1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Clamicpo1, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Clamicpo1

Clamicpo1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi, decided to give it a try, I'll be going for a STRATA 390M case, P4 3.4 & 1GB memory. I need advice on a sound card, power supply, motherboard & graphics. It will be used for purely as a media center.

P.S it will be connected to Panasonic 5 plasma.

Charlie

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,251
    Hi Charlie,

For graphics I'd say you want a Radeon 9600pro. If you go any higher spec than that you end up with fans on the card, which can get noisy.

3Dconnect and Sapphire both do a (fanless) Radeon 9600pro for about £70.

For sound I've just ordered my RME 9632, I reckon it's a safe bet to buy one of these based on other posts on here.

PSU, I'd go for either the SilenX ( very well regarded ) or the Q-Technology here
    ( I've just seen one in action and I'm going for this instead of the SilenX, its absolutely silent, and lots cheaper.. )

I'm a big fan of Asus motherboards, though i'm not familiar with the intel models..

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi charlie,

I'd agree with what the Dude says here, I've got an ASUS MB in mine and its perfect. Sound quality wise I think you'd be hard pushed to beat the RME from what I've read, it might be worth checking on how it performs with multichannel stuff from someone who's got one as there seem to be a couple of question marks over some compatability issues. To be honest if these turn out to be solvable then I'm going to be upgrading from my maudio revo to one of these soon.

Owain