• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HHT

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have newly registered on avforums, but have been on here browsing in the past.

After some help if you will.

I'm going to purchase a new home cinema setup very soon and was wondering what I should go for? I have been told to go for alsorts but it is confusing as one says something else etc. etc.

I have a Sony 40inch lcd, a ps3, sky+ hd, have a wii but not too bothered about this being connected (might go in another room).

I'm on a tight budget and would like to spend less than £500 but may be able to stretch to £700 but don't want to :)

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I want it for playing movies only.

Thanks in advance

B

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I have been told to go for alsorts but it is confusing as one says something else etc. etc.

Coming on a forum will be no different. You will get differing opinions. :)

I have a Sony 40inch lcd, a ps3, sky+ hd, have a wii but not too bothered about this being connected (might go in another room).

I'm on a tight budget and would like to spend less than £500 but may be able to stretch to £700 but don't want to :)

Yamaha RX-V667 - £350
Q-Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package - £250 (richer sounds in store only)
Cables - Van Damme Blue speaker cable, Fisual sub cable, thatcable HDMI i.e. £not that much

Job done.

HHT

Standard Member
Thanks Dave. I should've mentioned my room is prob 4x 5 and would have to go for satellites

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Onkyo HTS-5305 or HTS-6305 packages

Denon AVR 1611 / Yamaha RXV-467 & Jamo HCS5 A102. Plenty of people use the Jamos with brighter amps too i.e. Onkyo and Sony. The Sony 2400ES is on offer at Amazon for £250 and is a worthwhile contender.

The most common recommendation for Onkyo / Sony are Tannoy SFX 5.1

Boston Soundwares XS have had rave reviews but I have no idea how they sound. Try the speakers forum (use search function) to see what others are partnering them with. I have heard of Sony being partnered and Onkyo (TX-SR608) so the 2400ES above might not be a bad call.

HHT

Standard Member
I have come across these 2 options, the Jamo a102 partnered with Sony STRDH800 or the onkyo TXSR508? The onkyo has 3d and Pro-Logic IIz which i'm not too bothered about.

Mainly fpor movies and not bothered about music. Is it worth me paying the extra for the onkyo? I will be keeping the system for some time and when it comes to upgrading, will buy a better system and hopefully will have a better budget :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom