Newbie with Panny problem!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by smudge65, Mar 8, 2006.

1. smudge65

smudge65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My friend has a new Panasonic DMR-ES10 which I expected to work like a charm, but it's having some trouble when recording from the TV. For some reason it is deciding (apparently at random) that there is insufficient room on some DVDs for recording and is coming up with the !!! error. All the blank DVDs we're using are new and the same make. Sometimes it works fine but when the DVD has only a minute or two recorded on it, it refuses to accept a timed recording, giving the !!! error under diskspace. Other times it has done this on blank, newly formatted DVDs. But other times, with the same disks, it works fine!?

It isn't pilot error as far as I can tell because recording is so straightforward. It isn't dodgy disks because sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. So I'm guessing it is an intermittent fault on the Panny - is there a patch?

Can anyone help??

Many thanks

Smudge

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Sounds like a good description of dodgy discs to me.

What discs are you using?

How much remaining space is displayed? (e.g. R2.00 in SP mode, or whatever)

3. smudge65

smudge65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are Panasonic DVD-RAM DISC (non-cartridge) 3xspeed.

The times for an empty disc say 1.00 XP, 8.00 EP, 4.00 LP, 2.00 SP, 1.00 FR

4. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    free from fingerprints? Panasonics are fairly sensitive to fingerprints

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    In that case I think it's unlikely the discs are faulty, Panasonic DVD-RAMs are normally very reliable.

And how much remaining space is displayed when this happens?

Is this only happening with timed recordings? I wonder if you're always setting up the timed recordings correctly:-

(a) Are you sure you're entering a future time for the timed recordings? If you set start and stop times that are earlier than the current time, the recorder will accept them (unlike some makes) and it will put a '!' in the Disc Space column to indicate the recording was missed.

(b) Are you sure the difference between the start and stop times is not more than the remaining space?

(My E85 only puts a single ! under disc space if there's a problem, perhaps this has been changed to !!! in the latest models.)

6. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally, when a recording was successful the recorder displays in the "Program Check" window an !-Mark in the disk-space column. Have you really checked, that the record was not successful?

7. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    If the recording is successful the entry is cleared. A '!' indicates a problem. Possible problems include not enough room for a future entry, overlapping entries, and a recording not completed for various reasons (not enough room, you stopped it, you set it after the programme finished).

There's no need to format Panasonic DVD-RAMs by the way. You can use them straight out of the pack.

8. smudge65

smudge65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - they're clean and new. But that's a good tip for the future, thanks!

9. smudge65

smudge65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you - that's good to know!

I haven't checked this (the recorder belongs to my friend) but will ask her to try and find out if this might help?

Yes, I'm sure that it is a future time for stop and start. Usually using videoplus which also reduces the chance of putting in, for example, a stop time that is earlier than the start time, or similar errors. Very familiar with VCR recording in this respect, so quite confident that it isn't basic pilot error.

Yes - it sometimes even happens when trying to set up recordings of short programmes on empty new disks!! But not consistently, which is the weirdest part. :mad:

10. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I suggest that the next time this happens your friend should record on the remaining disc space without using the timer, using the same recording mode as any recording(s) already on the disc. Let it record until it runs out of space. Then add up the recording times of all the recordings on the disc. This will tell us if the disc capacity really is lower than it should be.