Newbie with wifi problems....HELP!

P

puneet_yamaha

Hello All

Let me start with a big thanks for these fantastic boards. This community is responsible for burning a serious hole in my pocket but in the end it has been absolutely worth it!

Now let me mention that I have been searching for a similar post for about a day now but couldn't find anything. So if your aware of anything already existing then please point me to it.

Thing is that I recently bought a PS3 and have setup a wireless network between my laptop with WMP11 & Tversity, and the console via a Zoom 125mbps adsl router/modem. Now I am not trying to stream 1080p content over the network as I can't even stream tiny MP3s since I experience considerable lag (even with JPEGs for that matter) when the console is buffering the data. The onboard wireless card can't upload the data quick enough. I have Netmeter application on the laptop and it shows average upload speed of only around 100KB/s with a peak of about 800KB/s initially for a second or so. I have tried an external 54g Belkin USB adaptor but it's still the same. I understand that my equipment might be very average but I still download stuff from all over the world at 4-5mbps for pretty much most of the day using the same equpiment and yet the PC can't match that speed while communicating with PS3 just few feet away is just not acceptable. I mean upload speed of about .8mbps from a card ‘rated' at 54mbps is just not right. Now I not a complete computer illiterate but it's my first time setting up this media server network. I am sure there must be something wrong with setup and that why I need all the guidance that you guys can throw at me. So please folks help me in figuring out this bottleneck.

Secondly, thinking that the upload speed to be the culprit (n I still believe so), I wired the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable but then PS3 can't find the laptop at all. Apparently people are running the network successfully the other way i.e. with PS3 wired to the router and wireless PC. Surely the two sides don't need to be communicating to the router using the same medium or is it??

Hope I have given enough information and you'll be able to put me out of my misery. Thanks in advance.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
firstly install this PS3 Media Server ....much much better then WMP and TVersity and it has some proper bandwidth limiting options as well as proper logging to help you troubleshoot.

There is no reason why it won't work using your laptop wired and PS3 Wi-Fi. First thing i'd suggest if PS3 still doesn't see your laptop is to temporarily disable ALL firewall and security software.

Give the above a go and see how you get on. Any problems you can post back the PS3Mediaserver logfile from C:\Program files\PS3 Media Server\debug.log

P

puneet_yamaha

Thanks for the reply Uridium. I tried with the firewall turned off and the upload speed now goes upto around 1.2Mbits/s but is still very inconsistent. Also I tried with both PC and console wired to the router and it works like magic but as I mentioned earlier the two still can't communicate if one is wired and other is wireless and this is so baffling.

PS3 media server was a big disappointment too as I tried all day yesterday but can't get it to work. My obsolete laptop crashes as soon as it detects the console (getting blue screen on death). I get this with torrents too and don't think PS3MS is to blame. Seems something is corrupt on my machine and I can't do a fresh installation of the OS either as this is a company laptop with lot of 'big brother' stuff.

Looks like only option for me it to get my own machine but with the car giving me grief that's not happening anytime soon :mad:.

Anyway many thanks for your input.:)

P

puneet_yamaha

Hello again, bit of a devepment here. Finally, I have managed to get PS3MS going. There was a driver issue with the wireless network card. I updated the driver and the system doesn’t crash after starting PS3MS, which btw needs Java and this is what was causing the machine to crash.

Anyway, the console can detect the new media server but I still have the bandwidth issue. I have attached a screenshot (hope it shows up as I have never done this before) of the netmeter running along with PS3MS and I was only streaming an MP3 at that time. You can see in the highlighted area that the upload speed started at about 1MB/s but soon after started to drop and was only about 90KB/s. So all the PS3 streaming gurus out here, can you please shed some light on it now.

Attachments

• prtsc.JPG
    prtsc.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 42

Uridium

Distinguished Member
It does look like an issue with the Wi-Fi connection and nothing more though doesn't it if the problem disappears when you use wired. There are so many possible causes it's going to be very tricky to narrow it down but basic wi-fi troubleshooting should be you first port of call i feel.

You could also try limiting the bandwidth PS3MS can use in the Transcode settings tab.

P

puneet_yamaha

I have tried enough of troubleshooting with the WiFi ,downloaded couple of troubleshooting software, played with channels and all but nothing has worked so far. I think that it’s the Symantec virus protection installed that’s playing spoilsport here, and I can’t turn it off as I haven’t got the administrator rights for this machine. So I bought a long ADSL cable, moved the modem/router in to the living room and have ended up setting up a wired network now. It’s not ideal having a wired laptop but will do me fine till I get a new machine (money aside I would also like to wait and know what people think of Windows 7 ).

Now, yesterday I was streaming an .avi and it played quite well. On average I was getting about 8MB/sec. My question is how does that compare with what you guys get on wired networks? I mean although it’s enough for me right now but do you think it’s still being throttled and what sort of upload speed is realistically achievable on wireless ‘g’ networks?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom