newbie with sky cannot view any channel please help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by asa_5, Aug 16, 2005.

1. asa_5

asa_5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I used to be quite happy with the four channels (mine does not view channel five). Since i cannot afford to get new sky contract my family and friends insisted that to get a digital sky box without making any contract with sky. With that at least I can have access to some extra free channels.

Someone gave me an old Panasonic DSB30 with a small dish. I mounted the dish on the wall and tried to fix it like my neighbour’s dish.

I don’t have any knowledge of digital stuff and the situation of Sats and never seen how the Sky engineers set the dishes, therefore, I had to move the dish manually to get the picture. I spent all day but could not view any channel.

When I test the signal on the receiver. It shows only halfway signal.
    The strength of the signal is 1/3. (is this ok to view channels? Or do I have to get the full signal with its quality?which I never succeeded)

The receiver seems to have some sort of pre-set channels, when i try to view these listings it just say "Searching for the listing please wait" this will take ages but nothing appears.
    for example in its OTHER CHANNELS it has got ITV, when i try to view it, it says no signal received .

The receiver has a blue card too, I don’t know if it is active or not. If it is active how can I use it.

I tried to test the system, it says ‘please connect it to telephone’ I connected it to the telephone line it still gave the same message.

Does anyone know if the trees could be a problem for the dish? Since, about 30-40 metre away there is a large tree which covers a bit of the dish.

What should I do to get this system up and running will someone help please

thanks

2. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Could be lots of things. I would think that the dish hasn't been aligned properly. The dish has to be fairly accurately aligned to a certain angle, so that the satellite signal can be received.

The viewing card might not be valid to even pickup the freesat channels, although even without a card you should pick up some channels.

3. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. asa_5

asa_5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your reply specially Heinz121 the link you provided helped me set up the dish easily.

cheers