newbie with ps3

jackobeen

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello,buying a ps3 on friday for the kids,never had one before so dont know
what you can and cannot do with them.
1. first of all i am living in spain,is there any difference in buying one from england or spain,prices are about the same.
2.do i need a 160gb or 320gb.only using it for games and bluray films.
3. what is the ps3 media server used for,can i transfer games or blurays
that i have on my pc to the ps3.
4. what is the best way to get the cheapest games and blurays,is it from the psn store or other.
sorry for the stupid questions but i have to start somewhere.

1. first of all i am living in spain,is there any difference in buying one from england or spain,prices are about the same.

The console is technically region free, but the discs aren't so it will play any PS3 game disc you shove in it. The problem is DLC. If you want to download games add-ons for a game you own on disc, then the DLC needs to match the disc region. As long as your account is the same region as the discs you buy, & you can fund the PSN store, then there shouldn't be any problems

2.do i need a 160gb or 320gb.only using it for games and bluray films.

The 160gb will probably be fine. The hard drive is used mainly for game installations (can be big), save files (small), & downloaded game patches (usually not that big but can be). You can delete old game installs to free up space when you've finished with a game, & re-install later on if you need to. Other stuff your hard drive can hold is your music, pictures, videos (mp4's, AVI's). If you get PlayTV (freeview recorder for PS3), this can take up about a 1GB of space for every half hour of TV, but if like us it's just rolling telly that gets deleted when you've watched it, then it's not an issue. You can always upgrade the PS3 hard drive cheaply later on anyway, but doesn't sound like you'll need loads of space. My old 80GB PS3 was perfectly fine until I got PlayTV, & copied GB's worth of videos onto it. Even after upgrading to a 320GB drive, I've still got 100GB free, & that's only because I rarely delete old game installs or patches.

3. what is the ps3 media server used for,can i transfer games or blurays
that i have on my pc to the ps3.

It's used for streaming/copying video/music from a PC to your PS3, wired, or wireless(ly?!). You cannot transfer games between PC & PS3.

4. what is the best way to get the cheapest games and blurays,is it from the psn store or other.

Couldn't say about Blu-Ray films. For full retails disc games, the cheapest way to get them is either online, &/or don't buy brand spanking new games on release day. Prices usually drop within a month or two, so unless you're desperate for a game..wait. Don't ever buy full retail games from PSN. They are overpriced, & would take ages to download, just get the disc version. Normal PSN games are usually cheaper, but aren't available in the shops anyway.

Hope this helps.

thanks kaden 101 for the time and effort you put
into your reply.
i am a little bit wiser now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom