Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dboo, Sep 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dboo

dboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to acquire my first home cinema gear. I am confused. What is the difference between an AV processor and an AV receiver? Which do I need? While I enjoy watching DVDs, I suspect listening to music turns me on more. Can you recommend a package for me to buy with a budget of betweem £3K and £4K. Thanks.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    1: An AV processor is a box that decodes the digital signals sent from a DVD player and decides which sounds go to which speakers and when. The decoded signals from an AV processor have to then be fed to a multi-channel amplifier whcih will drive the speakers.

2: An AV Receiver is an AV Processor and a multi channel amplifier in one box. The 'Receiver' part of the name indicates it also has a radio tuner built in.

3: A good start for £3-4000 would be the Arcam DV79 DVD player (£1000)and the AVR300 AV Receiver (£1300). This would leave a suitable budget of about £750-1000 for a decent subwoofer and about £1000-1250 for a 5-7 channel speaker package.

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you are a female let me be the first to offer my services in setting it up for you [the audio side anyways] :)

If you are a bloke, I was never here, and the above statement was never issued :suicide:

p.s. as of this Friday I wiil have practically that very setup

4. dboo

dboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.