1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies 1st HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Danny_Boy26, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Danny_Boy26

Danny_Boy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Please excuse the newbie questions.

I have been reading up on the wonders of HTPC & I am planning on building a system that will sit under & connect to my Tosh picture frame TV. This will play play my movies/mp3's and be used as a PVR for freeview TV, as well as usual PC tasks.

The possible baseline setup is as follows (any suggestions on whether :smashin:, :thumbsdow or ugly would be appreciated):

Case: Accent HT200S
    PSU: Antec Truepower 430w
    Motherboard:ASUS P4P800 DELUXE
    CPU: Intel P4 2.8GHz 512KB Cache

Will these components work well together?

With this I shall be using the DVD-Rom, DVD Writer and Floppy Drive from my old Dell tower. Is it also possible to use the 1024MB of ram from my Dell as well on this motherboard.

Also are there any recommendations on a good Video card that would be suitable (around the £50 mark)

Cheers

Danny

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    I've got very similar Kit so shouldn't be too any probs..

Accent HT201S
    Antec Trupower 480w
    Asus A7N8X deluxe
    Athlon 2800 barton

for Gfx i went for 3D Connect radeon 9600 pro, you can get one for about £60 these days and it's fanless, so nice & quiet.. ;)

What CPU was in your dell? that will help answer the RAM question..

If I was you i'd forget about the P4 and go the AMD route, you'll have a CPU 95% as fast and lots cheaper... Also the Asus NForce2 boards have a damn good sound chip on board.. ( the only one that will do 'real' 5.1 for games as far as I know )

You'll also want a couple of vantec 80mm fans for the back of your case.. about £10 each

I've squeezed 3 200gb seagate drives into mine, and it still runs nice & cool even though the case is fully soundproofed ( Paxmate foam, apply liberally to all flat surfaces )

3. Danny_Boy26

Danny_Boy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :thumbsup: Cheers Dude

Dell is a P4 2.4Ghz which has 2ghz worth of RAM, was hoping that two of the 512 dimms would work in the new HTPC so I could save some cash.

Any other tips?

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    RAM will certainly be OK.. no worries there.
    You might even fit all that RAM in your new board if you are killing the dell ;)

You've spec'd up a VERY nice system mate, not too much else to say really..

Are you butchering the dell for CPu as well ?

If so fair enough, go for the P4 board, but if not, save some cash and get the athlon 2500 (£50), you're way over-spec for a HTPC cpu-wise...

On the accent cases a square of paxmate on the inside of the CD flap keeps the drives *silent* even when ripping at high speeds.

With a truepower psu and a front soundproofed accent case, the cpu fan will be the only thing you ever hear.. Spend some cash on a quiet CPU cooler, either a zalman flower ( should just about fit) or a Scythe kamakaze

( I've got the scythe, running at 1750rpm is totally silent and stills cools very well )

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,519
  6. Danny_Boy26

Danny_Boy26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers again.

Think I'll go down the P4 route and nick the Ram out of the dell while leaving enough so that it runs ok to be a download PC.

How long does the Nedula card take to load the TV, reason I ask is I have a Hauppage DEC2000 that takes an age to load and crashes alot, I might scrap this for the Nedula if better.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    nebula loads in 1-2 secs on my system and hasn't crashed on me yet.
    Picture should be miles better than your Hauppage from what I've seen..

PVR is good too, built into the main interface so no faffing about

Make sure to download the latest version software from Nebula's website if you do go for it, the version that ships with the card is glitchy but they do regular updates.