1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dazza7, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Dazza7

Dazza7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a garage built later this year with a study above it. I've decided that now is a good time to install a projector and screen. I have worked out that I can fit a 8ft screen onto the back wall :cool: . After reading on this forum that with a 8ft screen the best viewing position is at 12ft this where I started to hit a problem...

I was/am planning to buy 4 Lazyboy Matinee chairs but after some careful measurements I've worked out that the chairs can't be placed at 12ft because of the staircase. So do I...
    Move the chairs forward to say to 10ft or is that going to make the viewing bad?
    Buy a 5 or 6ft screen instead of a 8ft?
    Or only buy 2 chairs and not invite people over? :D
    I have yet to decide on what projector to buy (I am hoping to go and view some next week) but will have around the £2k mark to play with. Will the projector make a difference where the seats can be placed?

Any help from you guys will be much appreciated

Darren

PS Would anybody be interested in me posting up photos of the study/cinema room being fitted out?

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The 'rule of thumb' that most of the pro's use is that 2x the screen width is the premium seating position. I have an 8 foot screen and two sofa's one behind the other, the back one is a foot or so higher. The closest one is about 14ft from the screen and the back one about 18ft. I am quite happy to sit in the 'front row', but I have a number of friends who find that too close. I have a Sony D50 CRT, but I think if it was a DLP with a colour wheel the problems may be magnified. It really is a very personal decision, but I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and go for a 7 or 6 footer. Why not buy your screen last, rig up your PJ with a white sheet or a white wall if possible and see how it looks.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I agree that a 7ft wide screen would be a good compromise - I used to sit that far from my 7ft wide screen and it worked quite well. I now sit 1.5 x screen width from an 8ft screen but I use an anamorphic lens so that helps reduce the pixel structure. The pixel structure may start to become noticable without a lens or if you sit closer.

The rest of Klr10s advice is pretty sound. :)

Klr10,

Is the D50 the 'Hi Def' model?

Gary.

4. Dazza7

Dazza7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help guys :smashin: