Newbies Mission/Mordaunt Nightmare

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sam1, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Sam1

Sam1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys,

Would i really appreciate some advice, as I ve been having real difficulty deciding which speakers to purchase for a new set-up. :suicide:

Tv - Panasonic 29" 4:3 (Class Act)
    DVD player - Pioneer DV575
    Receiver - Yamaha RXV650

Room Dimensions:
    length - 5m
    Width - 3m
    Height - 2.5m

Speaker Options: (<£500)
    1)Mission M3s (What Home Cinema Best Buy)
    2)Mission M30 (What HiFi Best Buy)
    3)Mordaunt Short Premier Plus (What Home Cinema Editors Choice (Lower score than M3s - but using 308 Sub))
    4)Mordaunt Short Premier Plus Avant (Successors to Premier Plus (I read change was cosmetic?))
    5)Richer Sounds Mix:
    Fronts - Mission M73i/Mission M71i/Eltax Liberty 5+
    Centre - Mission M7C1/Kef Coda 80
    Rears - Eltax HTBP/Mission M71i
    Sub - Mordaunt MS309

I have spent a lot of time researching especially from previous posts on this forum, where a number of enquiries have been made about the afforementioned products without anyone making any conclusions. I find this strange as the 4 packages I have mentioned are all good budget starters which have received good reviews and awards, so surely someone has tested all of them. I myself unfortunately cannot test any of these packages as I live in Northern Ireland and i cant find anyone who stocks them.

So basically what i really want to know is how M3 compares to M30 and how Premier Plus compares to Avant, and finally how do Missions compare to Mordaunts.

Although I do like the idea of a single package, the other option is to mix and match with whats in Richers (please recommend set-up).

Easy really!

Apologies for the extremely longwinded question, I just like to state all the facts!

Thanks for getting this far.

:offtopic:
    As a matter of interest, how would this set up compare to all-in-ones such as the Denon 770SD/500SD, Teac 700/800 or Pioneer NSDV100.

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better than all in one packages thats for sure. To be honest about mission have not liked them for a few years now. They use very cheap of the shelf chinese drive units that have a nice time blowing up when you want to turn the volume up a bit. And i'm not talking head bursting levels either. The premier Plus Avant package is better. The speakers themselves do have upgrade drive units that sound slightly better, but not a massive difference. But its the sub thats the jewel in the crown as it blows the old one away.

3. Sam1

Sam1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

As i am only new to the whole home cinema thing, i have only listened to a couple of systems that my mates have, such as:

Philips all in one something,
    Pioneer DV360/C301/sub and sat speakers,
    Marantz/Mordaunt short package.

To me, all sounded reasonably acceptical.

Would it be worth the extra outlay of approx £300 to invest in say the AE Evo 3B or monitor audio B2 packages over the mordaunt shorts. To be honest i love the idea of these, but i am sceptical that the sound would be too big for my room and that as i have no real prior knowledge it may be a waste of money.

The entire system with Evo 3Bs from creative-audio would cost approx £1300.
    Whereas i could put together the 575(£120 Richers), 650(£280 Germany), Avant Premier Plus (£480 Peter Tyson) for about £950 inc cables - or £800 if i opted for the non avants.

What would your advice be?