1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie(with some plasma questions).

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NickN182, Mar 28, 2005.

1. NickN182

NickN182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. I have been looking around this site for a bit before joining and was wondering if i could glean some information from your good selves. I am in the market for a new plasma tv - specifically the LGRZ42PX11 - and was interested in getting some feedback from owners/users of the aforementioned set. Anything i need to look out for? What are your thoughts on it and are you happy with it? My budget is 2k (absolute maximum) so please don't tell me to save up for a more expensive set as it simply is not going to happen! If anyone else who is not an owner who feels i should know anything then feel free to post anything or suggest a good alternative.
    One last thing i am an XBOX, PS2 and Gamecube owner and was concerned about screenburn (i think that is what it is called) on plasma tv's, is this a problem. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

2. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The LG PX11 would be a very good choice. ( mine gets delivered on Tuesday :D ). See the thread LG bashing no need! for some feedback on the LG.

Most people think to aviod screenburn you need to 'run in' your plasma on a low contrast and brightness setting about 50% for 200hrs. But on modern plasmas it dosen't seem too much of a problem. My mate didn't even run in his and he's had it 3 years with no problems at all.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At risk of another flaming session, you can do better for £2k. If you have only £1300, the LG might be a good bet. If you are willing to spend the extra, it will get you better quality. Panasonic, Fujitsu, NEC and even Hitachi would love to sell you a better set for up to £2k, LG are still a 'budget' brand at the current time, struggling to catch up to the Japanese builders.

4. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For 2K, you could move up to the 42PY10, which is high resolution. And I know you said 'absolute maximum', but within about 2 months the PV500 Viera's will be available at only just over your budget.

As you already own all the major games consoles, I can't help but think that you would get the Xbox2 / PS3 when they are available - and whilst they will work on all screens, they are going to be geared towards high resolution.

5. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give it a break mate :D , they are not budget..... LG just build their own kit to save the public money... :smashin:

For 2K I would go for a 50" SAGEM AXIUM DLP, the picture quality is amazing... But if your dead set on a Plasma I would highly recommend an HITACHI 42PD520.

Give it another five minutes and somebody else will confuse you more...

6. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With all due respect Ross, how can you give advice on a screen that you havnt even had delivered yet? Just wait till you have had it running for a few weeks first. You may be dissapointed in it yourself or you may be delighted but maybe not best to encourage someone to buy a screen just cos your having one delivered on Tuesday

Steve

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, you LG owners give it a break, your screen may be marvellous to you, or it may simply be a case of the fox who lost his brush, who then wants all other foxes to lose theirs. No respect is due to your attitude, and the PY10 is an inadequate plasma in all senses. The Sagem DLP I could go along with, except for lack of HDCP support. I'd have to point out that the recommendation for Hitachi is also a minority taste here, they were very popular when they were so much cheaper than Panasonics, now the following for Hitachi, and the blind passion, seems to have moved to LG. All I can say is that 99% of all professional installers would prefer to have nothing to do with LG, 2 of my techies get so irate they won't work with them at all. If you guys are just going to recommend 1 brand, your own, the advice soon becomes worthless. Before you say I do the same, perhaps you'd care to read through my previous recommendations, Just about the only brands I don't recommend are those that use Korean panels, ie all the Tiny/hyundai clones, philips, Sony (there's a brand snob's brand if ever there was one) Samsung and LG. All others have their place, yes, even Hitachi, (I'd suggest them to Pioneer wannabes who can't come up with the last £500, no shame in that). Remember plasma displays are still a premium product, and LG are still learning the business. thye are still struggling with picture latency and do not diplay as many colours as the Japanese brands (real ones that is), and it's still a hit or miss affair whether you get working firmware, yet you still recommnd them! It seems incredible to me that you don't put in a covering warning about firmware versions, how will you feel if this guy buys one and gets old firmware? He's gonna be back, and he ain't gonna be happy. Nick, don't say nobody warned you.

8. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW, *** I'm not going there in another thread.... my comment was supposed to be in jest :rotfl:

TOMO : Maybe Ross has seen one running at a friends?

Seems the HDCP support on the Sagem is also causing quite a bit of hassle in the DLP forum, it's amazing how companies are getting away with selling equipment boasting HI DEF and there not....

For 2K you could buy a good setup including a collection of expensive cables these days, maybe the forum needs some sort of buyers guide setting up ? I would recommend a Panasonic, but for some people all the hassle of buying boards etc could put them off.

Anybody got any views on the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PE50B ? A mate is looking at buying one this week.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The board 'hassle' is covered in some detail, and really is not rocket science, loads of non techies manage just fine. Indeed for £2k you could get the panasonic, all necessary connections and a 1/2 way decent surround setup with video switching, meaning only 0 or 1 board to buy. You need to think of the panasonic in those terms, it's the display for a complete HC setup. Then it really makes sense. The Viera series are highly rated by everyone in terms of performance. I'm not enthusiastic about them on a wall mount, they stick out too much, and the display is so big with the speakers fixed, but maybe that's just me, and anyway they look cool on the stand. The sound on them is quite impressive for a TV. Not as impressive as a set of tannoys or cantons in a surround setup though.

11. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly said something last night, but remained cool. But now...

Lay into all the LG owners why don't you - the initial post was specifically asking for opinions about the 42PX11. It's quite justified for owners to respond to that -especially when that was specifically asked for - and out of three that did, one simply said it is very good, one suggested another model and another make, and the other didn't even recommend the LG (although didn't have anything bad to say about it either).

About the only one who has made the comparison? LG is crap? The truth about LG? I have NEVER read anything more insulting in this or any other forum. We may not all be custom installers with with the country's richest client list, but that doesn't mean that a lot of us haven't looked at a number of panels prior to purchase - and in places a bit more respectable than the big name retail park outfits.

And the 'firmware lottery' is grossly overstated - yes there is by all accounts a difference between v3.xx and v5.xx, but beyond that the talk about differences and quickness to blame the firmware gets a little silly. Of course, the good news is that v5.xx was being distributed since before Christmas, and so v3.xx should be well out of the channels by now.

Just to re-iterate to the original poster - the 42PX11 is a very good screen that many people have bought and are happy with. You should definitely view it, along with the other screens mentioned here. Although I would urge you to consider what you will want in a year or so - if you are looking to add the next generation of consoles, you should give some serious thought to a true HD screen.

Oh, and while the 50" SAGEM advice was perhaps a little misguided, their HD-D45 is just within your budget, and does support HDCP.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bravenight, (Brave sir robin) I thought my post quite balanced, nothing but the truth, 1st time around I thought I'd said for £1300 the LG would be a 'good choice' but that if he were prepared to go up to the £2k specified there were other better panels. Nothing more. It's not till you start banging on about LG being as good as or beter than the rest of the plasma world I feel obliged to point out that for a sizeable proportion of their buyers, (including a previous member, now banned, who even whilst trying to get rid of his LG still sang it's praises) have been very disappointed, and are still suffering problems. LG customer service is amongst the worst around, maybe not as bad as Tiny (that would be a hard act to follow!) but poor for a £1300 product. It takes me a week to get a reply by email. That's yet another reason why the dislike of LG. They are just not up there, live with it. Just cos you chose one and you don't like my thinking you can't afford any better (I don't discriminate on any such grounds, you need to grow up), you get all bitchy about the obvious and documented problems your choice of plasma suffers.

13. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well just reading through the post again, I appear to have not pasted in my recommendation for the LG 42PX11... oops

For £1400 I can honestly say it's the best thing I've purchased in ages, having gone from a SONY CRT the difference is hardly noticeable. For your 2K you can get something with a better spec, but is it worth spending the extra for something that only produces the same picture ?

MAW: Have you ever tried to contact SONY ? Now that's a joke....
    I rang LG the day I got mine to check the firmware and didn't have a problem with customer support ! Maybe you just need to smoke a dooby, come round my house and have a look at the difference in picture quality now...

14. NickN182

NickN182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the,um, interesting replies. I didn't realise i would stir up a hornets nest! Seriously though i appreciate the thoughts. I had a look today at the LG screen and i have to say that it is nice but i am not so certain about getting one that is not 'future proof' and am now leaning towards an LCD instead albeit a smaller size. I have seen the Toshiba 32WL48 gets a good write up although my missus is looking at raiding her savings and getting an even bigger LCD! Fine by me! Not sure what type though as i would be more than happy with the Toshiba. Another quick question (sorry): I know people were saying that the plasmas will be ok with consoles but i am still a little bit concerned about screenburn so my question is will an LCD TV be at risk? Thanks in advance!

15. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Consider the Hitachi 42PD5200. £1995 at Comet. John Lewis should price match that (plus a free 5-year guarantee and free delivery). I am thinking about getting one myself.

Lasitha

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LCD is immune to screenburn, but then most plasmas with a minimum of common sense, ie don't go to bed with the game on hold, will be fine. What we maybe need to know is, do you have any exoisting sound components to use in your new setup, or do you just want a TV, plug and play? Or would you aspire to a home cinema setup with surround sound for the max. experience? Hornet's nest? Pretty mild so far, you should see what happens when the bag of McCain's really gets too much for the shoulders.

17. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I pointed out, from three posts by owners of the 42PX11, two also mentioned other choices of screen for a £2k budget, and the other stated nothing more than 'very good choice'. How is that 'banging on about LG being...better than the rest of the plasma world'?

You did not in your previous posts point out negative experiences from owners of the 42PX11, you only related the opinions of your techies, and told owners that their advice is worthless.

I don't mind your opinion of LG products - what I mind is you telling all 42PX11 owners that you are the only one that has done a proper comparison, that nobody else is qualified to offer an opinion about the 42PX11, and that whatever you say about LG products is the (categorical) TRUTH, and not just the opinion of one person that it is.

18. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, if you are thinking about upping your budget, then the PV500 becomes a serious contender.

You didn't pass any comment on my queries about the Xbox2 / PS3. If they are 'on your radar', then I would be cautious about the Hitachi 42PD5200 (and other ALiS panels). I don't have much against them as a TV, but they don't support 720p, and 1080i gets cropped top and bottom - not ideal for a games console that is more likely to use the edges of the screen.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sir Robin, they crop the sides to match the top and bottom, but for some strange reason, the hitachi owners club get shockingly upset with me when I point out the shortcomings of their choice of TV. Be careful, or you will join me in the doghouse. The PV500 is clearly going to be more than the current budget, and it's fair to say that to have your cake and eat it, this is what's going to have to happen. Nonetheless, the most boring choice on the planet, together with some surround sound, is going to take some beating here. Try the NEC VR5 as the display, you can still afford the sound. It may be 'only' a W-VGA plasma, but is HD compliant, and blacker than a very black thing in the contrast department. Bet you don't use the HD bit though, you'll be up for another TV before it becomes widespread.

20. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    MAW,I'm a newbie to Plasmas and I must say your posts have saved me from buying a few plasma screens I would have almost certainly regretted buying when the HD age takes off properly.I almost bought a Hitachi 42PD5200, which was labelled as High Def futureproof and which I now know isn't, the same with the LG mentioned above which looks quite nice, has plenty of features but will be lacking next year.

I've also got a budget of around £2000 and as it turns out I've picked a bloody awful time to choose a plasma with all the new technology and new screens being launched.

I know that breaking through the £2000 barrier by a few hundred quid seems to be a vastly bigger purchase than dropping down to £1800, I now realise I'm gonna have to push the boat out or be very dissapointed next year.

The problem is when you really want to buy something it's very hard not to go out and get what's available now and try to justify it rather than wait a couple of months for the PV500 (which I've decided to go for if it turns out to be as good as it should be) or whatever other new displays come out.

So in my limited expererience of plasma I find it hard to understand why anyone who wants a hgih def screen would take a risk with £2000 on say a Hitachi 42pd5200 rather than wait a few months and spend a few hundred quid more.

So MAW,please keep upsetting people if you have to because your posts are invaluable to newbies.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The next few months are certainly going to help people, what with the new Vieras, and the Fujitsus due out this week. HDCP on the MXE pioneers might yet happen soon too, for the dedicated amongst us. Alas we;ll be waiting till September for Panasonic panels, and even then I think it's unlikely they will be digital nirvana, but HD compliant or panny are down the tubes!

22. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,291
    What Fujitsus are due out this week (model numbers) and are they going to be fully HDTV ready panels with HDMI INput ?

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    P42HHA40, not to my taste, it's ALIS, P50 XHA40, and the SD 42 might appear too. FULL HDTV compliance is on the spec.

24. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    does seem a tad strange that on here and other threads he has been singing the praises of a screen he does not have :mad: i think on another thread he refers to himself and other lg owners.......

i do sincerely hope things work out with his new screen because if he has to come on here asking for help it will be amusing to say the least :D :D

its called digging a hole for yourself........!!

just to confirm preconceptions i am a panny owner :D HOWEVER - i did all my own homework and reasearch/viewing before buying said screen since i did not find this forum until AFTER i had made my choice - so nobody can accuse me of being influenced by the pro panny lobby although i now count myself as being a member of said lobby :clap:

25. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    MAW is the needle stuck ! :D Look in the Lg bashing post and an owner of the LG AND Panny says they are as good as each other now give it a rest!

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One owner, who also says a calibrator said the same. I am checking the truth of this, not hard to do as I know them both. I will accept the opinion of one of those 2 gentlemen on the subject of that instance. Buth there's still the variable firmware, and the doddgy customer service, there is still a recent and active thread with an unhappy LG owner, and I take it your screen arrives today. Honestly, good luck with it, I don't enjoy seeing people squirm, really. I just have a talent for opening my mouth and expessing an opinion some folks don't like. Why should I accept the subjective opinion of one owner, when I have the experience to evaluate the tings for myself. If I could sell wonderful screens for less, I would. It's good for business, and I could sell other kit with more margin than plasma if I could keep the budget down on the screen. My beliefs are sincerely held, and until I have evidence to the contrary, I will continue to hold and speak them, no matter if it drives you wild with rage, as it appears to.

27. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No-one gives me rage I'm just having fun! :D , I love a good discussion!, and I value everyones opinion on here including yours. Hopefully my screen will arrive today and I will give you more information on what I think whan I get it and more importantly when its run in and set up correctly. :thumbsup:

28. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As it appears to drive you wild with rage when others disagree with you also......Anyways I can agree with alot you say dont get me wrong you know alot about panny's or at least you seem to but i for one (if i was in the market) would go to a certain john lewis and get a price match and a 5 year warranty on the said LG now surely even you must realize that this a great deal for a whole lotta plasma this warranty of course must put the average persons mind at rest about the reliabilty of the product!!! Now as an installer or salesmen or what ever you are for your employer (or yourself if that is the case) you have a market and lets just say the person buying the LG (average) would not need your services so of course you do not sell the LG.

29. NickN182

NickN182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to MAW I do not, as yet, have any sound components but this is something that i will definately be looking towards in the not too distant future. As for the game consoles, yes, i will be getting the new ones when they make an appearance. My girlfriend and i were browsing through some audio/tv mags last night and we are definately going for an LCD over a plasma. I will get it from John Lewis because although i have noticed some good deals on-line they tend to fall short on the guarantee side of things (plus i work for JLP and get discount woo-hoo!).
    Still leaning towards the Toshiba but my missus wants a 37" screen so we will have to see. Cheers!

30. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already commented on the variable firmware - IMHO, it's a vastly overstated argument. Once people started looking at the version of the firmware, and some more obvious bug fixes / upgrades were rolled out, everyone started blaming / associating everything with the version of the firmware. To look at it from another point of view, can you categorically state that Panasonic (or other manufacturers) have not quietly changed the firmware version during the life of their panels, or is it just the case that nobody has bothered to check or report the firmware versions?

I can't comment on the customer service, as I've had no reason to use it - but maybe it helps to actually be a customer :)