlayStation installed into it (The respective consoles' audio ports have been connected to the soundcard as well) and suitable optical and hard drives.

The problem with this PC is quite obvious (with the title of this topic, lol) that right now I am stuck with a Hyundai ImageQuest Q770 monitor. For the "total solution" this 16" viewable screen seems like a weak link when I have 700 watt home cinema speakers. To fix this I started looking at LCD monitors, and I found a suitable one in the Viewsonic VP201S Pro but looking at the price (around £650) i decided to take a look at projectors, for the sole reason that if I'm going to spend over £500 I might as well look for a bigger product.

The ideal product I'm looking for would be a Projector that's quite easy to move and install (LCDs ring a few bells) and supports 1600*1200 (or failing that 1280*1024) without interpolation. I might sound like a complete newbie at this, but at computing I'm far from it (3rd year computing student =P) just with these "newfangled" projector thingies I really don't have much of a clue.

Pre-emptive thanks for anyone who replies.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

I doubt you'll find a projector capable of 1280x1024 native resolution, that's 5:4 aspect ratio which is never used for video material.

While 1600:1200 is a more conventional video aspect ratio (4:3) there are no projectors that I'm aware of having that resolution. The largest common ratio right now is 1280x720 (standard 16:9 AR), with one or two (Sony for example) being 1368x768 (or similar). Even IF 1600x1200 was available it'd be pretty expensive to have 3 planels of that size in a projector using current technology I'd have thought.

IMHO the only solution for you given your budget would be a 4:3 size like 800*600, assuiming you want 4:3 AR for your games systems.

3. industrian

industrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're happy to go 1024x768 then pretty much any 'presentation' type projector will be good for games .. these are generally brighter than 'cinema' projectors, being intended to operate in lit rooms and used for things like Powerpoint slideshows etc., they not well suited to watching DVDs as their main role but for gaming they should be fine.

I presume that the panels themselves do have a specified response time but it's not something you see in the published specs that you use to decide which to purchase, so to that extent it's not an issue.

'Fraid I can't suggest any projectors in this category as I have never researched them, however brands such as Epson, NEC and BenQ are often used I see.